Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
loisflan

Tricks for working with HSTs

loisflan
10 years ago

Having just finished a quilt with all HSTs, I am looking for some techniques that would make the process easier next time - hoping that those of you who have done many quilts with them can help. One thing I thought of after I was finished, of course, was that I could have adjusted the foot pressure dial so that the machine would go over the bulkier seams more easily. I did alternate seams so they would "nest." I did try trimming them to size while they were still folded in half, and I realized that you can't line your ruler up exactly on the seam line or the HST will be a little small. Anything else I should know about for next time?

Comments (11)

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    10 years ago

Lois, I think we all do what works best for us as an individual. I start by cutting my squares 1 inch larger than the finished size I want. I then slice corner to corner and sew the two fabrics together that I want. Like you, I square up while still in the triangle shape but put my ruler about one thread over the seam line which makes it one thread larger and that usually gives me the correct size. Press well and starch if you like. Nestling two HST and going slower through where the seams connect, is about all there is......unless I've missed something. The more you make them, the easier they become.

SharonG/FL

• bozogardener
    10 years ago

I sew the complete square (so I get two HSTs). I go about an inch larger, sew, cut into two, and then I press them open. I line up the ruler to the exact size needed, making sure the middle seam lines up to the exact corners of the square. That's what works for me.

• littlehelen_gw
    10 years ago

Hi Lois,
    I started making HST via the way described on the Quilters cache and then I took a quilt class where the instructor only used the Easy Angle tool. I've not looked back, it's quick and very accurate.
    Essentially, I cut my two strips of fabric for the HST at 3 1/2 or 2 1/2, whatever size I need, lay the two on top of each other and cut the HST, then I lay them out and chain piece. Like others I may cut them a hair larger than I need and trim if necessary. Easy, quick and accurate.
    There's are a few you tube videos that show how to use the easy angle, one with Bonnie hunter using one for making flying geese...if you are interested...just google easy angle and you tube, you'll find a number of videos.
    V.

• toolgranny
    10 years ago

I've used all these techiques over time and still prefer to cut them in pairs or groups. But, the one new thing I've done lately is I drew a square on my ironing board cover of the finished size. I didn't trim them down like before but just pressed them carefully to fit the square I drew. It sure saved me time and they were a lot more accurate than my stretching them all wonky with my iron.

• grammyp
    10 years ago

I have learned starch is my friend. I, too cut the squares larger and trim. To me it is worth the extra time to make sure they are perfect.

beverly

• meldy_nva
    10 years ago

The very first thing I do is check to see how much the fabric will stretch on the bias (all do, some more than others) by gently pulling the catty-corners of a small square. Then I cut fabric strips the desired width; then I use fusible interfacing, either sheer or featherweight. If the fabric is *very* stretchy, I fuse the entire strip. For those fabrics that are just a bit stretchy, I cut into squares and then use either 3/4" or 5/8" strips of the fusible, pressing it from corner to diagonal corner. Like BG, I prefer to sew HSTs by squares - to me, it's faster.

I've been playing with paper piecing, and that also seems effective in preventing stretch, but I'm not at all sure there is any time-saving benefit. OTOH, if one is combining HST with squares, it does make for perfect points with no stress :)

I almost forgot to say: I always prewash the fabric to preshrink and to check for color run, then press and starch it on the backside. Spray-starching on the face sometimes makes the fabric slightly slippery, increasing the difficulty of maintaining even seams. Pellon's fusible sticks with no problems on the starched material.

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    10 years ago

Just ran across this site and thought I'd put the link on this thread.

SharonG/FL

Here is a link that might be useful: Little Miss Shabby HST Technique

• toolgranny
    10 years ago

That seems worth trying. So simple. Thanks Sharon. Hugs to you and Clay.

• wendyfaye
    10 years ago

I like to avoid sewing bias seams, so I prefer to use the grid method and then cut after sewing. You can do a whole bunch on a big square as long as you want identical hsts. I think you can buy papers with the grids already marked, but I just draw them on with a pencil and ruler.

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    10 years ago

I've been trimming HSTs that way for years, but never used a marker for a guide line. Have used 1/4" masking tape though. I still like to 'see' where the marks are on the ruler.....the eyes sure get a work out. lol

Thanks for the hugs, Linda.

SharonG/FL

• fran1523
    10 years ago

I have no tips to offer but love that name, "Little Miss Shabby."

Sponsored
Industry Leading Landscape Contractors in Franklin County, OH