Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
day2day_gw

D16 P...have you seen this?

day2day
13 years ago

We have 9-patch, D9P, New Genaeration D9p and now D16P. Check out the link.

Here is a link that might be useful: D16P

Comments (27)

• nanajayne
    13 years ago

An interesting concept but an lot of bias edges. Might be ok with sashing but would worry about them other wise. Jayne

• teresa_nc7
    13 years ago

Oh, be still my scrappy heart!

• msmeow
    13 years ago

I was thinking you could add corner triangles so the 16-patch part is on point, then sew them together. Or add sashing. Any other ideas?

Donna

• K8Orlando
    13 years ago

Teresa, I laughed when I read your post because the first thing I thought when I looked at the link was: "The scrappy people will LOVE this!"

I still struggle with scrappy and end up trying too hard to make it look balanced. I'm in awe of the quilts that make it look easy and beautiful. And the quilters like Bonnie Hunter. And all of you Scrappy People!

Kate

• msmeow
    13 years ago

Kate, I struggled with "controlled scrappy" for a long time. I've discovered that scrappy quilts usually look pretty good even when you don't try to control it! I'm working on Bonnie H's mystery quilt. She gave specific colors to pull from our scraps...neutrals, pinks, greens, browns (I substituted blacks) and a couple of "constant" colors - red & a green...I like how it's coming out and I've thrown in every little scrap piece I can find.

PS - Are you going to the guild meeting tonight? I took Judy's class Sat. and it was really fun!

Donna

• K8Orlando
    13 years ago

No, I can't go. I've got a sick dog at home and Jim has to work late. I haven't been to a guild meeting in WAY too long!

I'm jealous about Judy's class - it's one I really wanted to do.

Kate

• teresa_nc7
    13 years ago

Kate,
    You need to free yourself up by using the "brown bag" method! Just put a bunch of scraps in a medium sized paper bag, reach your hand in for each scrap you need, and whichever fabric you pull out, that's the one you MUST use! Make a doll quilt or a dog quilt or a Linus quilt. No one said you had to make a quilt to keep for yourself or give as a special gift. It's a good exercise in giving up control!

Teresa

• calliope
    13 years ago

OMG I am working on a similar quilt right now to use up my four inch blocks I made out of my smaller scraps. I used a different method, but mine comes out very similar in the finish. I make triangles out of cutting six inch blocks on the diagonal and sew one to the edge of each block, making the four patch sit 'en point' and I use the triangles in a different pattern to make two patterns going on at once. Too cool. I'll show you what my top looks like as soon as I get the last of the border blocks done I am working on now.

• polardream
    13 years ago

This looks like a fun square. Teresa - you are too funny!
    Kate - we have shared this control issue before. I think we might give it a try if we sort our scraps into color combinations we like then try Teresa's brown bag method. Could bust some stash, have a "controlled" scrappy quilt and start to bust out of our shells! Geez, now I have ANOTHER quilt I need to try!
    Sue/polardream

• teresa_nc7
    13 years ago

NO! Sue....NO SORTING ahead of time! NO making color combinations you "like." In fact....I demand that you fill a brown bag with scraps (that you just stuff willy-nilly into the bag) and send it to Kate. Then, Kate, you have to stuff your brown paper bag and send it to Sue. Then you both have to make a quilt using the scraps from the other!

(you must give up your control.....I will make you give up your control.....the scraps must have control over you in the end......bwwwaaaaahaaaahaaaaa)

and if anyone doesn't have enough scraps, I can send you a paper bag/box full! ha!

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    13 years ago

Teresa!? You just crack me up!!!! LOLOLOL I've made scrappy quilts but never the 'reach in, pull out, must use' method. LOLOLOL

I've come up with an easy way to make a 6 1/2" unfinished square made up of 36 1 1/2' squares. You wanna hear it?

