Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
karpet_gw

qotd 3-30-11

karpet
13 years ago

Wow, can't believe that March is almost over! But I digress. So, what is the most unusual thing you have used to make a quilt or do you stick exclusively to quilter's cotton fabric?

I've made a couple hankie quilts from both of my Grandmother's hankies. I made a tie quilt from men's ties, and I'm in the process of ripping apart 2 silk dresses for their fabric!

(and does anyone know why when I put QOTD in caps, it switches to lower case after it posts???)

Karlene

Comments (15)

• cindykg23
    13 years ago

Karlene, you always come up with the neatest questions!

I browsed thro Salvation Army for fabrics for a crazy quilt. Ended up using velvets & a plaid sateen from little girls' dresses, a nubby wool-like fabric from a baby outfit, wool skirts & blazers, a silk blouse, a corduroy jumper & lace from an old tablecloth. (I still have a plastic tote of the leftovers if anyone is interested! LOL) FREE!

~Cindy

• bozogardener
    13 years ago

I have wanted to go to a thrift store and find wool things or other fun fabrics to cut up. But I have only used cotton or flannel so far. I am collecting DH's old T-shirts for a quilt one day.

• karpet
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Oh, I did a t-shirt quilt for a friend from H.S. after she ran in the NYC marathon! She saved up all her t-shirts from the smaller, 'practice' races and then the one from the marathon went in the middle.

I also am almost done with a yo-yo quilt that I'm doing on a tablecloth (I think I've been working on this one for 4 or 5 years) and I used a linen tablecloth for a backing recently - boy, did that add some weight!

My mom has a quilt made from men's suits - it is squares and rectangles and it is just tied, but more people have tried to buy that off of her.

Cindy - do you have a picture of your crazy quilt?

• teresa_nc7
    13 years ago

My pooch gets a new bandanna when he goes for grooming. He doesn't like to wear them especially. I use the small triangles of 100% cotton in my scrap quilts. ;o)

Teresa

• lindaoh_gw
    13 years ago

The only time I have used anything other than quilter's cotton or flannel was to make a t-shirt quilt.
    Linda OH

• msmeow
    13 years ago

Well, before I knew you're "supposed" to only use 100% cotton, I used whatever I had left from making clothes. So my earliest quilts had plenty of polyester, poly/cotton blend, and rayon. :)

Donna

• nanajayne
    13 years ago

The only thing I can remember was my first quilt that had some poly/cotton but that was about all that was available at the time and I really didn't appreciate the need to use only cotton. That said I guess it is just cotton and sometimes fleece for backings. Jayne

• polardream
    13 years ago

Flannel, corduroy, and denim jeans - make great rag quilts - especially to use for picnics. I thouoght about putting a waterproof sheet in the middle to keep the ground moisture from coming through, but haven't tried it yet.

Sue

• K8Orlando
    13 years ago

When my organization's CEO recently retired, I used oxford business-type shirts and Hawaiian print shirts from our thrift stores to make a quilt for his RV. The oxford shirts to represent his work years and the tropical prints to represent his retirement.

I plan to find thrift store woolens to do a quilt someday but haven't gotten to that one yet.

Kate

• K8Orlando
    13 years ago

btw, I don't know why the Subject line won't hold CAPS. I put a single quote mark ' in front of it or a space and sometimes that works. If those don't, try it as QoTD.

Kate

• karpet
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Kate!

• cindykg23
    13 years ago

Karlene,

My crazy quilt is tucked away (somewhere) - I'll dig it out & post a pic one of these days. Spring cleaning is approaching. I normally am nearly done by now, just no motivation this year! :(

• vicky4x4
    13 years ago

I used a mattress pad for a batting in some wall-hangings. It worked and it was free :-)

• K8Orlando
    13 years ago

Mattress pad = great idea!
    And a good use for a worn out one because some thrift shops won't take mattresses, bed pillows or mattress pads.

• quiltingfox
    13 years ago

I had not thought about using a mattress pad, now that's a neat idea. :-) Thanks for sharing.

Best to you,
    Sandra