Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rosajoe_gw

allergies and quilting

rosajoe_gw
12 years ago

Is the high pollen getting to you???

I was OK until this week!!! We had an extremely mild winter and I have been pulling weed and planting. I have tried to fit in quilting during all of the yard work.

This week it hit me hard and I am tired. If I take meds I am tired, if I don't takes meds I am tired, but at least I'm not blowing my nose and sneezing. My eyes look like a vampire, or is it a drunk lol!!!

I have the blood drive Monday all day, then I have meetings and calls every day for the Easter at the Park next Saturday. Saturday before Easter I have our family party. Almost every person I have to deal with is stressed out. Today I hate people lol!!!

The AC went out yesterday, why does it always go out on a holiday or a weekend? At least it's rainy today so it is about 75 in here, not too bad.

I have so much to do in the house, but DH has gone shopping and I am going to sew in my PJ's!!!! As tired as I am quilting always makes me feel better.

Thanks for listening lol!!!

Rosa

Comments (10)

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    12 years ago

Awww, Rosa. The tree pollen is soooo bad here. When I start sneezing, the doors get closed even when it's nice enough for them to be open. We're supposed to get a few showers this afternoon.....hope it's enough to put the pollen down a bit. I'll play with the flowers in fabric and stay out of the dirt.

Maybe you should say 'no' to a few of your volunteer jobs until you're feeling better. Glad you're still able to sew....and, you're right about that, it does make a person feel better....specially when done in pj's. @:)

SharonG/FL

• K8Orlando
    12 years ago

Quilting always makes me feel better too! Whether I'm emotionally stressed or physically ill, quilting is my favorite drug.

The pollen is as bad as I can remember it ever being. Every surface is coated in yellow. It's terrible this year and I'm suffering too. Eyes swollen, head stuffed, wheezing... even my skin is itchy!!! Let's keep our fingers crossed for a serious rain to wash it all away.

Kate

• ritaweeda
    12 years ago

No joke, here in Florida it's been especially bad this year. I was driving into Publix the other day and there was what looked like a river of flourescent green-yellow down through the middle of the parking lanes. And we live in the middle of 5 acres of pines and oaks here. I'm so glad we started taking a teaspoon of wild local honey every day since last winter. WE NEED RAIN!

• new2quilting
    12 years ago

I read the title and actually thought the opposite. I love quilting, but it seems the batting and fluff are making my allergies worse! I've been able to piece but even some of the non pre-washed fabric sizing is getting to me. I quilted the Beatles quilt with a runny nose and runny eyes and box of Kleenex next to the sewing machine! They are saying this is the worst year for allergies due to the mild winter, early blooms and a much longer allergy season. --Amy

• calliope
    12 years ago

I have a bee tree with a feral colony near the house. They located there three winters ago and we may cringe at pollen, but the little furry ones are so happy to be bringing nectar back to the hive so early. I have a small orchard and my plum tree was so laden with pollinators of all sizes and shapes the tree looked like it was quivering with life.

So many street plantings anymore are totally male trees so they won't bear fruit and I've read in trade magazines (horticulture)that the pollen load in cities can be at least in part attributed to this trend.

• teresa_nc7
    12 years ago

Last weekend I was on an antibiotic and Prednisone for a sinus infection on top of the seasonal allergies. But I finished those meds and have been so tired all week, but it is also a zoo at work lately. This morning I was just dragging and really wanted to go back to bed, but perked up later in the day. We had a major thunderstorm/cold front go through this evening with what sounded like hail. So maybe the pollen got washed away a bit??? One can always hope.

I'm not getting any sewing or quilting done lately.... maybe tomorrow?

Teresa

• magothyrivergirl
    12 years ago

I suffer from year 'round allergies. One of the standard questions/reminders at the Allergist is keeping all windows and doors closed to keep out the bad stuff! It is hard to do when the weather is nice~but a must! We go directly from heat to the AC - my AC has been on and running for weeks....it does help to prevent sickness.
    So, my advice....clean your filters & shut your windows (esp at night and in your bedroom) and run the AC.

• rosajoe_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Marsha our AC stopped working Friday lol!!!!!!!!! But it has been dropping down at night low enough that the fans are OK.

We did have rain yesterday and I feel much better today. I cleaned the pollen off my patio a few weeks ago and it needs it again. I like to read the news on the patio in the mornings but that has halted for a while.

We do not have trees but the neighbors have dropped pollen everywhere.

Amy the lint and dust makes mine worse too!

Hoping we all feel better soon so we can enjoy our hobby!!!
    Rosa

• Robbi D.
    12 years ago

I'm right there with all of you! The only problem I have when I quilt is looking down. It seems to make my nose run even more! It seems I don't get much done because I'm always stopping to blow my nose! I can't decide if I have a cold or just allergies. I'm using a lot of the salt water rinse and it is helping to keep my sinus' clean, but I'm tired of the whole mess.

Robbi

• ohiojudy
    12 years ago

I thought this was fabric allegies too. My friend had to give away all her homespun because it bothered her so bad. Runny nose itchy eyes.

Sponsored
EA Home Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars69 Reviews
Loudoun County's Trusted Kitchen & Bath Designers | Best of Houzz