Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
polardreams

Back in the US - OT

polardream
12 years ago

Hi everyone! We are back in the US after 3 months in Mexico. It was an incredible trip, but I DID miss my sewing machine. Another week before we get home.

Observation #1 - Be thankful for our fabric stores in the US - even the Walmarts. We stopped in several fabric shops all over Mexico. The fabric was thinner and not a large selection. Most fabric seemed to be for clothing or table cloths. The polar fleece was thin and not very nice. A lot of the prints were "off" kind of blurred.

Observation #2 - ALL of the Mexican people we met in our 3 months were friendly, kind, helpful, and hardworking. They all went out of their way to show us, help us with whatever we needed.

Observation #3 - The US press is really hurting the tourism in Mexico, making the economy even worse. We did not travel in the two northeastern states of Mexico which seem to have the worst drug cartel problems. We never felt unsafe. We never had problems with food, water, "tourista".

If you didn't follow our blog but wanted to go back and see anything we did, I will attach the link.

I am at my mom's and helping her cut fabric for her Project LInus quilts. She is a quilting fiend - 12 finished since January! I am looking forward to participating in lottos and the forum in general.

Sue/polardream

Here is a link that might be useful: Travel with Tobey and Sue

Comments (9)

• toolgranny
    12 years ago

Welcome home. We missed you. I'm glad you had such a good time and that all the problems were not threatening in any way. I agree about the press. Ensenada is just devastated now and they don't even have the cartel problems. People won't get off the cruise ships that have to stop there. I'm glad you published the good parts of people.

• msmeow
    12 years ago

Welcome back to the US, amigo! It sounds like you had a wonderful time.

• nanajayne
    12 years ago

So happy your trip was such a success. I tried to follow but got lost along the way. Will surly go to you Travel link to catch up.
    Thank you so very much for sharing your trip and observations. It is my belief that most people are better then allowed to be sometimes. Fully agree that the Press does a lot of damage in their need to find the "truth".
    And by the way, Welcome home.

• lola99
    12 years ago

Welcome back to the States! I'm so glad it was a good trip and that you felt safe and had a good time.

Lola

• magothyrivergirl
    12 years ago

Sue, welcome back! I followed your trip, but like Jayne, I lost track - I will catch up, as your pictures are beautiful and your experiences exciting! I am so glad you are back safe.
    WoW! to your Mom!

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    12 years ago

I followed your blog and had a wonderful time! Thank you for the journey!!! DH had a good time, too. Glad you're back....sounds like your mom is, too.

SharonG/FL

• K8Orlando
    12 years ago

Jim & I read every entry because we've talked about making a similar trek. Then we got caught up in Sue's story and if she missed a couple days we were worried about them!

• rosajoe_gw
    12 years ago

Sue it is the same way with the sensationalism of Afghanistan, my nephew is deployed there and we were all so worried and posting messages about what is going on.

He reassured us you can't believe eveything you see or hear in the news.

Same thing with the hurricanes in Florida! My family and DH's would call frantic because it looked like all of Florida was blown off the map, and we were usually not affected (much lol)!!

Glad you had a fun and safe trip, it is a shame about the tourism but the news does make it look scary. When we made 1 stop on a cruise the area was beautiful, and they have much better margaritas than us lol!
    Rosa

• K8Orlando
    12 years ago

And better fish tacos, too!