Return to the Quilting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dresden Plate pics for Rosa

Posted by missflippins (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 2, 12 at 19:20

Sorry it took so long to finally get to taking photos of the Dresden Plate quilt that was sitting on the bench. As I already mentioned, this quilt is at least 25 maybe more years old. It was purchased on a trip to Milverton, Ontario. As far as I know, it is an "Amish" made quilt. It is hand quilted with prairie points. Something that surprised me is that it appears to have been made in two pieces and then joined.

Anyway, here are a few shots of it.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dresden Plate pics for Rosa

This came out really nice. I love the way it was done with the smaller parts looking like 'hearts of love' all over the quilt!

o

That is a treasure. I admire the way it was quilted and even though I am not a big fan of white this one is perfect. The prairie points are such a nice addition and not something I would have expected on a quilt with that history. TFS.

o

Very sweet quilt. A treasure indeed.

o

It is sometimes hard to determine if a quilt is made in pieces and joined or whether the backing only has been joined so that standard off-the-bolt material can be used, instead of purchasing wider backing fabric. If a quilt is really made in pieces or strips and joined, if done well so that the batting is trimmed at the seams to butt-join instead of overlap, it should not be obvious.

If I am machine quilting, I do this often so I don't have to work with huge widths of material on my standard machine. Oh gosh, it's so much easier. I suppose I'd also be tempted if hand quilting and using a hoop instead of a floor frame.

It's just a really pretty quilt and very soft and old fashioned. I love it.

o

Thank you for posting the pics!! Beautiful! I also love the pairie points!

I never would have thought of adding the hearts with the DPs but it's perfect!
Rosa

o

That's the type of quilt that got me interested in quilting in the first place. It's just charming.

o

You have a treasure there!
It looks like it was well pieced and quilted.
TFS.

~Geraldine

o

The quilt is so sweet. What a heirloom to be able to pass down.

o

This is very nice. I hand quilted mine perhaps 35 years ago in brown and rust tones. It is in the closet.

The next quilt I made was called Lancaster Rose which I still have it on my bed as a bedspread.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Quilting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here