Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
k8orlando2

Fuji Finished

K8Orlando
13 years ago

This was a very fast and easy project. My boss is taking her adult daughter to chemo and radiation treatments several times a week. I made this lap quilt for her as a bit of comfort for those long afternoons at the hospital. She lived for several years in Japan so I knew the Mt. Fuji panel would appeal to her. There's a matching bag to carry it in, along with magazines or whatever, and a little matching Minky pillow. The backing is Minky too.

I wish the pictures were better but it really turned out very pretty. I used a variety of batiks and Oriental prints.

Kate

Comments (20)

• polardream
    13 years ago

Kate, That is beautiful! She will really appreciate your thoughtfulness. Did you piece the large square?
    Sue

• toolgranny
    13 years ago

Good job, Kate. It's just beautiful and I'm sure well received. You make us proud.

• pirate_girl
    13 years ago

What a thoughtful idea, lovely design & execution. You did a VERY nice thing; I'm sure it makes the patient very much more confortable. Thnak you for such kindness!

• sunnycentralfl
    13 years ago

That is so pretty! Wonderful of you to be so thoughtful!

Gwen

• agnesd
    13 years ago

Wonderful and thoughtful!!!

• nanajayne
    13 years ago

Kate, That is beautiful. What a wonderful use of a panel and co-ordinating fabrics. It has to be very special to your friends daughter and comforting to beable to relate to old memories. It brings a smile to have been able to share it. Thank you. Jayne

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Sue - the large piece is a panel. There were 4 repeats in a yard, so I used one for the quilt and one for the front of the bag. The bag (why didn't I take a picture of that?!?) has one of the darker blue/green batiks on the back and an Oriental bamboo print on the inside, with big grommets to put the handle/oording through. I have two panels left and DH has already requested a quilt just like this one for himself, so I guess I know what I'll be doing with at least one of the panels.

Because of the Minky backing, the quilting in very simple with mostly some SITD and a bit of outlining of the pattern in the panel.

• murphy_zone7
    13 years ago

Beautiful. thank you for sharing. I love the placement of the panel being off center. Great idea.

• ritaweeda
    13 years ago

Beautiful quilt and beautiful intentions, Kate. Did you put any batting in this or just the Minky backing? Also, it's kind of hard to tell, did you outline quilt the main elements in the main panel?

• day2day
    13 years ago

Kate, it is beautiful. I'm sure it will be appreciated. This was very thoughtful of you.

I'm also wondering if you used batting.

~Geraldine

• barbara_l
    13 years ago

Lovely, and such a thoughtful gift.

• magothyrivergirl
    13 years ago

Very pretty use of the panel. I really like the way you offset the coordinating elements. I have a few panels I have bought because they were the right price (cheap), but haven't done anything with them.
    This will certainly bring comfort to her. She will appreciate your thoughtful in the Mt Fuji selection.

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I used a very thin poly batting, just to give it a little substance. I usually use Warm & Natural but with the Minky that seems too stiff and thick. I almost never use poly but I had some from another project and it worked the best for this: fluffy and soft. On a Minky-backed baby quilt I made last year I used part of an old flannel sheet for the batting. That worked too.

Yes, I did outline the mountain and a few other details. The quilting is very limited - just enough to hold it together.

I would love to take credit for the off-set design but I really can't. It's a variation on a quilt I saw in a Keepsake Quilting catalog.

• fran1523
    13 years ago

Very nice.

• kay6271
    13 years ago

Lovely! I "hear" so many ":('s" when panels are mentioned, but I've bought a couple whose themes I really like (tea cups & pots and birds mainly). I think there are too many closed minds about some areas of quilting. A fine quilter like you could take rags and make something beautiful out of it!

It's so encouraging to see posts like this project. Usually the only panels we see are for children's projects. It's definitely a beautifully finished project that will bring a lot of comfort!

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    13 years ago

You're so creative, Kate! Even if you saw the layout in a catalog, you've used the perfect fabric and hues to make it elegant....and that came from within you! Beautiful!

SharonG/FL

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you all! I appreciate your comments so much!

• rosajoe_gw
    13 years ago

It is gorgeous Kate!!! I have seen really cute panels for babies, but not too many for adults (around me). I think using a panel is a great idea.
    Rosa

• quiltingfox
    13 years ago

That's just beautiful!! :-)

Best to you,
    Sandra

• buteau3rd
    13 years ago

I am truly impressed with your work. Thanks for sharing .............beautiful!