Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lindaoh_gw

Are you quilting this weekend? March 15-17

lindaoh_gw
11 years ago

I have been sewing some Drunkards Path blocks that I cut last year. I saw a quilt online that was done with plaids. I used FQs of homespun that had been in my stash for years. I'm not in a hurry to finish this quilt, just needed to sew something this week. I also cut out the second Barn QAL block this afternoon and hope to sew it this weekend.
Tomorrow I am going to the Gathering of Quilters with 8 of my quilting friends. How are you celebrating National Quilting Day?
Are you working on a project this weekend?
Linda OH

Comments (31)

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    11 years ago

I have my second barn cut out, too, Linda. And, I'm in the process of cutting out twister blocks of the heart I sewed together the other day....I think I have 4 rows cut. I might sew them together before cutting more. I'm so afraid of getting them all mixed up.

SharonG/FL

• Jane_VA
    11 years ago

I am going to try to make some serious progress on the quilt I'm making for my son. I have the borders left to hand quilt. Would like to have it finished by May, but don't think that will happen.

Jane in Virginia

• polardream
    11 years ago

I am going to try to finish quilting a charity quilt I have started and sandwich another. We have plans for Friday, Sat & Sunday evenings so that cuts down on sew time!
    Sue

• msmeow
    11 years ago

Still sewing the colorwash quilt seams! Hopefully I will finish this weekend. After that I have 7 swap blocks to make...maybe I can get some of those done this weekend, too.

Donna

• Robbi D.
    11 years ago

I hope so!! Of course, even though I plan it, life keeps getting in the way! I am about 2 months behind on my Dear Jane and would love to spend some time on it. I am trying to get some embroidery done for Easter (basket stakes from felt) for sale. I'd also like to get some projects done to start an Etsy page. I have all the fabrics, just not the time. Very frustrating!! I do have spring break off from work in a few weeks, so I hope to get a lot done then :-)

Robbi

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    11 years ago

The rest of the Twister Heart is cut out and I had planned to sew them together today, but.......I'm being 'forced' to go to a local quilt show today! I can't get my family to understand that some things are not enjoyable when I can't see clearly! They want me to get out and about more often, and yes, I guess I should but......anyway, it's very frustrating! Sorry for the vent.... Someone posted a star on FB that is so cute and I already had some blocks made that will work, so want to put that together this week-end, too. Wallhangings for Christmas will hopefully get completed in time for the big day. lol

National Quilting Day is tomorrow......do something quilty. :-)

SharonG/FL

• msmeow
    11 years ago

Sharon, I hope you enjoy the quilt show! I understand your feelings, though - my brother & Sis IL kept bugging the folks at rehab that mom needed this, wanted that, when it was really things they thought she wanted.

Donna

• loisflan
    11 years ago

I got my Pinwheels and Prairie Points baby quilt back from my LAQ. It's so sweet. Sewing the binding on this weekend, and will post a photo when it's finished.

Happy Quilting Day, everyone!

• toolgranny
    11 years ago

I'm working on the little challenge quilt this weekend and sewing down the binding on a wallhanging I'm taking as a gift for friends in Germany. I'm scheduled for oral surgery today but have to work tomorrow and that will force me to get up and out and quit feeling sorry for myself.

I'm ready to start something new once this trip is over. I have lotto block samples done ahead and a quilt due back from longarmer that will need the binding. I never run out of things to do.

• quiltingfox
    11 years ago

I am hand-sewing blocks this weekend for my parents' queen-size Card Tricks quilt and have been doing so since 2009. I now have 83 blocks out of 100 blocks completed. I am excited that I am getting close to finishing this project!

Best to you,
    Sandra

• vacuumfreak
    11 years ago

I will not be quilting... working on Sunday and tomorrow, I'm going with my best friend to visit his aunt... we haven't seen her in about a month and we enjoy going to thrift shops together... I really like having her along because she's 80 and doesn't have much of an attention span... and I don't either and age has nothing to do with it.... My friend will look at all the books, clothes, and dishes in the place if we are alone... with his aunt along we can get in and out of a thrift store in about 10 minutes because he caters to her.... that's perfect because it only takes me 5 minutes to scan vacuums, sewing machines, and kitchen appliances and scoff at the prices or condition of the items and decide whether something is worthy enough to follow me home!

I *need* to be quilting because I have a sit and sew again next Friday (and I'm going to make flan!) and I'm supposed to have the quilt top ready for borders and buy the fabric for the borders before the event... and I only have the first row pieced! I've gotten as far as taking the machine out of the car and putting it on the table... haven't even gotten the power cord or foot pedal out of the travel bag yet! I've been so busy with 2 jobs and catching up on mountains of laundry.... I think I ironed for 3 hours yesterday and still didn't get it all done! Then the cat jumped on the ironing board and the iron few off and cracked... thank goodness I have 6 more irons and it was a cheap Sunbeam and not a Rowenta or Oliso ;o)

Hope everyone has a great weekend!

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    11 years ago

I guess that'll teach 'im to haul me off to a quilt show....heh heh heh....and $85 later I told him I was ready to leave. "What? Aren't you even going to look at the quilts?" "Huh? I glanced at them as I walked through the vendors." That was my FB post..... DH went around and looked at all the quilts and pointed a few out to me.....he likes the 3D ones.....they were pretty awesome.

