Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lindaoh_gw

What did you do on National Quilting Day? (March 17, 2012)

lindaoh_gw
12 years ago

I went to the Gathering of Quilters with 4 friends. Edyta Sitar was the featured speaker and we enjoyed her talk. We did a bit of shopping and looked at the quilts. We then decided to go to a quilt shop that was having a great sale today. It was a fun day with friends.

Did you so something quilty today?

Linda OH

Comments (19)

• missflippins
    12 years ago

Yes Linda, I did do some quilting. I've been busy trying several different blocks. Some I really didn't care that much for until I actually put them together - now I like them! You are so lucky to have quilting friends and to be able to go to quilt shows! I also watched a few quilty videos on the computer today and learned a few more little tips. One was finishing a quilt with machine binding which will come in handy. I much prefer hand stitched binding on smaller projects, but for a large quilt that will be well loved I think machine sewn may stand up better. I'm glad you had a great day - life is short, we need to enjoy every minute.

Best wishes, Corinne

• tuppermom
    12 years ago

Cleaning the house, errands and grocery shopping. But the day isn't over....I may get some piecing done yet!

• K8Orlando
    12 years ago

No quilting for me but I did visit a couple quilt shops AND I helped a friend shop for a new machine. She's turning in her Bernina for the 440 with the stitch regulator. (Yes, I'm jealous about the stitch regulator!)

Kate

• petalpatsy
    12 years ago

I didn't know it was National Quilting Day. I put on a green shirt, went to PetsMart for a new dog collar, did the grocery shopping, made bacon cheeseburgers with turnips on the side, and pulled weeds in my daylily beds for three hours. I plan to sleep under a quilt--can that count?

• tuppermom
    12 years ago

I made 1 block for my Sylvia's Bridal Sampler quilt and it is too small....boooo! I will make it work...that is what coping strips are for!

• grammyp
    12 years ago

I took the grands to visit my grandmother in the hospital. She was happy to see them, but I didn't get any sewing done.

beverly

• dan_the_mailman
    12 years ago

I didn't know it was National Quilting Day either, but I'm going to observe it by sleeping beneath one of my latest finished projects!
    I did get to spend time with family today, and that was a great thing!

• chickie1
    12 years ago

I didn't get any quilting in either. I had my 14 month old grandson so we played outside, took a walk and watched some basketball. Was planning to work on a quilt later but never got it done. I slept under a quilt. So that will have to count for me.
    darlene

• msmeow
    12 years ago

I made 3 miniature quilt tops and got one of them quilted! :) Also read a good chunk of "11-22-63" by Stephen King.

And did laundry and cooked dinner...the usual Sat. stuff. :)

Donna

• jennifer_in_va
    12 years ago

Well, I weeded to flower beds and turned soil in one raised garden bed. For the third day in a row, I've done cleaning in my fish pond. Also, did some Easter shopping with a friend.

But in between all those things I was really productive!! lol

I finished the baby quilt top I need done 3/31 and bought/ironed the backing. I sewed a lightweight jacket with a really nice batik. And I made a portable pressing/cutting board table. I also pulled backing for more quilts and chose the quilting threads I'll use. I'm ready to quilt 6 quilts!!!

• magothyrivergirl
    12 years ago

I fondled my Batiks I bought in Lancaster on Friday & read the directions on 2 of the Patterns I bought.

I talked to Kate briefly about her friend (now my new friend) trading in and upgrading her machine - deal or no deal?

I worked outside in my yard - beautiful day - so much to do -but my mind was on my luscious fabric and patterns.

I made Reuben sandwiches on the Paninni and Smashed Crispy potatoes for dinner washed down with a few Guinness ~ I'm Irish after all!

Also did a load of laundry.

It's foggy & rainy today (Sunday). I hope to cut and sew bottom sashings to 10 Red Lotto blocks. I find if I break it up into segments, it might get done. I have already sashed 12 blocks.

