Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
polardreams

Quilt of Valor

polardream
10 years ago

Our neighborhood quilt group got together at my house today and pieced this for QOV. We need to order the backing fabric, then one of our members will quilt it, and another is making the pillowcase.

We JUST finished last years and have to put the label on! (The quilter had a couple medical issues, then her longarm machine was out of commission!)

Will post a picture of that after it is labeled.

Eight of us worked on it and I am pleased with how it turned out. I think it measures 62 x 84 - or close.

Sue

Comments (10)

• jennifer_in_va
    10 years ago

I would consider that a very good day's work for your group!! Nicely done!

• nannykins
    10 years ago

Very patriotic! Good work.
    Theresa

• grammyp
    10 years ago

I think it turned out nicely, too. Great quilt for a great cause.

beverly

• toolgranny
    10 years ago

What a wonderful piece. Someone is going to be very proud to own this one. Good job.

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    10 years ago

It looks great, Sue. Good job by your group!

SharonG/FL

• littlehelen_gw
    10 years ago

How special...thank you to all in your group!

• ritaweeda
    10 years ago

I happened to think the other day, I had made a string quilt a couple of years ago with a lot of red white and blue in it, maybe that could be donated as a QOV. I decided to look into it and didn't realize that there are so many rules and restrictions on the construction of it. I tied it instead of quilting it, and instead of using batting I backed it with flannel and I guess that's a no-no, too.

• bee0hio
    10 years ago

Very nice. Good on you & your group.
    I participated in a local QOV drive earlier this year. I don't know that we stuck strictly to the QOV rules, but we ourselves handed out the finished quilts to the returning soldiers @ a "welcome home" celebration. The mother of 1 of them was the organizer of our project. Very rewarding, it was.

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    10 years ago

Rita, If the label says Quilt of Valor on it and is given to the organization to hand out, then the rules apply. The patriotic quilts I give to people I know don't always follow those guidelines. You can donate a patriotic quilt to Hospice or a VA hospital or someone you know as a thank you for their service and it will be appreciated. The organization was receiving small and inappropriate put together quilts so they came up with the guidelines. Since the longarmers are all volunteers, and they usually supply backing and batting, they came up with the sizes they could handle the easiest. I have a friend in California who belongs to a group/guild whose main charity is QOV so I send most of my QOV tops to her. They finish it, label it and get it to wherever their next destination is. Works for me.

SharonG/FL

• ritaweeda
    10 years ago

OK, Sharon, so if I were to go down to the VA hospital in Pasco, for instance, and tell them I wanted to donate this quilt then it would be OK, but I wouldn't be able to call it a QOV, right?? I was researching a quilt I saw on Fons & Porter last week, (I wanted to make the Sawtooth Star they were doing.) Anyway, while on their site I looked at the QOV link and saw all the rules and said, well that counts me out I guess.