Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rosajoe_gw

double pinwheel pics

rosajoe_gw
12 years ago

I have been wanting to make this for a while. It's Eleanor Burn's Double Pinwheel pattern. She says she can make this top in about 6 hours. I have been working on it for 3 weeks lol!!!

The pinwheels are made from 2&1/2 strips.

Rosa

Here is a link that might be useful: DoublePinwheel

Comments (19)

• luvtosharedivs
    12 years ago

Oh goodness, Rosa, it's gorgeous!
    The variety of yellows and purples gives it some extra color texture.

I like working on E. Burns patterns, because they're easy to follow, step by step.
    She says she can make this top in about 6 hours.
    Well, I wonder if that includes all the cutting!
    I think it's better to take it at a slow, enjoyable pace.

Looking forward to seeing the finished quilt!

Julie

• magothyrivergirl
    12 years ago

Very springy and pretty. I read E's directions from the link.
    How many are you making at a time? Maybe she can make it in 6 hours with help from her staff~lol.
    It looks very interesting......add it to my list!
    Thanks!

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    12 years ago

Pretty quilt and I love your choice of colors, Rosa....daffodils and lilacs! I like to try new techniques but don't think I want to make a big quilt. Big quilts wear me out. Great job in getting the top done in 3 weeks!

• toolgranny
    12 years ago

That's a pretty quilt - but 6 hours?? I sure couldn't do it in that. I spent all weekend at retreat making pinwheels and finished up a piece about half this size.

I like your choice of colors. It's so bright and fresh looking. Good job.

• jennifer_in_va
    12 years ago

Cute pattern and I love the yellow/purple combo!

Does it intentionally use the reverse of some blocks? I see some that have the yellow or purple placed in opposing spots from the others...just curious.

I also think some of these patterns could be done in (6) hours, if you don't stop to pee, eat, take the dog out, feed the family, etc., etc., etc. lol

• missflippins
    12 years ago

A great colour combination for a very clean, crisp look to the quilt. Thank you for the link, I think I'll give it a try. Is the wide white sashing along the sides and at the top for appearance, or is this where the quilt will drop down the side of the bed? Sorry if this seems like a dumb question!

Best wishes, Corinne

• loisflan
    12 years ago

Lovely job on the quilt, Rosa. It's very spring-like. As Sharon said, it is like daffodils and lilacs with the spring breezes in the pin wheels. Very nice work. Lois

• bev2009
    12 years ago

Very pretty quilt! I can't imagine doing that in 6 hours. It is taking me forever to complete everything I'm working on. LOL

• K8Orlando
    12 years ago

It's very pretty! The colors are great and pinwheels are one of my favorite patterns. Nice!

Kate

• lindaoh_gw
    12 years ago

Very pretty and colors for spring!
    Linda OH

• msmeow
    12 years ago

Very pretty, Rosa! Don't feel bad...Eleanor Burns has had a LOT of practice! LOL I bet if you made another it would go much faster.

Donna

• day2day
    12 years ago

The colors are so pretty and your pinwheels look great.
    It would probably take me longer than 3 weeks to do! LOL.
    TFS.

I seldom buy books...very expensive here, and
    do not have any of El's.
    I am always hearing about how her instructions are easy to follow.
    Next time I am at the LQS, I am going to look at some of her books.

~Geraldine

• rosajoe_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks everyone, my sis that loves pastels wants it! I agree, for her to make it in 6 hours she has to have a lot of help!
    Corrine, the sashing is just for appearance it just separates the 2 colors!
    The link calls this a queen size, but I think they are referring to the book, this one is about 60x60, you could make it any size you wanted.

Jennifer, the pinwheels are supposed to be going in the same direction lol!!!! My non sewing sister was here and she marked some of the diagonals for me IN THE WRONG DIRECTION! It is her quilt and she said leave them! She is one of my family that actually uses the quilts I make for them. My mother and 2 sisters put them in a closet lol!!!

I thought I had a quilting partner, but she told me it's too much trouble! I have a big family that loves and admires my hobby, but not a single one is willing to learn to quilt. They all say it takes too long!
    I think I have them spoiled!
    Rosa

• missflippins
    12 years ago

Thank you Rosa! The more I look at your quilt, the better I like it. I would love to see it when it is finished.

• nanajayne
    12 years ago

Nicely done. I like the pinwheels that are going in the "wrong" direction. I think it gives the top interest.
    Not everything unplanned is a mistake. Nice to have your quilts appreciated.

• fran1523
    12 years ago

I really like it. Those colors are great.

• magothyrivergirl
    12 years ago

Jayne said, "I like the pinwheels that are going in the "wrong" direction. I think it gives the top interest.
    Not everything unplanned is a mistake."
    Exactly the message in the lecture give by RaNae Merrill in the workshop I took last wkend.
    She is not the typical quilter, and very much a free spirit (my opinion). She stressed paying attention to your creative mind ~ mistakes lead to discovery & creative work. One of her best quilts is the result of a huge mistake she made.
    She makes spiral quilts.

• sunnycentralfl
    12 years ago

Oh, so pretty, Rosa, and I am glad you enjoyed the process and did not let anyone rob you of it!
    For me quilting is not fun when I'm rushing for a deadline...thats when things can go really wrong for me...lol I do start early and plan ahead, but things don't always go accordingly...

TFS,
    Gwen

• loralee
    12 years ago

This is very nice you did a really great job making it. Thanks for sharing.

Sponsored
Dream Design Construction LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Loudoun County's Innovative General Contractors