Return to the Quilting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
This one came home...

Posted by mary_c (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 16, 12 at 21:16

I made this quilt for my grandmother about 6 years ago. Shortly afterwards she moved to an assisted living facility, and then early last year to a nursing facility.

She rarely actually used the quilt, but it was proudly displayed in her room.

She died late last year, a few weeks before her 100th birthday. Now the quilt has come back to me. The crease will fall out soon. The colors are truer in the 2nd photo.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: This one came home...

That is a very pretty quilt! It's so nice the quilt and no doubt a lot of memories came back to you.
Best wishes, Corinne

o

This is a beautiful quilt. I would cherish this quilt if it belonged to my grandmother. My grandmother died three years ago and I miss her every day. She lived next door to me and she was more like a mother than grandmother to me.She gave me a crochet bedspread but she was a quilter. I love the bedspread but wish she gave me a quilter instead.
darlene

o

Definately one to be cherished. Beautiful quilt with a lovely story.

Faye

o

Mary, I hope you'll use this quilt and not 'save' it. I'm thinking it will give you comfort and loving memories of your grandmother.....besides that, it's beautiful.

SharonG/FL

o

Mary, I'm glad you got it back, and that you know she loved it!

Donna

o

What great memories with such a lovely quilt. I'd put it in a place you pass by often to remind you of her.

Teresa

o

I think people in your Grandmother's generation like to keep their 'special items' in pristine condition and not use them, because they lived in a time when 'special things' were not abundant. To have a quilt you made her, that she could display proudly, was an honor and brought her much joy. I am so happy this quilt has come home to you Mary.
I also would keep it out in an area you see often , use it when you get chilly, and thing fondly of your Grandmother.
Very sweet :)

o

Beautiful! I'm so glad you got it back. I crocheted my mother a circular shawl and it took me quit a few hours to make it. Her sister was going through dialysis and mother loaned her the shawl one day while visiting.
My mother never got it back and I have never seen any of the family wear it, so my thoughts are it was stolen.

I agree, use it, my mother and one of my sisters loves my quilts and they never use them!
Rosa

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Quilting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here