Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nannykins_gw

Wonky Pinwheels Aaaghh!

nannykins
13 years ago

While staying with my daughter, I decided to try this pattern. I had brought some fq's with me. I got busy cutting, going along smoothly and then discovered that the blocks have to be cut, all facing up. So I now have 26 pinwheels going in one direction and 26 in the opposite. Have to dream up a setting where I can use both. They may go into the "later" pile.

Thanks to you for thinking (and praying) for daughter. We still do not have a diagnosis but tests are continuing and she is feeling a bit less stressed.

Comments (8)

• msmeow
    13 years ago

Aw, Nanny! Oops! I recently made a Patches & Pinwheels quilt (pattern at www.quiltville.com) that uses pinwheels that go opposite directions. Or maybe you could use one set for the current project and save the others for something else.

Donna

• buteau3rd
    13 years ago

Nanykins, The quilt will work how ever you do it, but wanted offer prayers for your daughter. Sending good thoughts and prayers her way.

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    13 years ago

I cut some that way, too, but not very many as I like to make a few practice blocks before cutting a lot of fabric. I recently saw a Wonky Pinwheel quilt that had groupings of the pinwheels instead of an all over pattern. Really different.

SharonG/FL

• wendyfaye
    13 years ago

can you use the ones going one way in the center, add a narrow border and then use the other ones as an outer border?

I don't know the situation with your daughter, but I know for a fact that feeling less stressed will help. I hope things go well for you both.

Faye

• nannykins
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Faye, that is what I was thinking of doing. I have to lay it out and see how it looks.
    Daughter's illness probably started out as a virus and has grown into other physical problems. And stress does not help.

• new2quilting
    13 years ago

Thanks for posting this. I'm making these, too, and made the same mistake with my test block, so I only have one going the other way. It'll be a pillow or maybe the start of another quilt. These are fun to make. Hope your daughter is feeling better soon. Stress certainly adds to any illness.

• wendyfaye
    13 years ago

We did a Christmas block swap, here on this forum, a couple of years ago and I sent in 2 batches of blocks, one of which went the wrong way. So everyone in that group has one wonky block in their quilt, thanks to me. I made those blocks at our very first Camp Cheerio retreat and I didn't even notice until people started posting pictures of their quilts.

I've just finished making 2 baby quilts with a method that actually produces sets of mirror pinwheels, so I put one set in each quilt. They are for twins so I added their initial. I'm going to try and post a picture of them in another thread.

I really like pinwheels no matter which way they spin. :)

Faye

• nannykins
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Just saw the pictures of the quilts. Good job!
    I like making baby quilts. You can experiment with a pattern without investing a lot of time, money and effort.
    Theresa
    And I hope 2011 is better for you too.