Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
geezerfolks_sharon

2009 UFO Browns Chocolate Stars

Having trouble with this forum today.....

The blocks were started in 2009 and I just got the top completed today. Not sure if my nephew wants it larger or not. If he does, I'll add borders. At this point, it's 48" X 66"

SharonG/FL

Comments (25)

• msmeow
    12 years ago

Very nice, Sharon!

Donna

• calliope
    12 years ago

Monochromes speak to me. Beautiful work and beautiful combination of fabric.

• missflippins
    12 years ago

Lucky nephew! That's a beautiful quilt top Sharon - lots of difficult to make blocks - at least they look that way to me. Do you mind me asking what you'll use for the backing? That's something I'm struggling with now. It's not easy to find a nice backing fabric around here. I'm so far mostly using muslin which is ok for my work so far, but I'd like to start using something nicer as I feel my work is getting better, and I don't fancy pieced backing.

Best wishes, Corinne

• nannykins
    12 years ago

Oh my, I really like it. Was there a specific pattern or did you just do star blocks?
    Theresa

• sandlapper_rose
    12 years ago

I really like it and I'm sure your nephew will, too!

• day2day
    12 years ago

Great top.
    Delicious colors!
    Your nephew will like it.
    TFS.

~Geraldine

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you everyone for the compliments.

Theresa, At the time I started this, fatcatpatterns.com had it as a BOM. She doesn't keep the patterns free, so after completing a few, I just started to print off the pictures, cutting sizes and which squares were to be sliced once or twice. There's a few I wish I had also printed how to put them all together as I'm sure there was a better way than the way I did some of them. lol

Corrine, Some of the blocks were a bit more time consuming, but if you can look at a block in sections, it won't be as intimidating. As for backings, I've started using sheets from Walmart as long as there isn't any hand quilting involved. So much easier and less expensive than buying wide fabric or piecing fabric to make it big enough. Quilt police are not allowed around me......

SharonG/FL

• toolgranny
    12 years ago

I love it. Carrying same fabrics throughout sampler just ties it all together so nicely. Good job. He'll love it.

• missflippins
    12 years ago

Thanks Sharon. Actually, the thought crossed my mind a few times, especially since I plan to make a few quilts for grandchildren that no doubt will love the quilt, but they won't be lovingly cared for. Does it matter if the sheet is partly poly or in your opinion should it be 100% cotton. Thanks again, I really appreciate it. And, I can assure you that the "Quilt" police would never be allowed to look at my quilting!

• K8Orlando
    12 years ago

Sharon, this turned out to be a beautiful quilt. The colors are great! Makes me want to do that neutral quilt I've been thinking about!

• vasu_texas
    12 years ago

Yummy!
    I'm not so into sampler quilts but your color scheme is very appealing. Nice work.
    Vasu

• bozogardener
    12 years ago

I love how the stars came out. You picked the perfect shades within the blocks to accentuate the individual stars.

• tuppermom
    12 years ago

Beautiful quilt Sharon! I am sure your nephew will love it.

Mary

• magothyrivergirl
    12 years ago

I love your chocolate stars. I remember when you started it.
    I think I would like at least one border around all the stars in a dark brown print.

Lucky nephew!

• teresa_nc7
    12 years ago

That is really lovely, Sharon! Usually I'm not a fan of samplers either, but keeping the blocks to just stars and your great choice of colors makes a wonderful combination.

Teresa

• nanajayne
    12 years ago

Nicely done as always. I like sampler quilts and there are so many stars to choose from. It looks like it belongs to a man and I know he will love it. Must feel great to have it so close to being done.
    I am giving second thoughts as to using sheets for backing with the price of fabric these days. I can see no difference if you are machine quilting it. Thanks for reminding me.
    Good work and TFS.

• rosajoe_gw
    12 years ago

I love samplers and I saved this pattern but I haven't made it yet.
    Beautiful Sharon and I also have started using WalMart sheets for backing! I found a great close out sale and the sheets were yellow and rust.

The quilts I make are to be USED lol!!!
    Rosa

• loisflan
    12 years ago

Sharon, that's a very handsome quilt - perfect for a guy. I like the idea of varying the patterns but keeping the fabrics constant. You did a wonderful job. And you finished a UFO!

• grammyp
    12 years ago

Love the chocolate starts, great quilt. Will we see it at the retreat?

No quilt police allowed at my house either. I use sheets for most of my practice quilts and those I know will get lots of use.

beverly

• sunnycentralfl
    12 years ago

Wonderful! It is beautiful...

TFS,
    Gwen

• luvtosharedivs
    12 years ago

Absolutely stunning!
    A true work of art.

Julie

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks everyone.....I enjoyed doing this one. My nephew said to keep it as is so it'll be on to the next step. I'm thinking a good tan for the backing and maybe dark brown binding.

SharonG/FL

• Robbi D.
    12 years ago

My dh would especially love this one. He loves all shades of browns. I love all the stars! One of the first quilts I ever made was a star pattern done with different fabrics to make the stars look different. I like yours because of the different stars. Beautiful!!

Robbi

• faintheart
    12 years ago

Beautiful quilt, Sharon! I love the neutral color combo and each unique star. Sure to be treasured by your nephew.

Dee

• fran1523
    12 years ago

That is very handsome. I love the monochromatic look and you did a fabulous job with all those points.

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm