Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
luvtosharedivs

Technical problems

luvtosharedivs
12 years ago

Is anyone besides me having trouble browsing on the GW forums?

I keep getting a popup message that says:

gardenweb.com is not responding due to a long running script.

I have to click "stop script" almost every time I move to a new forum or posting.

I reported it and also visited the Computer help forum, and I see that others have had the same problem.

This happens no matter which browser I use, and only happens on THIS site.

Hopefully the webmaster for this site can fix the problem.

So, are any of you encountering this annoying problem?

Julie

Comments (17)

• rosajoe_gw
    12 years ago

Julie,
    We have had and reported problems on this site for a long time! Not everyone encounters problems for some strange reason.

My recent problem last week was not being able to post on Internet Explorer so I used Firefox, THEN the post would not show up until I left the site and came back in.

Some of the members were getting a virus report, I didn't have that problem.

I have fewer problems with Windows 7 than with XP.
    Rosa

• petalpatsy
    12 years ago

I run Vista and get that exact problem. This forum becomes more and more difficult to use.

• K8Orlando
    12 years ago

I don't think I'm doing anything different but I never have tech problems with the forum. Maybe I'm just lucky?

At home I use Google Chrome. This week I'm using a computer with IE.

Kate

• rosajoe_gw
    12 years ago

Patsy,
    Some of us were so disgusted with the problems we were having that we really just lurked for a while.

I agree that this is really the only site that I have these problems BUT this is the first forum I joined and I love the members here. I have not met (yet) some members but I feel as if they are close friends just from their posts.

We have had some 'blow ups' and members have left, but we have some diehards (like me) that refuse to let go lol!!!
    This is my fav by far!!!! so please hang in here until we can get the probs fixed!
    Rosa

• nannykins
    12 years ago

Using a Mac and not having any problems. I hope, I hope, I hope!!!
    Theresa

• msmeow
    12 years ago

I was getting the long script message earlier today, too. I was running on Firefox then, now I'm on IE and it hasn't happened.

I wonder if it has to do with the ads - you know we have the new one that's in the middle of the list of posts.

Donna

• magothyrivergirl
    12 years ago

I am not having problems right now, but sometimes I do.
    I absolutely cannot post from my one Mac - if I forget and try to post, Firefox crashes! So, often, I read on that one and have to post from my laptop.
    I recommend that you clear all your caches & cookies - often! I go so far as to reboot my computer afterwards.
    I find when GW plays with the ads, it messes up our little universe!
    Hang in there!

• ritaweeda
    12 years ago

I have had numerous problems in the past, and yes, it does seem like whenever GW plays around with new ads is when I've experienced the most. But for some reason, this time, I'm not having any problems at all and I don't see the ads in the middle of posts you've been talking about. I hope it stays that way, too. I do use Firefox with all the ad blocking goodies, but I'm not up to date on the newest version. I stopped using IE for this site a long time ago. Last week I was having some problems with my computer running very slow to load things and was starting to get aggravated, (this was also just after some automatic updates Windows did) but I ran a scan in my virus protection (it didn't show any reports of any issues) and I also went to Microsoft and ran a free scan there (still no reported problem) then I rebooted (for about the 5th time) and now no problems.

• grammyp
    12 years ago

I use Firefox and still get the message sometimes. Not all the time, very strange and annoying.

beverly

• patti60
    12 years ago

i do have problems a lot it comes up tec problems. i just wait them out then come on.

• luvtosharedivs
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I just visited the Computer Help forum and browsed through the thread:
    'GW not responding due to long-running script'
    and found out Tamara is working on the issue.

So apparantly lots of people are having the same problems as me. After reading the whole thread, I found a temporary solution that someone over there suggested:

Instead of left clicking to open a new forum or thread, right click, then choose "open" from the menu. This works in IE...haven't tried it in FF yet.

Tamara wants people to try and get a screen shot, (when there's a hang-up,) especially with the ads on the top and right side, and report to her. Man, I wouldn't want her job!!! But hats off to her, because she/her staff? eventually solves the issues. Goodness, this is such a humongous site with so many participants, it's a wonder more things don't go wrong!

Julie

• barbara_l
    12 years ago

My big problem is that if I do not post something almost daily, I can't log in until I find something that I have posted on. For some reason logging in does not recognize me, but if I find a posting I have done, I can copy my name on that post, paste it on the log in section, then it recognizes me. Is this weird or what?? It frustrates the daylights out of me.

• petalpatsy
    12 years ago

Thanks Rosa! I don't say much lately because I learned to knit and spin on a drop this last year. Now I'm getting ready to begin dying my own yarn. Strangely, this about finishes that hobby's learning curve and lately I've been editing and refolding my fabric. It seems soon I will be multi-crafty!

• rosajoe_gw
    12 years ago

Patsy that sounds like fun!!!! I knit prayer shawls, but I haven't even learned to dye fabrics much less yarn lol!!!
    Rosa

• nannykins
    12 years ago

Hey! those annoying mid-page ads have disappeared.
    Theresa

• K8Orlando
    12 years ago

I noticed that too! Yea! I have a feeling we're not done with them yet, though.

• luvtosharedivs
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I got a nice response from the GW technical staff, apologizing for the problem I'm having, and they gave me a temporary solution.

You can all see the same temp solution if you click on the link in the red garden gnomes message above any of the forums.

At least now I can zoom around easily again!

Julie