Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
k8orlando2

Celestial Dreams - Laurel Burch / ALS Quilt

K8Orlando
12 years ago

I've finished the quilt I'm donating to our local ALS Association for a raffle. I used the panels from Laurel Burch's Celestial Dreams and several of the coordinating fabrics, with a pretty batik for the backing. The quilt design is mine. Orlando's longarm wizard, Mary Beth, did the quilting for me. The quilt is intended for either a wallhanging or a lap quilt, even a wheelchair lap quilt - it's 40"x40". We start the raffle on Monday at an ALS benefit restaurant event, then we'll show it Friday at a fundraising walk and throughout the spring at other events. We're planning to do the drawing on July 4th. Wish us luck!

Kate

Comments (35)

• tuppermom
    12 years ago

Beautiful! The colors are perfect and the quilting is exquisite!

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you for your comments! My friend's ALS support and fundraising group is called The Sunshine Walkers, so the Burch panels and the sunburst mariners compass seemed to fit.

• nanajayne
    12 years ago

It turned out just as lovily as I knew it would. The quilting is wonderful. I do hope it makes tons of money for you cause as it is beautiful in many ways. TFS

• vasu_texas
    12 years ago

It's a striking design Kate. The quilting is great. I hope it raises a lot of money for your cause.

• toolgranny
    12 years ago

Wonderful design and wonderful quilting. You should raise lots with that one. Good job, Kate. It's truly beautiful.

• loisflan
    12 years ago

Kate, you must be so pleased with the results. You chose the perfect colors to coordinate with the panels. And even the fabrics are celestial. I love the striped sashing. I think it's a wonderful quilt, and I hope you get great participation in the raffle.

• calliope
    12 years ago

It's beautiful in all respects. The pattern, the fabric and the quilting. It has a happy, dreamlike aura about it and that's perfect.

One doesn't hear about ALS often, but I just found out a past work-mate and friend, with whom I'd lost contact, recently passed away from this condtion and I was very shaken. She was at the prime of her life. I hope your group raises lots of money and awareness, and Godspeed a cure.

• bozogardener
    12 years ago

Beautiful Quilt. I love the designs that Laurel Burch made.

• rosajoe_gw
    12 years ago

OMG Kate it is beautiful! I would have a very hard time letting it go, but it is for a very worthy cause.
    I am sure it will bring in $$$$$.
    She really did a great job, the quilting compliments the quilt perfectly.
    Rosa

• luvtosharedivs
    12 years ago

You are an awesome quilt designer, Kate!
    Your "Orlando longarm wizard" is also extremely gifted.
    You have created a lovely donation for a worthy cause.
    Make sure you keep us updated throughout its showings and the raffle drawing.

Julie

• day2day
    12 years ago

Kate, it's a beautiful quilt.
    I hope you make lots of $$$s for this worthy cause.
    TFS.

~Geraldine

• Robbi D.
    12 years ago

I would be surprised if this didn't raise a lot of money. It is beautiful!! Mary Beth's quilting is awesome, too!!

Robbi

• missflippins
    12 years ago

An unbelievably beautiful quilt. Good luck at raising lots of funds for ALS. I really am in awe! Sigh!! maybe someday.
    Best wishes, Corinne

• msmeow
    12 years ago

Kate, it is wonderful! Mary Beth did a fabulous quilting job (as usual) - perfect designs for the spaces.

Good luck - I hope you make lots of money!

Donna

• faintheart
    12 years ago

Absolutely gorgeous, Kate! Don't think I've ever seen any Laurel Burch locally but I love anything with sun, moon, stars. Perfect design setting for this panel and the quilting is magic!

Hope lots of $$$$ are made to help fight this devastating disease. Thank you for your beautiful contribution.

Dee

• Lurene Cannon
    8 years ago

I would like to know if you have a pattern available for your quilt. This is a really beautiful design.

• Nancy Morris
    8 years ago

That is a beautiful quilt. Great job!

• quiltnhen
    8 years ago

Impressive design. You did a wonderful job.

• baileymeister
    4 years ago

Do you have a pattern for this that I may purchase? My cousin passed away from ALS and I would like to make this for her in her honor. Please pm baileymeister@aol.com

• Char
    4 years ago

Kate, love the quilt. You did a magnificent job! I am especially drawn to the bright, jeweled colors and anything mariner's compass is perfect in my book. Very well done! Whoever ends up with that quilt will cherish it always!

• lascatx
    4 years ago

I love it! Laurel Burch was a neighbor of my husbands in SF before we married. I first saw her things on a trip out there and bought a number of them. I love her designs and colors. I'd love to do a quilt someday-- or even to win that one. Hope the raffle is super successful.

• msmeow
    4 years ago

Y'all, this is a post from 2012. I'm not even sure Kate is around here much any more. She says in the original post that she designed the pattern herself, so I'm sure it's not available for purchase.

• littlehelen_gw
    4 years ago

All, the raffle was in 2012 / 2013 and was won by a friend of ours. Msmeow....yes Kate is still around, happily living in Orlando, retired and still quilting!

• baileymeister
    4 years ago

Thank you for the update. Is there any possible way to contact her to find out if she would be willing to share the pattern for a fee? Today is the 4 year anniversary of the loss of my cousin from ALS and I am REALLY wanting to make this for her in her honor! She is DEARLY MISSED! I normally wouldn’t ask, but this quilt is the PERFECT match to who she was. ANY help would be greatly appreciated!!!!!!

• Kate Pile
    4 years ago

Thank you for the kind comments! Yes, the raffle was a success and it was so much fun to have tickets sold all over the country as well as locally - an then to have a friend win it! I recently did another donation quilt and another friend won that one. Both drawings were done completely independently of me so it was purely chance that both of those quilts now reside with people I know personally.

I didn't create a pattern at the time, but I think I can recreate one. Let me give it a try and I'll get back to you.

Kate

• baileymeister
    4 years ago

Thank you, Kate!!!!! Please pm at baileymeister@aol.com. I am more than willing to pay for your pattern!

• fran1523
    4 years ago

Amazing. Colors, pattern and all are wonderful.

• lascatx
    4 years ago

I didn't notice, but am glad this caught new attention so we could get an update. It is a beautiful quilt and deserves a second look.

• baileymeister
    4 years ago

Kate, I was able to find the celestial dream squares on eBay and now have them along with all the material colors. Looking forward to the quilt pattern so I can make this in memory of my cousin!

• baileymeister66
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Kate, any update on the pattern?

• baileymeister66
    4 years ago

Kate....I am still hoping you would be willing to email me the pattern. I would be willing to pay you for it. I have all the material now and just waiting to hear from you. Please private email me @ baileymeister@aol.com. Thank you so much.

• baileymeister66
    2 years ago

Hi Kate. i never have heard back from you. I REALLY want to make this quilt. could you be so kind and contact me? baileymeister@aol.com

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I’m sorry not to have provided a pattern, but I never had one - and it turns out I’m not adept at creating one I started with the center, then built it out from there.

yhe center can be any mariner’s compass (tons of patterns available online) with a Celestial square appliqued in the center. then 3 borders; 2” each, I think, with corner stones. I really like using striped fabric for at least one border. 8 more Celestial squares were enhanced with narrow borders to a size that looked good, then I made those diagonal blocks to fill in.

Really, any of this can be made anysize you like.

• baileymeister66
    2 years ago

Thank you, anyway! I will try my best. i bought all the Celestial Squares, and fill-in material as close to what you have, as i could. This quilt represnts soooo much loss in my life, since losing my cousin to ALS! This quilt is so her! Thank you for making it. It was meant for me to find!

Have a wonderful day❣️

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm