Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nannykins_gw

How old are we?

nannykins
11 years ago

I was searching for something here on the site and came across this post started Feb 4, 07. I read through it and there are a lot of names I don't recognize. Where have all these quilters gone? They were only 40 or 50 years old.
Nanajayne, we seem to be the oldest according to those posts. But I beat you by about 2 weeks.
Theresa

Comments (38)

• nannykins
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Sorry Jayne, I recounted and this time I used my toes as well. You have me beat by a year less a week.
    Theresa

• wendyfaye
    11 years ago

Hahaha, I had to do a search for the old post, but I'm glad I did. I was still in my 40's which seems like eons ago. Thanks for the chuckle Theresa.

Faye

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    11 years ago

I'll give you a couple hints at my age.....I'm old enough to have 5 great grandchildren....the oldest is 12. Our 54th wedding anniversary is next week, March 28.

SharonG/FL

• bev2009
    11 years ago

Sharon, you were a child bride, right? Congrats on the anniversary! It will be 40 for us this fall.

• nanajayne
    11 years ago

Not sure how old you Theresa but in a few weeks (May) I plan on renewing my "contract" for another year. I will be 80 on this one. Too much to do to quit yet........
    We just celebrated our 62 wedding ann. in Dec.
    8 GG's (+1 in heaven) and one more to be induced about Apr. 2nd......Oldest is 15.
    And yes,,,, I was a child bride.....we eloped when I was 17..........Was the 1st. in our school to be allowed to continue to graduate.........while my new DH went into the army...

• teresa_nc7
    11 years ago

If I could afford to.....I could officially retire as of my birthday last September when I turned 65. That will not be happening anytime soon, although I am trying to negotiate a transition into a part time job.

Teresa

• nannykins
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I think I need some more fingers and toes Jayne. I do beat you. I will be 80 at the end of April. I always thought it would be hard to say that number but lately, I have been tossing it around. Although I don't feel it except on rainy days.
    You do beat me in the greatgrands though, Our first is due in Sept. Married 59 years in June, 7 children and 8 grandchilden.
    Theresa

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    11 years ago

Bev, Child bride, indeed! The Geezer snatched me right out of the cradle when mom and dad had their backs turned. LOL ConGratz on your upcoming 40th.

Teresa, Retire as soon as you're able to......it sure gives you an extra few minutes sleeping time in the mornings. :-)

SharonG/FL

• nana_2009
    11 years ago

Nana here from the frosty north...will be 65 come July 1...hope I can still quilt when I reach some of your ages...have a great day

• colleenny
    11 years ago

am 76 years years old. I haven't beat you but I am still going strong. Colleen

• quiltnhen
    11 years ago

Just reached 68. That used to sound so old! One of the lucky ones, still here and as nannykins said, except for rainy days, doing pretty well.

Fortysixth anniversary coming up in June.

This forum is one of the most recent comforts I've given myself. You all make me feel lazy, you're so productive!
    LindaB/CA

• msmeow
    11 years ago

We have our 30th anniversary on May 6! Hard to believe...we certainly aren't old enough to have been married 30 years! LOL

I'm 51. My brother will be 69 in May and my baby sister hits the big 5-0 in August!

Donna

• nanajayne
    11 years ago

As you all know these are just numbers........I never feel 80 until I look in the mirror.
    Theresa how many days do you have on me....mine is May4......?
    Now we know some of us are senior cit. but where are the youngest...........that would be interesting.

