Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lindaoh_gw

Are you quilting this weekend? March 23-25

lindaoh_gw
12 years ago

I finished two BOMs for March today. My next project is a Dr. Seuss quilt that has been on my design wall since last week. We were gone for a few days last weekend and the start of this week (went to see the new grandson) so I am just getting back to my quilting.

I bought 2 different Dr. Seuss panels and am combining them into one quilt. I am still working on making everything fit together.

Are you quilting this weekend?

Linda OH

Comments (28)

• ritaweeda
    12 years ago

I might be able to finish this string quilt top, I'm sewing the outer borders on now. It's all from my big bag of saved strips. All the blocks are either red or blue, alternating the red ones and the blue ones, the blue ones placed with strips going vertical and the red ones placed horizontal. One 2-inch inner blue border, one 8-inch red middle border and another 3rd 2-inch blue outer border. I might just go ahead and do a pieced backing, I have plenty of stash for it. I think I'll just tie this one.

• jennifer_in_va
    12 years ago

Tomorrow is my guild's all-day Quilt-In, usually hosted on National Quilting Day but had to be rescheduled this year. I am teaching a workshop in the morning, and sitting in on the 2nd half of one in the afternoon.

The day includes breakfast and dinner, as well as a speaker from the Va Quilt Museum on the other side of the state.

Then there is a mystery quilt after dinner (which I think might be the jelly roll races) if I make it that long (or rather, if DH makes it that long with all the kids!)

It's definitely a great long day all my own!

• cannahavana
    12 years ago

I finally received my replacement bobbin case for my machine! I ordered one off the internet and it got here in 5 days. It has been 9 weeks today since I ordered one from my dealer. Must still be on that slow boat from China. I will be sewing this weekend!!!!!

Rebecca

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    12 years ago

I finished the X-String top and want to put a border on it.
    I need to put the binding on the Jewels quilt.
    Uncle J's Ties is ready to be sandwiched and so is the Brown Choc Stars.

I might just sit on the couch and watch TV all day. I finally got the second TV to work so I can watch 2 different things at once. Right now, I'm trying to keep track of 3 basketball games......sigh.

SharonG/FL

• K8Orlando
    12 years ago

Mini-quilts!

• loisflan
    12 years ago

I got a late start this evening, but I started looking at a pattern for a table runner called Blushing Aspens by Frieda Anderson. It's absolutely beautiful, and I've had her hand-dyed fabric for several months now. But, wow, is it going to be a job. After I figured it out, I put it back in the drawer. A project for another time, not tonight.

I have to get some yard work done this weekend. The silly flowers are coming up through the leaves and last summer's debris. This is way too early for Minnesota. I haven't even gotten my taxes done yet. We're supposed to still have snow on the ground. That usually gives me some time to get those winter projects (like taxes) done before I have to start in the garden. Oh, well. I'll do what I can. It is wonderful to have such an early start on spring.

• luvtosharedivs
    12 years ago

Lois, I know what you mean about the flowers popping early. My daffs are about three weeks early, but they almost wilted in the 80 degree temps!

I'm teaching myself to paper piece. It was hard at first, buy I'm getting better/faster.

The block pattern is "Buzzsaw".

Raiding my stash to make twenty blocks for a lap quilt.

Julie

• barbara_l
    12 years ago

Friday night I spent time ripping out seams when I sewed the 1/2 triangles on the wrong side. (pieced pattern part is on one side and solid on other) Good thing I noticed it when I had only cut 4 of them... so it is easy to make more. Today (Saturday) we have a wedding - out of town - so this kills today. Perhaps Sunday afternoon I will get something done. This is not going to be my best weekend for any sewing!

• K8Orlando
    12 years ago

Lois - Frieda Andeson's quilts really appeal to me. I'll be eager to hear how it goes! I'm guessing it won't be easy but it will be beautiful & colorful!

Kate

• rosajoe_gw
    12 years ago

I hope to play with the red & white quilt. I feel like i"m not getting any thing accomplished!!!!!

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    12 years ago

I think the only thing I might get done today is to prepare binding for the Jewel quilt. I made an April BOM yesterday and played with some fabric with sunflowers and black-eyed susans......using the lattice tutorial from Caroline1947.

Was up all night, slept a few hours after DH got up, firetrucks and police cars have been going up and down the road for about 3 hours (with and without sirens)...I'd like to know what's going on, but it's better for me to stay put!

SharonG/FL

• calliope
    12 years ago

Yes..........not a lot, but am finding it better if I pace myself on this top. So, I do a block each morning with my cuppa before I start my day. This would be "Roberta's Jewels" from an upcoming quilt lotto. I am on block 54 now and have decided I'm going to need to do 63 minimum to make it hang where I want it to without doing borders. sigh. It hit me this pattern looked familiar and I notice it's the same as Buckeye Beauty, other than all forty eight pieces of the pattern are in one block, instead of four blocks of twelve pieces.

This one is eating tremendous amounts of scrap pieces, especially the odd sized pieces of assorted whites and neutrals. I have a combined celebration to go to at my son's farm later and have been making some stuff to tote with us like homemade noodles, mac salad and deviled eggs. The hens are laying me out of house and home and I need to use them up a little! DS has finished up the degree he started twenty odd years ago and has graduated. Yippee. DGD turned seventeen, and DD had a b'day before that, plus it's a family farewell dinner as they head to their new home in Texas soon.