I bought no fabric except a bright jelly roll for $20. What I'm happy that I bought is a cutting mat on a heavy acrylic lazy susan...twirls good, doesn't wobble. I know I won't be using it every day, but there have been times I wished I had one......and now I do!

SharonG/FL

• lindaoh_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Sharon, you will love the rotary mat. I bought one when I was making the DWR and I use it a lot.
    Linda OH

• polardream
    11 years ago

Good for you, Sharon! I want to get a rotary mat - it's on my wish list! Weather in Fort Collins is changing - our Lions club has a float in the St. Pat's parade tomorrow morning & it was SUPPOSED to be warm; now the weather forecast is for cold and rain. We need the rain - today a new fire broke out just west of town and it has already grown to 800-1000 acres and we have strong winds (20-30mph). We live on the west side of town (about 5 miles from the fire area). The smoke is horrible and is even sneaking into the house! Pray for rain for us! Hoping I will have a little quilty time after the parade before our Sat night activities!
    Sue

• calliope
    11 years ago

Thank you for mentioning Quilting day. It'll give me an excuse to spend more time in the sewing room. (Like I ever NEEDED an excuse) I've been quilting six years, and I can't imagine it not being part of my life now. I am not a television viewer and it's neat to have something to actually show for one's leisure time, after an enjoyable process of creating it.

Yes, I shall be working on my wool crazy quilt. I am loving the process and especially loving the results. It's appealing to my tactile senses as well as visually. The disappearing nine patch wool quilt top I finished is done in greys, grey/burgandy plaid and burgundy. The current wool quilt top is a conglomeration of all deep earth tones. Blacks/greys/greens/browns/deep red plaids. Along with woolens I had stashed for decades, I am also clearing my closets of wool skirts and suits I no long use and were too good to pitch. LOL.

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    11 years ago

Did y'all see where Bonnie Hunter posted she was so focused on this being National Quilting Day that she forgot it was also her husband's birthday???? LOL

SharonG/FL

• nannykins
    11 years ago

Hoping to do something with the Civil War Swap fat quarters. Saw a video of the Disappearing 4 patch and think that might work. Background fabric is in the washer right now.
    Theresa

• karpet
    11 years ago

I am still recovering from a bug and have not accomplished much at all this weekend. I have a flannel blanket top ready to be sewn together but I'm not sure that I trust myself to not make mistakes sewing it together. I also have a top put together that I've decided to add some applique on, but I'm not sure I'll do that either.

• magothyrivergirl
    11 years ago

I am washing some fabric - so maybe I will sew some this weekend. I am thinking about doing Judy Laquidara's quilt along. I haven't sewn in a long time, and I may need the structure to get my groove back - all I have to do is follow her directions! She has shown what it looks like beforehand - no mystery.

Here is a link that might be useful: Quilt along - begins March 16th

• quiltnhen
    11 years ago

Took a machine quilting class today that helped me learn a number of new fill stitches. But, best of all, I really liked the teacher's input on how to complete the quilt I started with all the feathers. I'd hoped to give it to the recipient in December and it's still hanging around.

LindaB/CA

• jennifer_in_va
    11 years ago

I actually sewed for a whole HOUR last night!! I sewed up 3 blocks for Trish's president's quilt (a guild project hosted my yours truly).

Yesterday, I actually sewed up 8 bean bags...my 8yo son sewed one of them. He's working on some cubscout electives with Dad this weekend.

Felt good to be behind the wheel again, even for just a little bit.
    Today, I've also been splurging and working on a puzzle. 500 little pieces..not really something arthritic hands should be doing!

• quiltnhen
    11 years ago

karpet, good call. Give yourself plenty of time to heal. Those bugs take a while to recoup from.
    LindaB/CA

• msmeow
    11 years ago

Well, I finally finished the colorwash hunter star top! It's going to be a bear to quilt, so I'm putting it away for a while. Time to do something else. :)

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    11 years ago

Donna, That is absolutely gorgeous! You must be thrilled with it. Are you keeping it?

SharonG/FL

• msmeow
    11 years ago

Thanks, Sharon! It's for a friend. I made a top a while back for our choir director friend and this one is for his partner.

Still have to quilt both of them...I think finishing them will be my April goals. :)

Donna

• magothyrivergirl
    11 years ago

On My Donna ~ Gorgeous! Beautiful use of color. I think piecing this would be a bear just keeping the colors in order. You did a magnificent job! I think a swirly edge to edge would be very pleasing for the quilting and not take away from the beautiful piecing. Very pretty !

• quiltnhen
    11 years ago

msmeow,
    WOW. Love the colors and design. Looks like one that was a lot of work.

LindaB/CA

• msmeow
    11 years ago

Thanks, ladies! I'm planning to quilt a large meander in the sky (like clouds), side to side like waves in the water, and a pebbly design in the shore.

Donna

• magothyrivergirl
    11 years ago

I didn't 'see' the shoreline before. Your planned quilting will be perfect and bring the design to life. I'm looking at it on a bigger monitor and see the landscape! Very cool!

• calliope
    11 years ago

It is pretty awesome, isn't it?

• littlehelen_gw
    11 years ago

How beautiful is that...love it! Well done ...applause, applause!

V.