Return to the Quilting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
QOTD 3/12/11-Saving Catalogs-Do You?

Posted by magothyrivergirl (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 12, 11 at 12:12

Do you save the catalogs (Connecting Threads, Keepsake, etc) mailed to you? If you do, why and how long do you keep them, and which ones are worth keeping?

I haven't developed a habit yet. I am interested in hearing your answers.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: QOTD 3/12/11-Saving Catalogs-Do You?

I don't save them beyond a few weeks anymore. I found that once I shopped in them, I seldom did it again. But, I rip out FMQ samples I like and paste them to my wall for ideas. They have some nicely quilted pictures in them.

I usually shop online from those catalog shops anyway so don't worry I'm missing anything.

o

I keep them all until the next one comes. Then sometimes I give them away or discard. Good place to search ideas. Jayne

o

I tend to keep mine, probably for too long! I keep Hancocks of Paducah because I love looking at the fabric and the colors inspire me. I keep Keepsake quilting because the quilt pictures inspire design ideas. The others I save just because I'm lazy.

Kate

o

I usually save them til the next one comes. I also look through them for ideas....not that I need anymore....sigh.

SharonG/FL
AKA-RBC

o

Yes, I do lol!!!!!!!!! I was just thinking about 'WHY' last week. I sometimes take them to the gym to look for inspiration while I am on the boring threadmill or is it treadmill!!!!!!!!!
I have a stack that I do need to go thru and throw away, 'cause I shop and order online too.
Rosa

o

I save them for a very short period of time, like maybe a month or less. Before tossing them, I check all the pictures they have. The ones that inspire me, I cut those out and keep them in a folder, just for the ideas, color selections, patterns used and border ideas. I have actually used them when I was stuck to what to do with a quilt I am working on. I find it good reference to have on hand.

o

Shhhhhh! They haven't found me yet! I spent a good deal of this winter and some of last ridding my office of a gazillion wholesale plant and equipment catalogues. Then I took all the Flower and Garden magazines and bundled them up by year and found very grateful recipients. I was drowning in paper and I absolutely hate vendors who send you paper catalogues when you buy from them online. Like.......save a blinkin' tree, whydoncha?

Now, I scan through them if/when they come in and they immediately go in the recycling. Ahhhhhhhhhh. I watched a couple episodes of "Hoarders" on the tube and it frightened me because how does one know when they cross that magic line? LOL.

o

Nope, I toss them in a big garbage can that's right by my front door. I don't look at them once.

o

I look through them, and I will keep the Hancock's of Paducah for a while, but other than that I recycle them.

If there is a good idea, or quilt pic that appeals, I rip that out and tape it into my graph paper book. Then it's ready to draft if I ever decide to make it.

o

Thanks for all your answers.
I have mostly been recycling when the new one arrives. I have kept a few for quilting ideas.

I am overloaded with paperwork from my business where I seem to keep everything. I could sure use that space for quilting.....hmmmm

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Quilting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here