• K8Orlando
    12 years ago

Calliope! You've got a lot going on and probably need your sewing as therapy. Congrats to your husband!

• ritaweeda
    12 years ago

Hey, I finished the quilt top! (Lap size) Now I have to decide on the back, as I stated before, I might do a pieced one, now I'm thinking about making it a light-weight one, no batting but backed with flannel, I have a lot of scrap flannel in my stash. The quilt I have on the couch right now is pretty heavy. Has anyone ever done a 70-inch quilt putting the backing and top right sides together and sewing around all sides, then turning it right side out like a pillow cover?? I know there is a term for that, can't remember what it's called.

• calliope
    12 years ago

I believe that would be called 'birthing' a quilt, correct me if I am wrong. A woman would have had to have coined that phrase. Nuk nuk.

• toolgranny
    12 years ago

I've been gone for a week helping Mom. So haven't done much sewing. It's a ten hour trip so had to take a break now and then on the road stopping at any quilt shop I saw. Bought a few things and a few new patterns, as if I didn't already have a long bucket list.

So, I'm getting my life back to normal today and am making birthday blocks. They are so inspiring with new designs and fabrics I've never tried. There are also three or four quilt piles sitting around to be made/finished/quilted and I might dig into one of those if I feel ambitious. Since I'm starving myself tomorrow for a colonoscopy Monday, sewing just might take my mind off my growling tummy.

Wish me luck!

• karpet
    12 years ago

I'm working on blocks for a pieced border on a spider web quilt (hope it turns out in reality like it does in my head) and I went poking in some thrift stores yesterday. I found more wool fabric (I never remember finding wool fabrics before but maybe I just didn't notice) so I'm starting to collect them to make a wool throw.

Rebecca - so glad you got your bobbin case. Shame on that dealer.

Karlene

• nanajayne
    12 years ago

I was productive this weekend for a change. Hand quilted 3 blocks on my SBQ (down to only 29 more out of 140).Sandwiched and machine quilted my "ugly" lap quilt. Only have to trim and apply the binding which is ready. Then to decide what is next to diminish my stash. lol

• K8Orlando
    12 years ago

I finished my first miniature quilt. I have it pieced and minimal quilting done. The binding and label are on, too. I'll be embellishing it with beads and will do some additional quilting as I add the beads. But even without the beads I'm pretty happy with the way it turned out, for my first one. It's 12"x12".

Kate

• ritaweeda
    12 years ago

Uh oh, look out, Kate, those minis can become addictive. In fact, just looking at this one is bringing out that old itch in me.

• Robbi D.
    12 years ago

Kate, I love your mini! Those are some of my favorite colors. I agree, it is already so pretty even without any embellishments.

Not much quilting for me. I was off from work all last week, but had such a long list of things I wanted to get done, I didn't even get half of it done! I was able to get a lot of the outside work done since the weather was so nice. We are doing a raised vegetable garden for the first time this year. We got the frame all built and I have most of the seeds are ready sprouting. Now to find some good dirt!

I worked a little on getting the finished rows or my Dear Jane put together. I got 2 rows done with sashing and corner blocks. I have the sashing cut to assemble the third row and it will be ready to be added to the other 2 rows. I still haven't worked on this month's blocks, so I hope I can get it done in the evenings. My weekends are booked for the next 3 weeks, so not much will get done then.

Robbi

• lindaoh_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I finished the Dr. Seuss quilt top last night. I have to buy the backing but I did make the binding for it. It is for a birthday in August so I still time to quilt it.
    Linda OH

• magothyrivergirl
    12 years ago

Kate~I love your mini! Job well done! Love the blue and yellow combination.

I finished getting all the sashings on the Lotto Blocks quilt I won. I can't play again until I finish the top!

I also got a special quilt ready to be quilted. It has been so long, now I have to dust the quilter - for real :)

• loisflan
    12 years ago

Beautiful mini, Kate. I have to ask... is that an original design or did you copy it from somewhere? Lois

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    12 years ago

Question: What can be done with the mini quilts? As cute as they are......are they functional?

SharonG/FL

• K8Orlando
    12 years ago

Lois, the design is original. I had some left over 'bonus' HSTs from another project and added a couple borders. The outer corners were fussy cut.

Sharon, I don't think they are functional unless you have a doll house. Just decorative. I've never made them before because I had no idea what I would do with them! But the guild sells all they can get; I think they go from $5 up to $45 or more. For me, it's a good way to use scraps and to try out new patterns and color combos. I've discovered they are fun to make!

Kate

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    12 years ago

Thanks for answering, Kate. Makes me wonder what the people that buy them use them for. I can understand maybe a setting of 2 or three in picture frames for wall decor, or even putting them underglass to use as a tray ~ probably wouldn't be able to get it as liquid tight as needed for a tray......would be kind of cute, though. @:)

SharonG/FL

• magothyrivergirl
    12 years ago

Sharon, I agree - what do they do with them??? We saw some adorable ones displayed at the Lancaster Show - for sale at a vender booth - some were very, very small and framed, others were on the little wire hangers. They were selling the patterns and kits. I am in awe of the miniatures that look like complete quilts. Sally Collins has written a complete book about precision piecing them. I read the entire book before I realized the quilts were miniatures - they were that intricate that they looked like spectacular full size quilts!

Sponsored
ANF Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Innovative & Creative Kitchen & Bath Designers Servicing VA