• teresa_nc7
    12 years ago

Somehow I knew it was the time for National Quilting Day - and I hung a small quilt in my newly painted bedroom. It was made to be a dining table topper, but I haven't really used it for that and the colors were perfect with my new bedroom paint color. But first I had to scrub out what looked like soy sauce stains!

I made bread and homemade dog food, changed the sheets out, hung several pictures and framed needlework, and worked on minimizing the clutter in my home. The good thing was.....I had great energy yesterday ----I'm taking good old Prednisone for an upper respiratory problem which puts me in the Energizer Bunny mode!

Teresa

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    12 years ago

I didn't get as much sewing done as I thought I would but was still productive. The Geezer left late Friday afternoon with youngest daughter's family for Daytona and Bike Week. He called last night and said he's not doing that again! They're all on motorcycles.....I'm not about to say, "I told you so." lol In June, they all plan to go to GA for about 10 days but all the cycles will be trailered.

Anyway, I cleaned, smushed and froze 4 quarts of strawberries for shortcakes, made 8 pints of marmalade (oranges and lemons from our trees) and did end up getting the last 24 blocks of the X-String quilt all sewed together. Now to sew them to the other 24 blocks and decide on a border.

SharonG/FL

• sandlapper_rose
    12 years ago

National Quilting Day slipped right by me, too. Like many of you I worked in the garden for part of the day. We celebrated St. Patrick's Day as well as celebrating an early birthday for me - what fun to have a St. Patrick's Day birthday!
    In the realm of quilting, I made some of my blocks for the Barrister's Block Sow-A-Long. I really wanted to sew all week, but there is just so (sew/sow) much to do this time of the year. Next on my list is to hem several pairs of pants. I wish my legs would grow longer so I could quit doing that!
    Jeanne

• meskauskas
    12 years ago

I went to a great little quilt show with a friend, and then came home and made corned beef and cabbage...so I think I covered both holidays pretty well! :-)

• luvtosharedivs
    12 years ago

I actually celebrated National Quilting Day a few days early with my Mom.

The Southport Quilters Guild held their Annual Quilt Show at the Kenosha Public Museum (on the shore of Lake Michigan.)

I knew it would be crowded on Sat., the 17, and it would be very hard for my 89-yr-old Mom to get around with all those people there, listening to speakers and such.

So we went last Tuesday, the 13th, in the early afternoon, and she was able to use one of the museum's wheelchairs to get around. Very few people were in the quilt display area, so we had a wonderful time gazing at all the beautiful quiltwork.

"Stars" was the theme of the show. I was inspired by the high quality hand and machine piecing and quilting. My Mom was intensely interested in the small "challenge" quilts displayed on one wall. The challenge was to design a small wall hanging (less than 24" x 24") using a color pallet of three shades/tints of a color plus only one other color. My Mom, being an artist herself, was intrigued with the creative landscapes/seascapes and tiny intricate designs of the quilters.

After seeing the show, I decided to add something else to my "To Do" list...learn to make Prairie Points!

Julie

• rosajoe_gw
    12 years ago

Sharon I have been to 'Bike Week' in Daytona many times years ago and it can get intense lol!!! We camped out and about dusk a 'young lady' on the back of a cycle would take off an article of clothing during each circle around the camp. And then there was the long bearded guy with a pet roach that lived in the beard lol!!! You should have gone with them lol!!!!!!

I went to a birthday party, but I did have time to play with the red & white quilt for an hour.

Julie I have had this bookmarked for a long time. I haven't found the quilt I want to use Prairie Points on but I love them on others I have seen, especially baby quilts.
    Rosa

Here is a link that might be useful: ContinousPrairiePoints1Color

• luvtosharedivs
    12 years ago

Thanks, Rosa!
    I saved a copy of that link.
    I've also saved some YouTube tutorials.

Julie

• barbara_l
    12 years ago

My guild meeting was on Saturday, and we had a fantastic show and tell display at the meeting. Was a great day to be with quilting friends.