Return to the Quilting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
I have a question.........

Posted by joann_fla (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 6, 13 at 18:10

I am not a quilter but might like to be. I have seen quilts that have a circular design sewn all over the quilt or some other pattern. Is this done with a special machine or do you just have to practice the technique?

for instance look at this photo

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: I have a question.........

Aren't those the cutest patterns. There are several ways to get them, you can purchase papers with them printed and sew over the pattern, you can draw them yourself then sew, or you can just freehand stitch them. If you have a long or mid arm machine you can purchase pantographs (patterns) and follow them with a pointer. It looks to me like those were done freehand by someone with lots of practice.

beverly

o

You can use a regular sewing machine but it would take some practice. Colleen

o

There are many sites that will have Free Motion Quilting (FMQ) tutorials, but here is just one where she demonstrates one each day for a year - it will help you see the process.

Here is a link that might be useful: FMQ

o

Oh, too funny - your example is a mug rug that was made by my friend Carol, mamacjt on Flickr. We do free-motion quilting like that all the time, using a darning foot and dropping the feed dogs. Practice on a sandwich scrap until you have the technique and tension right and then just go for it! It's really quite easy. Any meandering line where you can just go and go and not cross over your own stitching works. I think the first one I did was heart shaped leaves on a vine. Draw it out first on paper just so you have a reference, that helps.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Quilting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here