Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lindaoh_gw

Are you quiltig this weekend? March 2-4

lindaoh_gw
12 years ago

I have been in Columbus with DD since Tuesday. She is sick and needed her mom to stay with her while DH is working. She is feeling much better today but I plan to stay through the weekend. Hopefully she will be well enough to try to go to work for a short time on Monday. Her newly hired assistant is doing a wonderful job running the office while DD is out.

So...I won't be quilting. I did bring some things with me but haven't had time to do anything. Maybe this afternoon.

My DH stayed home to keep things running there. This was his week to deliver Meals on Wheels.

Are you quilting this weekend? Tell us about your project!

Linda OH

Comments (22)

• lindaoh_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

*quilting* How embarrassing!Forgot to preview the title! lol
    Linda

• magothyrivergirl
    12 years ago

Linda~I hope your DD is feeling better~it's nice to be needed, but not 'cuz they are sick :~(.

I am taking a workshop given by RaNae Merrill - the supply list includes most of my sewing area :) and many different fabrics. I've learned the hard way, not to go crazy buying all the fabric. I don't have much of a stash. I view it as a class to learn a technique, not create a masterpiece during the workshop. I am looking forward to the class, but packing up & getting there is stressful-and I think they changed the location of the class.

Here is a link that might be useful: Spiral Mandalas

• lindaoh_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I want to hear more about the class you are taking and see your project.
    I know what you mean about going crazy buying fabrics for a class. I have decided that I will use from my stash for classes and concentrate on the technique.
    Have fun at the class.
    Linda OH

• jennifer_in_va
    12 years ago

I'm hoping to get the borders on my Fall wall hanging. I added them in the wrong order and now have to re-figure them to make my plan work.

I also have to embroider 3 scrubs.

And would like to begin paper piecing for my workshop in 2 weeks.

We'll see...am taking lil'est DD to the dr's in an hour for possible ear infections. That might cause problems to my weekend plan!

• msmeow
    12 years ago

Marsha, I also think sometimes the supply list for classes can be stressful! I used my stash for the last class I took, and I was happy enough with the resulting quilt to give it to my niece as a college graduation gift.

I just got home from 2 quilt shows :)! Had a good time and saw lots of beautiful quilts. I'll post a thread when I get the pictures uploaded to Photobucket.

I bought a kit for a 5-minute table runner, so I'm off to try it. It may go on my list of items to make for the boutique. The vendor I bought it from also had a bunch of bowl holders like LindaOH posted, so I got to see some made up. They are also on my list of boutique items! LOL

I also need to make a block for a group baby quilt, then I'm going to spend as much of the weekend as I can working on my living room quilt.

Donna

• K8Orlando
    12 years ago

DH is out of town tomorrow so I am definitely quilting, even though I should be working in the garden a little. I started a table runner earlier this week and hope to finish it, including the quilting and binding, tomorrow.

A neighbor asked me to make a baby quilt: she doesn't care about the price, she doesn't care about the colors, she doesn't know if the baby is boy or girl, and she's OK with any design I like. This should be quilter's heaven but it's hard to know where to start with no more direction than that!!! I'll spend some time tomorrow putting together some ideas to show her and see what she chooses. Maybe we can narrow it down a bit.

Kate

• chickie1
    12 years ago

I am hoping to put the last border on an Irish Chain quilt. I am doing quilt as you go on this one. So it will be done except the binding. Or I might quilt the Quilt for Kids quilt. That's a quick quilting project. I have a couple of other projects and I have all day tomorrow to do it!!! Hopefully my wonderful hubby will go and play with his buddies. LOL
    Darlene

• rosajoe_gw
    12 years ago

Linda, glad to hear your DD is better!
    Marsha, I look forward to seeing your project also. For me, trying to get everything together for a class and actually get it all there can get stressful!
    Kate, our weather was so nice that I spent most of the week pulling weeds!
    Darlene, I saw a QAYG LC and I would love for you to exlain the technique. I have made plenty of regular QAYG, but mine were always using shashing.

For the weekend I am working on E. Burns' Double Pinwheel.
    Rosa

• barbara_l
    12 years ago

Well it looks like this weekend will have no quilting time for me. DD has a birthday this weekend so we are all going to Longwood Gardens in Kennett Square PA... wonderful place with lots of beautiful flowers to see. Just what we need this time of year...

Just a side note...DD after 8 years of marriage is finally going to make me a first time grandmother - mid-October! We are excited. One of my quilting buddies I told said that I can finally give her the quilts I made for 'my someday grandchild.' I went and checked out my grandchild special stash drawer and I counted five quilts of various sizes I made over the years of waiting! Guess this child will NOT be cold and even have an extra blanket to drag around... sounds good to me!

• quiltingfox
    12 years ago

I have been busy this week and will continue through the weekend embroidering blocks for my grandmother's quilt. Have 7 out of 16 blocks completed so far. Hope everyone has a great weekend, stormy here tonight in Louisiana.