• tuppermom
    11 years ago

I will be 61 on Wed. Celebrating our 27th anniversary in June...I guess I got a slow start...lol
    I have 5 brothers and sisters with the oldest brother turning 64 this year. My older sister is 1 year and 3 days older than I am. The ones after me will be 57, 54 and 50 this year and we are all blessed with good health. Our parents both passed very young....Mom was 47 and Dad was 60....so we all feel very blessed.
    Maryv

• jennifer_in_va
    11 years ago

Well, I'll call myself the youngest, at least until someone else posts! lol

I'm 45 this year. Will celebrate 14 years of marriage in October. But wouldn't guess it, I suppose, since my kids are 11, 8, 5, and 2!!! Was a late starter, since this is my 2nd marriage (had my kids at age 34, 37, 40, & 43)

• jennifer_in_va
    11 years ago

Well, I'll call myself the youngest, at least until someone else posts! lol

I'm 45 this year. Will celebrate 14 years of marriage in October. But wouldn't guess it, I suppose, since my kids are 11, 8, 5, and 2!!! Was a late starter, since this is my 2nd marriage (had my kids at age 34, 37, 40, & 43)

• nannykins
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Jayne, my birthday is April 26 so I have a week on you.
    When I posted this I was wondering where all those younger quilters were. There were some in their 20's.
    Theresa

• polardream
    11 years ago

I'm one of the "middle" quilters. I turned 59 in January and DH & I will be married 33 years May 25. DS is turning 66 and DB is 64. Mom is 85 and still quilting strong (she usually does 25 - 30 + quilts a year for Project Linus!)

While Mom taught me the basics of quilting, I love how much I learn here! I love that I get to share new things with her and she loves hearing about all the exchanges that we participate in.

Sue

• vacuumfreak
    11 years ago

Well I'm 29 until September. :o)

• loisflan
    11 years ago

I was 68 on my last birthday in November. I plan on working until I'm 70 and then retire from my full time position. I may keep doing some part time work for my company for a few years after that. We'll see.

I've been so fortunate to have good health. I still love to race my sailboat on summer Thursday evenings, garden, sing in a chorus, and, of course, quilt. I'm so glad to hear of you ladies who are still going strong into your 80s. I've got a lot of quilts to make yet.

I have two children, 47 and 49, four step-children, 46, 34, 22 and 21, two grandchildren and two step-grandchildren. These blended families can get pretty complicated. I have a cummulative 26 years of marriage, but it took three husbands to get me there. Some of us are slow learners.

• Kitah4911
    11 years ago

I don't post much but lurk alot , I turned 71 in January and was married 54 years in January, We have 3 kids and 8 gkids from 12 to 32 . I'm like nanajayne a child bride , I also eloped at 17! Ihave only been quilting for about 5 years, I retired and a new quilting store opened up , so had to check the new store out and started taking classes and here I am hooked and just loving every minute of it!!!!!

• vasu_texas
    11 years ago

I'm 45 this year, married for 23 years, two boys - 17 and 9.
    I am an engineer, work full time and DH travels a lot. I dream of making quilts a lot more than actually making them :-(
    Spring is already here in Texas and my garden is keeping me busy too. Just not enough hours in a day.
    Vasu

• mary_c_gw
    11 years ago

Hmmm, I guess I'm in the middle - I just turned 56 a few weeks ago. Some days I feel older, some not, LOL.

I've been quilting for about 22 years - and I only remember that because my son was almost 3, and I made my very first quilt for his "big boy bed", and he is now 26.

• Kristene Smith
    11 years ago

I'm 61 and in June I will have been married for 42 years. I was a teacher, but became sick and was medically retired at 48. This then gave me plenty of time to learn quilting and now I'm busier than when I worked.

Jayne - I never thought you were 80 when I met you last year in the US! You are amazing.

Kristene

• kiendu
    11 years ago

I am 52...

Have three daughters, and 4 grandchildren that all live close by. Work as an accountant, so sewing/quilting is whenver I can steal some time to myself in the winters in Wisconsin.

Summers are for Hosta's! (gardening)

Cindy

• kiendu
    11 years ago

I am 52...

Have three daughters, and 4 grandchildren that all live close by. Work as an accountant, so sewing/quilting is whenver I can steal some time to myself in the winters in Wisconsin.

