Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joan_dupuis

Quilting suggestions again please...lola99...

Joan Dupuis
10 years ago

I just finished this top and now need to get it quilted. I will be hand quilting. The finished rectangles are 4" X 8.75", so I think I probably need more than stitch in the ditch, right ?

Comments (26)

• jennifer_in_va
    10 years ago

How nice!

Depending on your batting, you might not need more than stitch in the ditch quilting. But I do think a quilting design with curves would add a lot to the overall look. Curves will soften all those angles.

Maybe a clam shell, or Baptist fan all-over type pattern. Or you could do a double chain link pattern in each rectangle. (See link, #103 is what I have in mind). Something like this could be done continuously and easily adapted to each rectangle space.

Have you considered thread color?

Here is a link that might be useful: Look at #103

• loisflan
    10 years ago

Wow, that is a very dramatic, stunning quilt. Very nice work.

I know nothing about hand quilting. I didn't even know that SITD worked with hand quilting. If you wanted to stay with straight lines, maybe diagonal quilting would be cool with such a bold pattern.

I really like your quilt.

• littlehelen_gw
    10 years ago

Really like your quilt design! I would consider curves as well if you want to soften the angles. Have you consider a special motif in the white squares?
    Depending on your taste, some modern straight line quilting would accent this design as well.
    Thanks for sharing!
    V.

• Joan Dupuis
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Straight lines are much easier to quilt by hand, but I'd like to maybe try a free hand loop all over. Would probably soften all those straight lines. It is for a man, no can't have anything too flowery. Do you think a variagated grey thread would look ok ?

• kathi_mdgd
    10 years ago

That's beautiful,love everything about it.
    Kathi

• nanajayne
    10 years ago

I really like your quilt. As to hand quilting in the ditch I will state from experience it is not an easy task to do. I am working on doing that right now and wish I hadn't. Were I to do it over I would machine SITD instead. By hand it doesn't show and is very difficult to do. I think a pattern in the rec. would be very attractive and you would like it better if you are hand quilting.

• lola99
    10 years ago

Hi, I've been MIA for a while and I just checked in and found your post. Great quilt!

I started doodling, but I didn't come up with anything that I really liked. I'll show you my "rough draft" ideas but hopefully I'll have some better ideas in the next day or so. I thought I'd prefer something round, but I find that I actually like the linear designs better - the purple or green ones on my sketch. In any case, I'll play some more and see what happens. (And I'm not suggesting quilting all of these designs, I'd pick one design and repeat it over the entire quilt, I just drew them on the same photo for simplicity.)

Here is a link that might be useful:

• lola99
    10 years ago

I have a few more sketches, but still I'm not really happy with any of them. Maybe showing them will give you or someone else a better idea.

I like the linear option, but I'm guessing that continuous line would be much easier.

I think this blue one is my favorite so far. I would quilt it as a continuous line. Essentially a wavy cross hatch on the diagonal. I like how the intersections in the white make circles. The reason I'm not thrilled with this is I think it would be more interesting to come up with a quilt design that emphasizes the piecing and I feel like this design is sort of laid on top, rather than really incorporating the piecing design. I'll keep thinking...

• Joan Dupuis
    Original Author
    10 years ago

So far, I like the white, green and yellow doodles the best. I don't think there would be enough quilting in the blue one. Just got back from Punta Cana yesterday, so was away for a week with no internet. Thanks. Lola.

• littlehelen_gw
    10 years ago

I'm partial to the yellow diagonal design for this quilt, seems to fit the man theme for me.
    I really like the design of this quilt...'nother for the project list!
    V.

• lola99
    10 years ago

Here is another thought, you could emphasize the basket weave like pattern that the piecing makes by quilting the horizontal rectangles with one pattern and the vertical rectangles with a different pattern. So far, I'm still not happy with my doodling. I'm showing you this thought because maybe this will inspire you or someone else to come up with a better idea! I think I like the diamonds better than the curves...

• Joan Dupuis
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Your diamond shape gave me this idea. Don't know how to doodle on the quilt very well, so this is the best I could do with shapes. Kind of an echoing idea.... I thought it would provide more quilting to hold it together since the rectangles are approx. 4" X 8.5"

• littlehelen_gw
    10 years ago

I like the diamond (blue) design as well... Still like the yellow or orange drawing with the circles in the squares.
    V.

• Joan Dupuis
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Did a little more doodling. What do you think about the 3 diamonds overlapping, or the black diamond/square ?

• lola99
    10 years ago

Oooh, you have a lot of good ideas. I think any of them will look good. If I had to pick one, I'd probably go with your three diamonds overlapping.

I'm sure which ever design you choose will look fantastic with your quilting!

• Joan Dupuis
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Remember this one ....? I finally finished it and gave it to my Brother for Xmas.

• Joan Dupuis
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Just did very simple straight lines quilting. I guess I should have chosen a different color thread, as you don't see much of the light grey I used, unless up close.

• beth7happy
    9 years ago

Beautiful!!!

• nannykins
    9 years ago

That is a stunning quilt and out of all the designs suggested, you chose the right one,,your own. It is the perfect solution.
    Theresa

• littlehelen_gw
    9 years ago

Your quilting works perfect with this design...love the quilt...very nice!

• polardream
    9 years ago

WOW! That turned out just beautifully. I actually like the simplicity of your quilting designs - it doesn't overpower the quilt.

Sue

• bev2009
    9 years ago

Dramatic and beautiful. I think the quilting design was a perfect choice.

• quiltnhen
    9 years ago

Wonderful! Great decisions and execution too!
    LindaB/CA

• rosajoe_gw
    9 years ago

Beautiful quilt!

• Ziemia
    9 years ago

Wonderful - love the colors. Did you do the quilting by hand?

• Joan Dupuis
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for all the nice comments. Yes, meanom, I did quilt it by hand.