Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
toolgranny

LOTTO - April 2013

toolgranny
11 years ago

I can hardly wait for spring! So here's a celebration of spring all wrapped up in a 9" block. Tulips!

This is a pieced tulip pattern, finishes 9", and would make a wonderful quilt for a little girl. Use bright pastels - can you have bright and pastel together or is that an oxymoron? - and use four little yellow squares in the corners but make the center one green. Notice the blue sample and how it helps to have a bright yellow in the flower centers so it will show up better. The background is white.

This lotto is open to all and new quilters are encouraged to participate. You will learn much and have fun doing it. Participate in as many or as few lottos as you want, but even if you don't like the current month's block think about doing at least one. The winner will appreciate your efforts!

A few specifics:

- each month there will be a designated block or theme, you can send 1, 2 or 3 blocks

-9â blocks must measure 9.5â x 9.5â with no more than 1/4â variation. If we call out a different size, it will always show on the pattern but the measurements must stay true so that the winner will be able to assemble the quilt easily.

-With your blocks include name, mailing address, forum name and $1 in the pkg to cover postage for mailing the blocks to the winner.

- if possible, either attach your name to the back of each block or write your name in the seam allowance with a fabric pen so the winner knows who made the block (this is not a requirement, just a request)

- all blocks received by the last day of the month will be included in the lotto drawing. If your block is still in transit, please let us know so you can be included.

- you will have 1 chance to win per block.

Blocks are to be mailed to Valarie. She will arrange the collection and dispersal to the winner. If you need her mailing address, you may request it by sending her an e-mail at littlehelen at comcast dot net.

Any comments and suggestions are welcome. Those who complain get this job next year.

Here is a link that might be useful: pattern for Pieced Tulips

This post was edited by toolgranny on Sat, Mar 23, 13 at 19:24

Comments (31)

• nannykins
    11 years ago

Can we do a white background or must it be off-white?
    Theresa

• toolgranny
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I edited the original to say WHITE background if you think that would look better. (original said off-white) My samples are off-white but don't need to be included if they won't play well with the others.

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    11 years ago

Perfect for spring, Linda! Will make a very very pretty quilt!

SharonG/FL

• nannykins
    11 years ago

Decided to take advantage of a quiet Sunday afternoon and try out this block. Found some suitable fabrics and figured I would cut only for one block, just in case...
    Did my cutting and sewing, my, such little pieces, but lo and behold, it went together very well. So I am feeling a little smug and self-satisfied and then I really looked at the finished block and saw that I have one corner unit twisted!! Drat! Drat!
    I will leave the ripping for later. Anyone making this lotto block, WATCH those corners.
    Theresa

• toolgranny
    Original Author
    11 years ago

And, frankly I don't think that corner seam running the wrong way will matter when it's all quilted. I made one sample wrong when I started and ripped it out. But, if you send one wrong, don't worry about it.

From snowy and cold Germany.

• nannykins
    11 years ago

This block is a challenge for me. I have made four blocks and maybe one is good enough to send in. i don't know what the problem is but they are not behaving!
    Maybe I will try another and use a different machine. And it wasn't the corner seam that was twisted but the tulip point was heading in the wrong direction.
    Theresa
    PS Hope you are enjoying your vacation.

This post was edited by nannykins on Fri, Mar 29, 13 at 7:01

• loisflan
    11 years ago

Thanks, Theresa, for the heads-up on the corner pieces. However, you should have told me to remember the green center. I had the block all done, photographed and ready to send. I went to post a picture, and lo and behold, my block had a yellow center. Arrrgh! Took it out and changed it to green. Don't you just hate it when you do such dumb things?

Valarie, my block will go into the mail on Monday. Happy Easter, everyone.

