Return to the Quilting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
double pinwheel pics

Posted by rosajoe (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 9, 12 at 17:33

I have been wanting to make this for a while. It's Eleanor Burn's Double Pinwheel pattern. She says she can make this top in about 6 hours. I have been working on it for 3 weeks lol!!!
The pinwheels are made from 2&1/2 strips.
Rosa
Photobucket

Here is a link that might be useful: DoublePinwheel

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: double pinwheel pics

Oh goodness, Rosa, it's gorgeous!
The variety of yellows and purples gives it some extra color texture.

I like working on E. Burns patterns, because they're easy to follow, step by step.
She says she can make this top in about 6 hours.
Well, I wonder if that includes all the cutting!
I think it's better to take it at a slow, enjoyable pace.

Looking forward to seeing the finished quilt!

Julie

o

Very springy and pretty. I read E's directions from the link.
How many are you making at a time? Maybe she can make it in 6 hours with help from her staff~lol.
It looks very interesting......add it to my list!
Thanks!

o

Pretty quilt and I love your choice of colors, Rosa....daffodils and lilacs! I like to try new techniques but don't think I want to make a big quilt. Big quilts wear me out. Great job in getting the top done in 3 weeks!

o

That's a pretty quilt - but 6 hours?? I sure couldn't do it in that. I spent all weekend at retreat making pinwheels and finished up a piece about half this size.

I like your choice of colors. It's so bright and fresh looking. Good job.

o

Cute pattern and I love the yellow/purple combo!

Does it intentionally use the reverse of some blocks? I see some that have the yellow or purple placed in opposing spots from the others...just curious.

I also think some of these patterns could be done in (6) hours, if you don't stop to pee, eat, take the dog out, feed the family, etc., etc., etc. lol

o

A great colour combination for a very clean, crisp look to the quilt. Thank you for the link, I think I'll give it a try. Is the wide white sashing along the sides and at the top for appearance, or is this where the quilt will drop down the side of the bed? Sorry if this seems like a dumb question!

Best wishes, Corinne

o

Lovely job on the quilt, Rosa. It's very spring-like. As Sharon said, it is like daffodils and lilacs with the spring breezes in the pin wheels. Very nice work. Lois

o

Very pretty quilt! I can't imagine doing that in 6 hours. It is taking me forever to complete everything I'm working on. LOL

o

It's very pretty! The colors are great and pinwheels are one of my favorite patterns. Nice!

Kate

o

Very pretty and colors for spring!
Linda OH

o

Very pretty, Rosa! Don't feel bad...Eleanor Burns has had a LOT of practice! LOL I bet if you made another it would go much faster.

Donna

o

The colors are so pretty and your pinwheels look great.
It would probably take me longer than 3 weeks to do! LOL.
TFS.

I seldom buy books...very expensive here, and
do not have any of El's.
I am always hearing about how her instructions are easy to follow.
Next time I am at the LQS, I am going to look at some of her books.

~Geraldine

o

Thanks everyone, my sis that loves pastels wants it! I agree, for her to make it in 6 hours she has to have a lot of help!
Corrine, the sashing is just for appearance it just separates the 2 colors!
The link calls this a queen size, but I think they are referring to the book, this one is about 60x60, you could make it any size you wanted.

Jennifer, the pinwheels are supposed to be going in the same direction lol!!!! My non sewing sister was here and she marked some of the diagonals for me IN THE WRONG DIRECTION! It is her quilt and she said leave them! She is one of my family that actually uses the quilts I make for them. My mother and 2 sisters put them in a closet lol!!!

I thought I had a quilting partner, but she told me it's too much trouble! I have a big family that loves and admires my hobby, but not a single one is willing to learn to quilt. They all say it takes too long!
I think I have them spoiled!
Rosa

o

Thank you Rosa! The more I look at your quilt, the better I like it. I would love to see it when it is finished.

o

Nicely done. I like the pinwheels that are going in the "wrong" direction. I think it gives the top interest.
Not everything unplanned is a mistake. Nice to have your quilts appreciated.

o

I really like it. Those colors are great.

o

Jayne said, "I like the pinwheels that are going in the "wrong" direction. I think it gives the top interest.
Not everything unplanned is a mistake."
Exactly the message in the lecture give by RaNae Merrill in the workshop I took last wkend.
She is not the typical quilter, and very much a free spirit (my opinion). She stressed paying attention to your creative mind ~ mistakes lead to discovery & creative work. One of her best quilts is the result of a huge mistake she made.
She makes spiral quilts.

o

Oh, so pretty, Rosa, and I am glad you enjoyed the process and did not let anyone rob you of it!
For me quilting is not fun when I'm rushing for a deadline...thats when things can go really wrong for me...lol I do start early and plan ahead, but things don't always go accordingly...

TFS,
Gwen

o

This is very nice you did a really great job making it. Thanks for sharing.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Quilting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here