Return to the Quilting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Binding: what I have learned so far this year....

Posted by geezerfolks (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 9, 12 at 11:38

1. My binding corners could have 'snouts' and most certainly have nostrils....but, the nostrils should be facing the same way and sewn closed. I had been allowing them to face whichever way they looked good. Some I sewed closed and some I didn't. Now I know the real story!!!

2. My eyes are not good enough to sew the binding on as in the recent tutorial. Couldn't even see the bobbin thread used to sew the binding to the back of the quilt. But since it was the small Twister Wreath I was practicing on, I completed to practice all the way around. What a bunch of wavy backward blanket stitch seams! I used the same fabric for the border and binding....a lot of white and of course, white thread.

I will continue to put my binding on as I normally do....sew on the back, bring to front and designer stitch it down. But, I will take more notice of the corner nostrils. lol

SharonG/FL

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Binding: what I have learned so far this year....

Sharon no one looking at your gorgeous quilts would ever believe you have a vision problem!!!

I don't sew my nostrils closed lol!!! I did like the gadget she used on the corner, I may try it with a ruler. I still like my glue lol!! and since I prefer a thin binding I don't notice too much which way the corner goes, as long as it lays down I'm happy!!

I have watched E. Burns sew off to the right of the binding and then lift the binding up and back down perfectly without taking the quilt out from the machine. I just can't do it, even on small quilts!!!
Rosa

o

Rosa it just takes practice to do it Eleanor Burns way.I learned to do that in a class i took from her,and several of her books have a step by step how to in them,one being the Kaliedscope(sp) book.Keep trying~~~~~~~~you'll get it.
Kathi

o

Kathi you can do that lol!!!
She does amaze me!!! I'll have to watch her video and look for the book!!!

o

I like to bind quilts. I used to hand sew to the back, but that isn't on the agenda anymore. I have no problem with mitred corners, in fact, I now consider it an accomplishment to have nice looking nostrils. LOL

SharonG/FL

o

LOL I have sewn some of the nostrils shut and when I was in a hurry it looked like the nose hair needed to be trimmed!!!!

Kathi, I forgot to post 'YOU TOOK A CLASS WITH E. BURNS??? OMG I WOULD LOVE TO TAKE HER CLASSES!'
Rosa

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Quilting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here