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    11 years ago

A 'little' hint for a lotto block.....When I was doing BOM's, I would always print the post that listed the size and colors to be used along with the sample block and keep it close by when cutting and sewing. They are usually easy enough to be able to write down the cutting sizes and how to sew them together so you don't need to see the block that's on the pattern page and inadvertently make it 'their' way. On the other hand, it might just be because I'm a visual person and use pictures a lot. LOL

SharonG/FL

• nannykins
    11 years ago

I usually print off the pattern, keep it beside the sewing machine and place my pieces down following the example.
    Sometimes the brain refuses to co-operate. It is an old one you know.
    Theresa

• nannykins
    11 years ago

Well after 6 attempts, I finally have three blocks which should pass the test (I know there really is no test except for the maker.)
    Will send on to Littlehelen this week.
    And I did receive the box from her this week with the Aug, blocks and 2 more Jan. blocks.
    Again, I am floored at the mailing costs. Is it just to Canada or are the US rates as high???
    Theresa

• littlehelen_gw
    11 years ago

Lois and Theresa, Your blocks look great, but understand your comments. I was challenged with the small pieces as well, made one and that may be it for me. Although I'm thinking this might work better for me if I try it in batiks...love working with batiks and the flower is so darn cute.

I picked for my BD block, "cups and saucers"...and hats off to those who made me blocks! When I picked it out I just thought it would be really cute in red and white and didn't consider my fellow BD partners....the block was an assemblage of small pieces! I really love the blocks, and truly appreciate the work that went into making these... thanks again to all...now the rest is up to me!

still lots of time to get the April blocks made, especially this weekend....hubby will be glue to the TV for the Masters golf tournament, so I'm free to sew...sew...sew :-)
    V.

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    11 years ago

Small pieces? Sew the 1 1/2" x 6" (I usually add 1/4") strips of yellow and white long sides together and then cut. There's no little pieces to play with.

SharonG/FL

• nannykins
    11 years ago

Now she tells us!!!!!!
    Theresa

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    11 years ago

LOL Theresa, Wonder if there's somewhere to keep a list of hints. lol

• littlehelen_gw
    11 years ago

smiling....Of course I read this post AFTER I made another block, ...thanks for the tip Sharon! LOL
    here's my contribution for April lotto....

• polardream
    11 years ago

I didn't think I was going to have time but I decided to just do it and I finished 3 blocks so I will put them in the mail tomorrow. This will make a really sweet quilt!

Sue

• littlehelen_gw
    10 years ago

It's that time to pick a winner for the April lotto...anyone on line?

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    10 years ago

I'm on, Valarie.

SharonG/FL

• littlehelen_gw
    10 years ago

Ok....pick a number from 1 to11

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    10 years ago

DH chooses Seven.....lucky number "7"

• littlehelen_gw
    10 years ago

Lucky number 7 is Polar Dream (Sue)...You win the April Lotto!!! I'll have your blocks in the mail over the weekend. This will make an adorable quilt.

thanks for your help Sharon!

V.

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    10 years ago

Congratz, Sue!!! These blocks will make a really cute quilt and I know you'll make it happen in the most fabulous way!

SharonG/FL

• toolgranny
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Congratulations, Sue. A touch of spring among your snow storms? I bet you are ready for tulips!

• quiltnhen
    10 years ago

Congrats. They'll be a ray of sunshine. Have fun with them.
    LindaB/CA

• nannykins
    10 years ago

Congratulations!!! Lucky girl!
    Have fun putting them together
    Theresa

• polardream
    10 years ago

OH, I am EXCITED! Yes, I could use a touch of spring ... our May Day didn't bring any flowers - but it did bring about 15" of snow ... I took this picture about 9 this morning and it is STILL coming down. I will be looking forward to their arrival. Thanks.
    Sue

• quiltnhen
    10 years ago

Brrrr! You must have a really short growing season!
    LindaB/CA

• nanajayne
    10 years ago

Congratulations.... Looks like you could use a few tulips to brighten up all that white. Sorry about the surprise that is delaying spring.

• lola99
    10 years ago

I think your snow is beautiful, but I'm glad you have some spring flowers coming in the mail. :)

• magothyrivergirl
    10 years ago

Congrats Sue. Didn't you chose a tulip block in blue & yellow for your Birthday Block a few years ago? How in the world are you dealing with all that heavy snow in May????? You need tulips. Glad you won some springtime cheery blocks.
    I hope it warms up soon.

• polardream
    10 years ago

I forgot to let you know that I received my blocks - LOVE THEM!

Marsha, I had a yellow and blue block but it wasn't this block. You have a good memory!

It is 85ð today - and the tulips are blooming in the neighborhood. Thanks again, everyone!
    Sue