SharonG/FL

• teresa_nc7
    13 years ago

Oh! Please, Sharon! I have too, too many little bitty scraps as it is now! I'd love a new block that uses them. And easy you say?

teresa

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    13 years ago

Teresa, You have mail. @:)

• wendyfaye
    13 years ago

Teresa, I used that that 'brown bag' method (although I used a basket) when I made a scrappy quilt from strips. The only thing I decided ahead of time was that there were 2 large scale print fabrics that had the same background color and I told myself if I ever pulled them out together I would put it back. It only happened twice and there were a few times I wanted to 'cheat' but I did not. I very much like the result.

So ladies, I stand here cheering behind Teresa... Do It! Do It! Be strong. And yes, a doll or childs charity quilt might be a real good idea. Mine is a king, haha.

Faye

• teresa_nc7
    13 years ago

Thanks for the endorsement, Faye! I use the brown bag method in my scrap quilt classes, having the students exchange bags and pull from their new bag to work with fabrics from another quilter. One thing about scrap quilts, the more you have in the mix, the better the scrap quilt looks! A quilt with 50 fabrics is so much more interesting than one with only 12. Even when I was making my queen size Sunny Lanes quilt from nickel squares of 1930s repro fabrics, I added some gingham checks and plaids to the mix and some vintage '30s scraps too. The checks and plaids helped to break up the cuteness of the novelty and floral prints.

Teresa

• Robbi D.
    13 years ago

You guy are hilarious!! Thank you for the laugh.

I to lean toward OCD and have problems with scrappy. I love the brown bag technique. When I get enough scraps in my drawer, I'm going to try that method!

BTW, I like that D16P technique.

Robbi

• wendyfaye
    13 years ago

Teresa, do I detect a glimmer of an idea for retreat???

Faye ;)

• salijo
    13 years ago

Am I missing something? I don't see it... I've looked up and down the page a couple of times, but maybe I just don't know what I'm looking for!

Salijo

• salijo
    13 years ago

Found it! I was looking for a photo and not a link!
    That would make a nice quilt!
    Salijo

• day2day
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Salijo, seems like the page is changed.
    Here's a new link

Here is a link that might be useful: D16P

• toolgranny
    13 years ago

Teresa, I'm scrap challenged. Should I grab lots of fabrics and cut them up into little pieces so I can call them scraps?

• teresa_nc7
    13 years ago

Toolgranny - just send me your mailing address and I will be glad to send you a bin...errrr...bag of scraps! No kidding! This offer is open to any member of this forum.

Off topic: a few weeks ago I was plundering through bags of scraps, they were flying everywhere. The next time I looked, the pup had plopped himself down on a soft, fluffy pile of scraps....so funny! Those scraps are gone now, BTW.

Teresa

• polardream
    13 years ago

Okay, I gave it a try - I have to admit that I was "somewhat" controlled on my scrappy. I did put my scraps into a bin - but I refused to sew 2 of the same square into one of the 16s. I did rearrange the order a couple times too ... I have not sandwiched or quilted yet - ANYWAY, this is the result.

I trimmed down the blocks and set them on point with sashing between. It is a bit wonky with so many sides being on the bias. I will probably donate to Project Linus when I finish.

Sent the link to my mom & she has squares all cut & ready to sew! Addicting!!
    Sue

• nanajayne
    13 years ago

I like the scrappy effect and like the sashing. Still have difficulty with all the bias. I will have to try it when I have time. Nice job. TFS Jayne

• barbara_l
    13 years ago

Sue, I really like how it came out. I need to try this one. I have so many precut squares already, it would go fast.

Jane, just get a bunch of scraps together and try it, you do not need to make a major project from it. On new ideas I will often make a block or two, just to see the process and how it works as well aslooks. You just may surprise yourself. On bias edges, I learned to just take my time, and don't overhandle the pieces.

• day2day
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Sue, that looks lovely. The sashing gives it definition.TFS.

I would like to try this one as well as the Twister pattern but the bias edges are making me hesitant.

~Geraldine

• nanajayne
    13 years ago

I had to play. Remembered that I have some patches from L&E but were 36 sq.s. Decided I would see what would happen with the D 16 concept. Used 2 blocks and some left over binding to make my practices "D 36"" experiment.