Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lindaoh_gw

Let's twist!!!!

lindaoh_gw
13 years ago

A couple weeks ago I asked about the Twister pattern and got lots of good answers. I decided to buy the Twister tool when I went on the shop hop. I bought both sizes because they can be used with charm packs and layer cakes.

I had a pack of 10 inch 1930's squares that my DD gave me for Christmas a few years ago. I didn't know what to do with them until I saw the Twister pattern. I had to add one square to the pack to make the Twister quilt. The only thing I had to buy, besides the tool, was the plain fabric for the first border. The rest came from my stash.

It was so easy and so much fun! I know I will use this again.

Linda OH

Here is a link that might be useful: Twister quilt

Comments (16)

• teresa_nc7
    13 years ago

I love it! Great new pattern!

Teresa

• K8Orlando
    13 years ago

I'm still not sure I understand how it works, but the end result is great! I may have to look at this one.

Kate

• calliope
    13 years ago

It's just beautiful, Linda.

• TxMarti
    13 years ago

I'm with Kate, don't understand it, but it does look great.

• magothyrivergirl
    13 years ago

Linda, your Twister is very cute. I have seen alot of pics of the Twister, and each one has its own personality!
    It is on my list, after I finish some more of my projects.

Below is a tutorial that explains the Twister process.
    I so admire the person who came up with the ruler. I would buy it simply to support their creativity, although it looks simple enough to make your own.

Here is a link that might be useful: Blog- Twister

• lindaoh_gw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I added a picture of the Twister tool. The lines on the square are placed on the seams and then you cut around the tool. It's really easy to use.
    Linda OH

Here is a link that might be useful: Twister tool

• K8Orlando
    13 years ago

Light bulb!!!

NOW I get it! Thanks for the link to the tute, M. That's what I needed to really see how it works; even seeing the twister tool wasn't quite doing it for me. Cut on an angle, then sewn 'on the straight' - wonderful!

It is very clever and I definitely need this tool. I can see using up all kinds of stash, including some of my mounds of batiks. Need it, need it, need it!

Linda, I'm so glad you posted about this. Thanks!
    Kate

• cindykg23
    13 years ago

Linda,

I've wanted to do this SO BAD ever since I saw it demonstrated at an LQS! Neat!! Neat!!
    But I promised myself I would not even buy the ruler (WAY too tempting!) until I finish the RR & two other projects I'm working on. Darn! Life keeps getting in the way of finishing those - maybe I'll be really nice to myself & cave! :):)
    Can I have a vote?? LOL

~Cindy

• lindaoh_gw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Cindy, I vote for you to get the ruler! I debated too before I bought it. My friend has one and said I could mark my ruler but I decided to get the real thing.
    I bought the smaller size too. There is waste fabric between the blocks and I cut them into 4 1/2 inch squares and plan to make a small quilt with them.
    Linda OH

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    13 years ago

Linda, Interesting process. Did you have any problem working with bias edges? Your quilt looks soft and cuddly.

SharonG/FL

• polardream
    13 years ago

Linda, I love your quilt! My quilt guild made wall hangings using this method a couple years ago. We cut our own templates but I think having the harder plastic tool would be much more user friendly. (less cutting through your template with the rotatry cutter!)

I love the look of angles with only sewing squares! Thanks for sharing.

Sue/polardream

• lindaoh_gw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Sharon, there are lots of bias edges and you have to be careful not to stretch them. I didn't have any trouble but it does have to have the final border added to stabilize the edge all around the quilt.
    Linda OH

• day2day
    13 years ago

Linda, it is lovely. I am tempted to buy the ruler. Not quite sure about that yet...have to look at the budget. I really would like to try this quilt.

Marsha, thanks for the link. Pictures are a big help.

~Geraldine

• day2day
    13 years ago

I'm sorry. I meant template, not ruler.....senior moment!!

• new2quilting
    13 years ago

Moda Bakeshop has a twister quilt with charm packs featured right now, too! This one has lattice between the blocks.

Here is a link that might be useful: Moda Bakeshop tutorial

• barbara_l
    13 years ago

I checked out the tutorial, and think it is a great idea.

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida