Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
magothyrivergirl

Another Rowenta Bit the Dust!!

magothyrivergirl
11 years ago

My hate-hate relationship with Rowenta continues........
Last year, I bought a DX 1000 at JoAnnes only because it was marked down so ridiculously low, I couldn't help myself. I never use the steam feature, because my Rowenta Irons have always leaked. This one has a retractable cord, which I never use - I thought, why tempt fate-it would probably break. First the darn iron wouldn't turn off - yes the auto turn-off feature stopped working.......now it won't stay on. I am trying to sew just a little bit.........and the Iron is not cooperating. Trash day is Tuesday --the pretty Rowenta will find a new home - crushed to smithereens in the trash truck I hope --- sorry Landfill.
I have dug out my cheapie Proctor Silex plain Jane-no features Iron I bought at the local hardware store in desperation. It is small, travels well - doesn't care if I abuse it - It traveled to Retreat and got used when Jen's good iron (Rowenta?) just stopped for no reason. I took it on a trip last week.

I need to buy another Iron with a larger faceplate for regular ironing (ugh - clothes) and ironing yardage. I hate iron shopping............

Thanks for letting me vent! LOL

I hate Rowenta - couldn't give me one for free - I got what I deserved - I should know better!

Comments (12)

• byrdseay
    11 years ago

I had that same iron and it didn't last 4 months. I did buy the professional model and so far so good. Good luck.

• mary_c_gw
    11 years ago

I've had two Rowentas.

The first one was a gift from the DH - he knew I coveted one, and wouldn't spend that much money on a iron. Within 2 months the thing leaked like a sieve. The repair under warranty took months. Then it leaked again. Stupid dead thing!!

The second - I did just like you, Marsha. Clearance priced at the LQS, drop-dead cheap. It lasted nine months, and like yours the auto shut-off died. Drop-dead dead.

I now have a cheapie Sunbeam from Target. It's worked great for several years, and if it dies, its cost is now down to less than pennies a day for its use.

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    11 years ago

I like the one I got from the thrift shop for $5 but it doesn't have an automatic shut-off and I've left it on all night so many times I've scared myself. Had to bring out the cheapie with a 2 hour shut-off from Walmart that I've had for years and years.

SharonG/FL

• msmeow
    11 years ago

Oh, my! I've never been interested in a Rowenta, mostly because I only hear how they are not worth the money.

I've given up on using steam with any iron. I've had a couple that were pretty expensive and they sputtered and leaked and made uneven steam. I use a spray bottle and dry iron now.

Donna

• calliope
    11 years ago

Pretty sad, isn't it? I can understand generic quality for generic price (although I don't agree with it) but anymore one gets the same quality product, regardless of what they pay for it. Years ago, the price of a product indicated the quality of its materials and workmanship. Not anymore. It is more an indicator of the bells and whistles. One may as well buy the simplest/cheapest product one can and consider it disposible. I am using an iron probably manufactured in the seventies, I rescued from my mother's estate. Nice, heavy, mostly stainless steel. An American brand from when they really were made in America. When are manufacturers going to learn some of us (regardless of our wealth) will buy a well made product even if it is not the cheapest? Link below to consumer comments about this brand.

Here is a link that might be useful: comments about your irons

• littlehelen_gw
    11 years ago

Good to read this post as I'm in the market for a new iron as well. I did purchase and returned a standard, stainless iron w/ no steam, no gimmicks (a Continental I believe). It was as stated, very basic. I returned it because it was not a smooth surface to iron with and like others...I do need the auto shut off. If the surface had been smooth I may have kept it.
    My old B & D continues to work but I cannot put water in it or it will eventually leak and mark the fabric. So a spray bottle works until the perfect iron comes along.
    Let us know what you find to replace your rowenta.
    V.

• calliope
    11 years ago

Here is what I find hard to wrap my mind around. Companies are not clueless about their product quality. They can make as good a product as they wish to make. What they chose to release for sale is within their power, and they make the decision which demographic to appeal to. I worked in engineering in a previous life. At one very major appliance manufacturer I worked in a laboratory doing quality testing and predicting the likelihood of customer complaint. We knew exactly what compenents were likely to fail and when. When a company has been an industry leader and their name is associated with quality, and they let their quality lapse they're riding on past glory and it'll catch up with them. You would be shocked to see how I choose my appliances, and basically I look to how simple I can keep them.

• kiendu
    11 years ago

I have a DeLonghi... and love it. I've had it almost 5 years now. The steam is great.. no leaking. I do make a point to hold the steam button and let it steam for a full 30 seconds before I shut it off. I think it keeps the vents from clogging? I read to do that someplace, so I do it...

Heats up FAST.. and is very hot! It does not have an automatic shut off though. Would be perfect if it did.

• kiendu
    11 years ago

I have a DeLonghi... and love it. I've had it almost 5 years now. The steam is great.. no leaking. I do make a point to hold the steam button and let it steam for a full 30 seconds before I shut it off. I think it keeps the vents from clogging? I read to do that someplace, so I do it...

Heats up FAST.. and is very hot! It does not have an automatic shut off though. Would be perfect if it did.

{{!gwi}}

• rosajoe_gw
    11 years ago

I was very dissapointed in the Rowenta I had too. It was referred to in a quilting program as a good iron. Maybe they owned stock lol!!!!

DH said my B&D was ugly and he wanted me to buy a new iron. We bought a new B&D and the weird thing is it does have an auto off BUT it doesn't have an on/off switch! I tested it and it does go off but the light continues to flash and if it was accidently knocked off the ironing board it would heat up again.

I use a surge protector for all of my machines so I don't really need an on/off but it is strange to me that it doesn't have one lol!

I use a lot of starch in my quilts so I don't use steam that much, thanks goodness, because I have never found an iron with good steam.
    Rosa

• bee0hio
    11 years ago

Oh! Now I'm holding my breath.... I just bought a Rowenta a month or so ago. It was regular $80 & I got it for ~$35. I "thought" I got a bargain.... maybe not? I haven't used it a huge amount of time, but ... so far, so good. I like the fact that it can be de-mineralized(?) since we have VERY hard water. Sure hope it holds up...

• nannykins
    11 years ago

And I get nervous every time I plug mine in. I didn't buy it but my DIL, who was moving back to France, couldn't take it, so I inherited it. It has been working well so far (knock wood). But I keep my eye on it.
    Theresa

Sponsored
Arete Construction Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Experienced Craftsman & Top Quality Masonry in Frederick County