Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rosajoe_gw

starting Red and White quilt pics

rosajoe_gw
12 years ago

I have wanted to make a red and white quilt for a while and this one is for another sister that likes bold colors.The blocks are all 1&1/2 strips except for the white 3x9 sashing. It goes together fast!

This is the quilt called 'writers block' from the book 'Red White Sometimes Blue'. There are 12 blocks exactly like this one with a red and white checkered sashing.

I really like this pattern and I think it would look great in any color or scrappy.

Rosa

Here is a link that might be useful: Re white sometimes blue

Comments (11)

• susan_on
    12 years ago

Oh, that's nice. I've decided to do a red and white one soon too.

• missflippins
    12 years ago

Very striking! I think the pattern would look good in almost any colour as long as white is used with it. I look forward to seeing it finished.

Corinne

• msmeow
    12 years ago

Hmmm....I'd love to make that scrappy! I just love 2 color quilts when I see them but can't ever bring myself to make one. :)

That's going to be a pretty quilt!

Donna

• Robbi D.
    12 years ago

I am definitely going to make a red and white quilt (probably have some redwork in it, too), just as soon as I finish some of these other large projects I've already started. I love the one you are working on!

Robbi

• day2day
    12 years ago

I like it.
    The red/white combo looks fresh and pretty.
    I have a similar blue and white one that I made some years ago.
    I made some blue squares for another project and then the project got put aside while I tried something new. (isn't that how we get so many UFOs!!).
    The blue squares got sent to Nevernever Land (aka the old dresser drawer).
    During a cleanup a few years later, I found the squares and just joined them into a small blue/white quilt.

TFS.

~Geraldine

• luvtosharedivs
    12 years ago

I love this pattern!
    Anything that involves sewing strips together first, then cutting apart surely does go fast! I would love to make this somewhat scrappy, yet color co-ordinated somehow.

Looking forward to seeing the finished quilt!

Julie

• quiltingfox
    12 years ago

Rosa I think it looks really pretty! :-)

Best to you,
    Sandra

• magothyrivergirl
    12 years ago

Rosa~one of the aspects of your quilts I always love is your crisp, clean lines and use of contrasting colors. I'm like your sister who likes your use of bold colors!
    Your whites always look so nice - do you use a favorite?

Did you finish your Bright Eyes?

• K8Orlando
    12 years ago

This forum taught me to appreciate white in quilts and now I can't get enough! This is stunning, Rosa, and it will be beautiful!

Kate

• rosajoe_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks everyone! this is going together so much faster than the double pinwheels.
    I'm already 1/4 finished and I have been working in the yard much more than sewing! Notice the 2 bottom right corners that I have to correct lol!!!

The strip piecing and using the Taylor Shape Cutter makes this go very fast.

Marsha I bought a bolt of muslin from JoAnns with a 50% off coupon. I don't prewash (did the red of course!!) but I did wash about 1 yard of the muslin to check for shrinkage, very small amount. That with the starch that I love to use keeps it crisp.

I have Bright Eyes SITD and I want to practice more on my FMQing before I add more quilting around the center. Several of our members have become very good at FMQing and I'm struggling!!

• loisflan
    12 years ago

Rosa, this is going to be a great quilt. Will it be all red and white, or will you use another color for borders or binding?

Sponsored
Rodriguez Construction Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading Home Builders in Franklin County, OH