Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
loisflan

My first true scrappy quilt

loisflan
9 years ago

Even though I have made three quilts with Marimekko scraps, they didn't feel like true scrappies to me because the scraps were not from my stash. This small quilt was made from the leftovers of 10 quilts that I have made. The binding and batting will also be scraps. I was so excited to find backing yesterday that is playful, but not childish, and contains all the colors of the top. With the backing I found, I think it will work for a new baby or an older child. I want to quilt this one myself, so it may remain unfinished for a while while I finish up another project. I just needed to work on something else for a change.

This post was edited by loisf on Sun, Mar 30, 14 at 0:13

Comments (21)

• nanajayne
    9 years ago

Couldn't see the picture. Sounds interesting as I love scrappy.

• nannykins
    9 years ago

Very colourful. Well done..
    Theresa

• toolgranny
    9 years ago

Scrappy depression block. Love it. Haven't tried that yet but now I might. Good job.

• littlehelen_gw
    9 years ago

Ooh... I really like it...very nice!
    V.

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    9 years ago

Ohhhhhh, nice, nice, nice! I'm so happy you're broadening your horizons, making scrappies from a stash and now will have a UFO!!! lol

SharonG/FL

• grammyp
    9 years ago

One of my favorite patterns. Good job, I love it.

beverly

• bee0hio
    9 years ago

Very pretty! I like it & the pattern.

• Joan Dupuis
    9 years ago

Looks great. Gives me an idea for a scrappy one to use up my left overs. I tend to stay with a color theme.

• quiltingfox
    9 years ago

Your depression block quilt looks really good. TFS a pic.

Best to you and yours,
    Sandra

• pirate_girl
    9 years ago

Vibrant & bright, the strong color against the stark white, wonderfully crisp effect.

Am working w/ these Depression Blocks now myself, totally addictive!

• fran1523
    9 years ago

Really nice. I love that pattern and you did a great job. Your workmanship is way better than mine. I always end up with blunt ends here and there.

• day2day
    9 years ago

I like it. This is a wonderful pattern.
    Good job .
    TFS.

~Geraldine

• bev2009
    9 years ago

Bright and crisp were the first words to pop in my mouth. You did a beautiful job, too.

• heydeborah
    9 years ago

Love your quilt and also mari fabrics, being married to a Finnish person I have her fabrics all over our house. I have the small blue poppies on my coffee table waiting to be cut out right now! The fabric from a little place called finn port starts at 35.00 a metre, but you have given me a great idea and a push to get moving. So thank you""". Again, your quilt is lovely.

• bev2009
    9 years ago

I didn't realize Marimekko was Finnish. My best friend's family is very proud of their Finnish heritage. If their is another baby shower, I'll have to make a baby quilt with this fabric. TFS

• K8Orlando
    9 years ago

I absolutely love Depression Block! It's so useful and adaptable. We've seen it in scrappy with white and with tan, done in just a couple colors but lots of different prints, in black/white combos and we're about to have it as a Lotto block in outrageous brights. Every time I see this block I think "Oh! That's the best use yet!" I'm not usually comfortable working in scrappy myself although I like other quilters scrappy projects, but this one inspires me to do this. It is the perfect project for making a couple quilt tops to have around when you need a quick gift and very adaptable to a male or female, young or old recipient. Lots of nice space for quilting too!

You did a great job on this, Lois, and made an extremely appealing quilt!

Kate

• loisflan
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, everyone, for the comments. I have a question for you. This is the backing I found for the quilt. Several people to whom I have shown the top, my DH for one, don't think it is childish enough to give as a baby gift, even with the playful backing, especially for a boy. I've even considered having it quilted with a light orange or tan monkey panto. What do you think? It's only about 38"x46", so it's small for anything else.

• K8Orlando
    9 years ago

Don't listen to them! Babies like strong contrasting colors. I think it's perfect and I like the backing with it. Go for it!

• magothyrivergirl
    9 years ago

Lois,
    I love your use of the leftovers from the Marimekko scraps, combining them with the bright white really let the prints shine.

Before you spend too much (more) time agonizing over this backing fabric, make sure the dark colors don't shadow thru the white on the front. Layer a piece of batting between the quilt top and the batting and look carefully at the white. I now audition all backings this way -- I had a dark print on a light background backing show thru the white parts of the quilt top and it looked like dirty spots on the quilt. I have changed choices of backings a few times because of this.

I like the fabric for the backing if it is suitable. The fancy quilting will be lost on the back. I think the playful backing makes this quilt scream toddler -- not baby --- which I prefer, especial for a Boy.

We have such hard decisions to make as quilters!

• quiltingfox
    9 years ago

I think it would work great for the back of a baby's quilt, because babies need contrasting colors to strengthen their eye sight as they grow.

Best to you,
    Sandra

• quiltnhen
    9 years ago

Love the backing! I think it's great for a boy.
    LindaB/CA