Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
geezerfolks_sharon

National Quilting Day - Stash Attack

The third Saturday of March is National Quilting Day and this year, The National Quilting Association has chosen Stash Attack as the official project.

I know this is something y'all are interested in so thought I'd let you know. LOL

SharonG/FL

Here is a link that might be useful: Stash Attack

Comments (22)

• nannykins
    10 years ago

That looks doable.
    Thanks Sharon.
    Theresa

• grammyp
    10 years ago

I will do my best! I'm working on a graduation quilt that will be all from my stash. Maybe I can get it done.

beverly

• nannykins
    10 years ago

Sharon, the Enabler!
    Theresa

• quiltingfox
    10 years ago

Thanks for letting me know, but I have family visiting from out of town and a 2 year old nephew's b-day to go to Saturday, so I doubt I get to attack my stash.

Best to you,
    Sandra

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Theresa, Why should I be the only one???? I've already started the attack. lol

Beverly, I've been thinking about you and hoping you were ok since you've been so quiet lately. Guess you've been busy attacking your stash.

SharonG/FL

• polardream
    10 years ago

Sharon,
    I will give it a go! I need to get myself in gear and get quilting this year!

Being out of town for so long - I am SOOO far behind - I need to catch up!
    Sue

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    Original Author
    10 years ago

These are easy peasy, Sue. Attack your stash and pull some fabric. This might turn out to be a new 'go-to' pattern.

Sandra, Have a good time with your family. You can attack your stash later. lol

SharonG/FL

• littlehelen_gw
    10 years ago

Sharon...seriously...the idea is to use your stash! I thought you were supposed to buy fabric for a specific project and then buy more fabric cause you like it and keep it in your stash ...LOL...I'm hopeless!
    I do like that pattern for quick quilt....ok maybe I'll attack the stash, as soon as I finish the current project...and the challenge!
    V.

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    Original Author
    10 years ago

No, no, no V. Saturday is Stash Attack day....finish your other projects another day. And, yes! Use your stash....especially any you've had for awhile. Would be a good time to use it up to make room for something new. Pull some of those 2 1/2" squares you've trimmed from scraps and use 'em up! :-)

SharonG/FL

• nannykins
    10 years ago

My top is finished. I cut the size to 5x6, not 6x7, so 12 blocks less.
    I am not terribly thrilled with the colours but we are so desperate for spring, I went looking for florals and pastels, a lot of pink.
    I think Sharon's idea of red, white and blue will work out beautifully.
    I once did a Wickedly Easy quilt using FQ's of a lot of pastels. it was not a winner in my opinion.
    It pays to visit your stash occasionally. I found all the 21/2 strips already there. And I also found a collection of 2 patches, so I only had to add the third. The large pinks needed cutting.
    So thanks Sharon and as you said "easy-peasy"
    Theresa

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I like it, Theresa! Not a thing wrong with it! And how fortunate that you had strips already cut and some squares sewn together. It does pay to go through the stash and refresh our memory to what's in there. lol I think that's one reason I started separating the strips from the rest of the fabric and they are sorted out by sizes....same as the squares. I have mostly 2 1/2 and 2 inch squares and strips but a few of the other sizes. It's just easier to glance through the strips and squares.

I have 16 blocks completed. I'll get to sew a little bit more this afternoon/evening. I'm having a procedure on Monday and prep starts tonight. (yuck)

SharonG/FL

• nannykins
    10 years ago

Thanks Sharon. And good luck with the " procedure".
    Theresa

• littlehelen_gw
    10 years ago

Theresa...I think you stash attach quilt would be adorable for some lucky little girl! Nice to know it's easy peasy...

Sharon...you are so right...need to use up some of the older fabric and make room for new!
    All the best to you on your procedure...

V.

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Need 7 more blocks for a total of 30....like the size of Theresa's. I think I'm going to start another size to trim and keep.....4 1/2 X 6 1/2! Sometimes there's just 'some' left at the end of yardage that I don't know what to do with.

I might do some more cutting, but am done sewing for today. It's been fun, girls.

Thanks for thinking of me..... :-)

SharonG/FL

• quiltnhen
    10 years ago

It looks better than the pattern to me. I think some little girl who loves pink or a baby girl will be thrilled to get this!
    Or maybe a not so little girl who loves spring!
    LindaB/CA

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I have all the blocks completed for the Stash Attack, but I also worked on this 27X33 quiltlet top on Saturday...finished it up today. It's just the top and will be going to a gal in California for her Littlest Warrior Project which is a NICU at a Naval hospital. The 9-patches are 3" finished. :-)

SharonG/FL

• quiltnhen
    10 years ago

Oooh...I'm seeing spring here! Love all the youthful color. It should be a real hit there.
    LindaB/CA

• nannykins
    10 years ago

Yep! I see spring!
    Pretty.
    Theresa

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Finished sewing the blocks together today. It's 51x61 so will need a border to meet QOV's minimum requirement. What looks like white fabric actually has a small blue pattern in it.

• nannykins
    10 years ago

Sharon , that is just super. Using the white like you did keeps it from being a mish- mash of colours like mine is.
    Might just do this again using that idea.
    Theresa

• loisflan
    10 years ago

Theresa and Sharon, I think both of your quilts are great. Sharon's is more regimented, like a quilt of valor should be, and Theresa's is more like a bouquet of spring wildflowers. Nice job, both of you.

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Theresa, I don't see yours as a mish-mash of color! I think the effect it gives is soft and soothing. I have trouble putting color together, but you did an excellent job of it! For some reason, I feel a little control is needed for the scrap quilts I make. And, it could be all in my head. :-) I've been thinking about using a yellow center square with green outside squares, flowery fabric with a brown path to look like a flower garden....but, will see if this will transpire or not. lol