Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jennifer_in_va

Finally, a picture of the super-king

jennifer_in_va
11 years ago

I've finally gotten around to getting a picture taken of this super-king quilt for my step-son and new wife. This was a killer quilt, so big that I couldn't quilt it edge to edge on my frame. I had to figure out a way to reload it in order to quilt the last border.

The quilting was done in time to unwrap it as their Christmas gift, but it took a bit longer to get the binding and label done. Then I had to find time to take it to the laundermat because it's too big for my washer. Finally, today between rain showers I was able to get it outside to photograph it... again, too large for anywhere in my house!

The pattern was one from polardream (Sue) called 9-patch transformation. I used scrappy blacks, whites and reds. I spent all of the last Retreat working on this, and got the top done w/out borders in one long weekend.

Comments (19)

• jennifer_in_va
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hopefully, here's a picture of the back. Cut things wrong, so had to make a design decision to add the large red stripe. ;)

• nanajayne
    11 years ago

That is fantastic Jennifer...I bet they are so happy as well as I know you are. I have only made "1" kingsized quilt and vowed it would be the last. I hand quilted that one...
    I am fond of your color scheme and it works so well with your pattern. Congratulations and TFS/

• magothyrivergirl
    11 years ago

I like the red stripe on the back!
    I love the quilt - perfect fabric choices for Sue's 9 patch transformation block. I'm sure the happy couple is anxious to get this gem, and you are more anxious to get rid of it ~LOL~
    It is a big quilt! Good job quilting it.

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    11 years ago

Oh my goodness, Jennifer!!! You are super duper to take that on....and finish it! My hero! I can feel the weight taken right off your shoulders......literally! Great job my dear.

SharonG/FL

• polardream
    11 years ago

Jen, it turned out beautifully! I love the colors and am really please to see that you can make it scrappy and it looks great!

I hope the kids love it!
    Sue

• calliope
    11 years ago

I can't believe you got the top done in one weekend. Oh my...........that's a push for sure. Nice work, and yes, I'm sure you're glad to be done with this one.

• rosajoe_gw
    11 years ago

I love it!! The borders frame it perfectly. Queen size is as large as I have gone and it was a pain int the butt. I'm sure they appreciate the time you put into this beauty.
    Rosa

• toolgranny
    11 years ago

That turned out beautifully. Good job. Love the colors. Reminds me of Bev's black and white log cabin with red centers.

• grammyp
    11 years ago

Nice! I know they will love it.

I liked the pattern, too. I plan to make more of the blocks I made at camp and using them for a lap quilt.

beverly

• bev2009
    11 years ago

It looks wonderful. I can't believe you put that together in one weekend. I'm sure you will always remember making that one!

• quiltnhen
    11 years ago

Amazing! It turned out beautifully. I can't imagine quilting anything that large.
    LindaB/CA

• fran1523
    11 years ago

That's a really big quilt and really lovely too. I can picture you sewing until 2 in the morning at retreat to get that monster done. Great job.

Quesrtion, is nine patch transformation different from disappearing nine patch?

• day2day
    11 years ago

You really did push it!!
    Great quilt and great job.
    TFS.

~Geraldine

• jennifer_in_va
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yes, Fran. 9-patch transformation is different than disappearing 9-patch.

In D9P you make a 9patch and then cut it in four, rotate two and re-sew.

In 9patch transformation, you make two different color schemed 9patches, slice them up a few ways (4 different directions), swap between the colored schemes and re-sew. Quite a bit more work, but it gives a very cool look.

• pirate_girl
    11 years ago

It's beautiful, what a great undertaking. The colors lend such a graphic feel to it, very nice. I'm w/MagothyRG abt the back & liking the red stripe, Could be deliberate, or not, only you know the truth! Well done indeed, I expect the recipients will love it.

• loisflan
    11 years ago

Jennifer, your quilt is so dramatic and beautiful. You did a wonderful job. I can't imagine quilting a king. I just finished an oversized king for myself, and it's at the LAQ now. I could hardly stand handling the top and the backing separately. To sandwich it and then try to manipulate it? Wow, you are a better woman than I am. Good job!!

• msmeow
    11 years ago

Very nice, Jennifer! What a lot of work.

I've had to improvise to quilt a quilt too large for my frame, too. You do what you gotta do, right? :)

Donna

• littlehelen_gw
    11 years ago

Wow...it turned out great....I remember you sewing this at the retreat, but did not realize it would be so large. Well Done!!!
    V.

• mary_c_gw
    11 years ago

What an awesome quilt!

I love it - very well done.