Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mary_c_gw

Well, that was a surprise!!

mary_c_gw
11 years ago

I was at the dentist last week, and got scheduled for a crown this week. So NOT my favorite day, LOL.

But last week the dentist was asking me how I was doing, and my interests and was really interested in my quilting - quizzing me far more than just average polite conversation. I don't have a smart phone with photos, so today I took in a couple of prints of quilts, and an actual baby quilt that was just hanging around my studio.

He bought the quilt! His nephew just had a baby girl yesterday. I said $40 for it, but he said - no, $50. Silly me, I almost argued with him, LOL.

I didn't take a photo of that quilt, but it is just like this one except with pink in place of the purple, and yellow in place of the orange. I had so much of that hot-air balloon fabric - but, hey, who doesn't love a hot-air balloon?

Comments (9)

• susan_on
    11 years ago

What a great outcome from a dental visit! How nice that he appreciated and valued your great work.

Is he taking new patients? ;)

• mary_c_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Well, you're a bit far away Susan, more's the pity. I've been with his practice for 25 years, but with his former partner. She was great. He's even better.

She retired, and I switched to Dr. Robinson, and he is delightful. He has such a delicate touch, and is always alert to any pain his patient might be feeling. He stopped drilling and grinding in alarm to ask if I was in pain - my eyes were running with a few tears, LOL. Allergies, I said, my eyes water. He was so relieved!

• polardream
    11 years ago

Mary, $50 is much too low .... you should have told your dentist you would do an even trade for the crown! :) Really cute quilt - congrats on your sale.

Sue

• calliope
    11 years ago

It is a darling quilt, and yeah..........it really tickles me to see some of the most unlikely people show interest in quilting and quilts. My g'daughter was the recipeint of my pink (get rid of stash) quilt on her 18th birthday, and she immediately asked me if I would show her how to quilt. I was thrilled. We have had several young, newly wed couples from my husband's church at our house, and most of the gals ask me if I quilted the ones they see about. Most of them have said they've done at least one quilt, or helped their mothers do one. Your baby quilts are so cute, Mary. I can see a little kid just be so interested in the fabric.

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    11 years ago

Mary, Isn't that fun?! And you're right about the hot-air balloons....I love those fabrics! That's a great pattern for large scale fabric. Good job.

SharonG/FL

• nanajayne
    11 years ago

Congratulations!!!Always nice when someone is interested in what we do and wants to buy something. I agree you under price you work but money isn't everything. Great day!! TFS

• littlehelen_gw
    11 years ago

What a pleasant surprize! Cute quilt, what a deal!
    V.

• quiltnhen
    11 years ago

Very happy outcome for both of you, but I agree, he got a bargain!
    LindaB/CA

• magothyrivergirl
    11 years ago

Yay Mary -- almost makes getting a Crown worth it -- almost!

I am very happy to hear you like your new Dentist - since you get trapped in that darn chair. You made his gift giving really easy - no dreaded shopping - so hopefully he will be extra special nice while he is drilling & filling. (Can you tell I hate the Dentist visits?)

Congrats on the sale!