Best to you,
    Sandra

• grammyp
    12 years ago

I finally have a day off (unless I get called back) and am most certainly going to quilt. I so need the relaxation.

beverly

• tuppermom
    12 years ago

My quilting group ("the W.O.W" Wonderful Women of Wednesday) went into the city to our favorite quilt shop today then out for lunch. They had some really good prices on FQs and some bolts so we all added to our stashes! One of the girls is fairly new to quilting so doesn't really have a stash. She bought 43 FQs and 8 meters of fabric...she now has a stash!

I am in a postcard exchange and the deadline is March 10th so I hope to get those started this weekend.

Seems that there is some pretty crazy weather happening out there so stay safe everyone.

Mary

• vasu_texas
    12 years ago

I need to finish a baby quilt - a QAYG. So I have to sew the two halves together and then sew the binding.
    I am also bursting with an idea for a wall hanging. I hope get it started at least before it loses its appeal.
    Vasu

• msmeow
    12 years ago

Barbara, congratulations on the grand baby!

• ritaweeda
    12 years ago

I've been ironing the bag full of strips I've saved from previous projects, I've made seven 8 1/2 inch blocks from red fabrics. I'm sewing the strips onto muslin foundation. Now I'm working on the blues. Don't have a lot of other colors left, so might have to go into my stash and cut some strips. Haven't yet decided if or what other colors I will use, might just continue with the blue and red since I have plenty of them left. Instead of placing them on the diagonal on the foundation, I'm lining them up straight across. This is one of those evolving projects, very little planning. I like to work like this even though I know it can be risky at times. And since this is being sewn on a foundation I probably won't use a batting, just back it and use as a light-weight quilt. Probably tied or tacked.

• cannahavana
    12 years ago

Still patiently waiting for my bobbin case to arrive on the slow boat from China...

Rebecca

• sandlapper_rose
    12 years ago

I started a charity quilt on Tuesday at my guild's charity quilt meeting and hope to finish stitching the top this weekend. There is not much left to do on it.
    (So far I have been more interested in working outside in the garden, but it will be dark soon so that will keep me indoors.)

• loisflan
    12 years ago

I picked up my baby sailboat quilt from my LAQ. It's adorable. I've gotten the binding machine stitched on and need only to hand stitch it down. I can't wait to show you.

• dan_the_mailman
    12 years ago

It sounds like everyone is having a busy weekend, quilting or otherwise! Well, you know what they say about "idle hands", so I don't think we'll have any problems here, eh? Friday night we got hit with a fast-acting blizzard (2 feet of snow in just about 12 hours), so the state police closed the post office I work in, so I came home to a 4-day weekend.
    Yesterday I made a set of 4 coasters for the current Seeds-n-Stitches swap. I call them Grape Pie Coasters, and whenever they're washed, the "crust" will become more pronounced as they unravel a little. The blue fabric is the underside of the coaster, and I'm glad I had some fabric to make the interwoven crust with!

I'm hoping to finish a quilt I'm in the middle of making. Instead of making a bunch of crazy quilt blocks, I'm doing the whole thing as one huge block.
    I'm also planning on working on blocks for the birthday block exchange and the mystery quilt I'm hosting for Aprils S-n-S group.

But, right now, I think it's time to go bake some sugar cookies to enjoy with my coffee this morning!

Have a great weekend everyone!
    Dan

• rosajoe_gw
    12 years ago

CONGRATS BARBARA being a grand parent is so much fun!!!

Dan I love the coasters! there's no way I would be doing any thing at 8AM lol!!!
    Rosa

• karpet
    12 years ago

Rebecca - I read your post as the 'show boat from China'! You can just imagine the images that were dancing through my head!

Dan - I'm not usually a sugar cookie person, but today they sound good (as I look out at the snow falling.)

I may get to the machine this evening, but I found a pile of fabric at a thrift store yesterday, and most of it is above the 'okay' range and in the 'ooooh!' range. Now I just need the time and oomph to turn it all into quilts.

As I'm typing, my DD came home from going to lunch with her boyfriends family for lunch. She made an excuse to come home and get something to eat because she was starving. I guess she didn't really like the restaurant! She's on the phone with her grandpa right now, but I can't wait to hear what they had that made it so she didn't eat - we had our kids eat what was on their plate, so I know she's not a picky eater.
    Karlene

• Robbi D.
    12 years ago

I would really like a 3 day weekend, so I can spend one whole day just quilting :-) Oh well, I did get to do a little on Saturday. Made one of my Dear Jane blocks (4 more to do before the 15th when more arrive) and I got a good start on another of my Stitcher's Garden blocks. This one uses a fringe foot. This one takes some practice. Pretty cool how it works, though.

Have a great week everyone!

Robbi

Sponsored
EA Home Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars69 Reviews
Loudoun County's Trusted Kitchen & Bath Designers | Best of Houzz