Summers are for Hosta's! (gardening)

Cindy

• nanajayne
    11 years ago

Kristene, That was because I was only 79 last year....lol

• karpet
    11 years ago

I'm 47 and married for 25. My mom will be 80 this year.
    Karlene

• maritime_linda
    11 years ago

Sixty-three here, a retired teacher and an "unclaimed treasure." ;-)

• littlehelen_gw
    11 years ago

I'm 58 today...married to the same guy for 25 years, no kids, two dogs, nieces and nephews, and great nieces / nephews all over the country. Didn't get hitch till 33...seemed like it was time to settle down, plus he was tall and good looking. Still working full time...but hope to retire 2-3 years...fingers crossed.
    One of my dearest friends in the world got me hooked on quilting, this forum...,and I thank her every day!!!
    I've learned much hanging out with everyone and hope to hang out with ya'll for a quite awhile longer!

• sunnycentralfl
    11 years ago

I am a young 68 and sometimes an old 68...lol.
    It is great being part of this wonderful group of friends who share my addiction to fabric and all the fun that comes with it!
    Here's to many more years of sharing!

Gwen

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    11 years ago

Just wanted to say, after reading the posts of those that are older than I am, I have a new purpose in life......To be as active and creative as you are if I'm lucky enough to get to that age. When my mother passed away 4 years ago, I became the oldest in my family that had now reached over 50 people....my SIL called me the Matriarch. That made me feel really OLD!! So, when I had my Biblical alloted years of 70, I figured this was it, I'm a goner....nevermind that my mother and 2 grandmothers lived into their 90's! So, not only have I been battling health issues, there have been mind issues, too. Thanks to this post, I am trying to set that part aside and will endeaver to get my act together, pull up my big girl panties and carry on like an adult instead of a wimp!

Thank you, my friends, one and all.....

SharonG/FL

• quiltnhen
    11 years ago

Sharon,
    It's a big task! When friends begin getting sick or dying at what I consider a young age it does push you to LIVE NOW! Remember about moderation though. I seem to forget that I can't start things like an exercise program at full tilt without payback.

Hope all your health issues are mending and that your life is full of good things.

I second the motion on being as productive as the collective members of this group. I think I've gotten more done since joining this forum and I haven't even tapped those multiple completed quilts a year folks.

LindaB/CA

• msmeow
    11 years ago

Sharon, I am one of the "matriarchs" of the church handbell choir! One other lady has been a member a few months longer than I have (20+years for both of us!) and the next longest-term member is only about 15 years, so Anne & I have decided we're the matriarchs. Which for us means we try to get out of hauling bells and tables and stuff when we go somewhere outside of church to play. LOL

Donna

• nanajayne
    11 years ago

This has been a fun post....but it is difficult to put "numbers" on people. I picture all my creative friends on the forum as "young people" who live very busy lives. I started making a contract to live for another year if I get through my BD ( can only hope the God Lord doesn't decide to call it in before the next one) so I don't think beyond the day for the whole year.
    I consider it an honor when I am called the matriarch of the family, it means I have achieved the royal position of leader.

• K8Orlando
    11 years ago

"... the royal position of leader" I like that!

I celebrated my 60th birthday last month. 60... seems like a big number and it sounds closer to retirement age than I feel.

Been an occasional quilter since I was in my 30s, but didn't have much time to spend on it until the last 15 years. The things I've learned on this forum from all of you have increased my appreciation of quilting and taught me so much!

Kate

• kathi_mdgd
    11 years ago

I havn't been over here much for awhile now,but i'm one of the "Oldies,but Goodies.I turned 75 on march 6th,and dh turned 76 on the 20th of march.On april 19th we'll celebrate 55 years of marriage.Where did that time go?? No one believes we are as old as we are,i just tell them we contribute it to good genes.
    Kathi

• petalpatsy
    11 years ago

I'm 50. I have two sons, 20yo with Asperger's going to college from home, and a 18yo who graduates from high school this year who will be going to college only three and half hours away. I'm a medically retired divorcee.

My mom is 78, very healthy and getting ready to let me 'teach' her how to hand quilt her GMFG. She's going to go to Paducah with me this year on April 24, (if she doesn't chicken out.)