Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
maritime_linda

ruler question

maritime_linda
12 years ago

Hello quilt ladies,

I have been following this forum for several years now, but have only posted a couple of times back when I first joined. I guess that makes me a lurker, although I dislike that term as it sounds like someone is trying to be secretive and that's not me. I am blown away by all the projects you people are able to complete! And I love seeing pictures of them. My name is Linda and I live in Saint John, New Brunswick, on Canada's east coast. Although I never fancied myself a sewer, I do love quilting. Now for my question. A long time ago someone was talking about a ruler that they found very useful when joining borders or binding strips on the diagonal, but I can't remember what it was. I thought it was June Tailor, but I've searched her site and nothing seems to ring a bell. Does this strike a chord with anyone or does anyone have a thought on what it might have been??

If I can figure out how to post a picture, I will try and post something I've done...in a bit of a slump right now and will not allow myself to begin any of the new projects I'm dying to try until I finish some of my UFO's. :-(

Comments (16)

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    12 years ago

Hi Linda and thanks for coming out of lurkdom to join us. I can't help you with the ruler, but I'll just bet your slump would be in the past if you'd allow yourself to start something new......maybe just a small table topper? Then you'd have your oomph back and can continue with a UFO. I have quite a few UFO's but I allow myself something new every once in awhile so I don't get bored. Or, like what I'm doing now, working on 2 UFO's at a time....soon to be three!

Kate has posted instructions in the Conversation side of the Quilt Forum.....here's the link.

SharonG/FL

Here is a link that might be useful: posting photos

• bev2009
    12 years ago

Hi, Linda,

I'm a big fan of Anne of Green Gables, so I thought about that as soon as you said New Brunswick! I believe the tool you might be referring to is demoed in the You Tube video below. I'm looking forward to seeing some of your quilts!

Here is a link that might be useful: biniding tool

• missflippins
    12 years ago

Hi Linda. I'm on the extreme other end of the country from you on the West Coast of BC. I have only been quilting a few months now, but I think I have come a long way from my beginning effort. I'm sorry I can't help you with the ruler as I have found a method of joining the binding without the use of a tool. It was a video that I watched and tried. To my complete amazement I was very successful using that method. It also saved me another tool to keep track of and money as well. If I can find that video again, I will post it for you. I'm so glad you have decided to post again. I too love to see what projects others are working on which is why I have shown some of my beginner projects I was not exactly proud of. I must say that the group of ladies here are very supportive, always kind and encouraging. Since I don't know anybody who quilts, this form is where I feel I get some support and a great deal of knowledge. I have tried to take it a step at a time and learn a little each week when I have time to pursue my new hobby. I look forward to seeing some of your projects.

Best wishes, Corinne

• day2day
    12 years ago

Hi Linda and Welcome from a fellow East Coast quilter.
    I am in Newfoundland. I have a son in Nova Scotia.

I look forward to seeing your projects.

I am no help with the ruler but hope you find it.

~Geraldine

• rosajoe_gw
    12 years ago

Welcome Linda!!! I have always said that the best thing Canada ever gave us was Michael J. Fox! After meeting many friends from Canada on this forum I have added 'quilting friends' to the list lol!!!!

Corinne, I have zero quilting friends in my rural area so I know how you feel! I moved from Central Florida where some of our members live, but I didn't join the forum until I retired and moved to SE Georgia (back to the little 1 red light town where I grew up). I know they must be hiding some where around me and I just haven't found them yet lol!!!!

I agree that this is a warm, talented group, and they share!!

Looking forward to the pics ladies and gents!!!! Never be too intimidated to post, no one can be an expert on everything, at least I'm not!!!!
    Rosa

• lindaoh_gw
    12 years ago

Welcome Linda from another Linda (in Ohio). I can't help you with the ruler but am glad you came out of lurkdom. I have found that most quilters are very friendly and willing to help one another. We would love to see pictures of your quilts and try to help with any questions.
    Linda OH

• missflippins
    12 years ago

Linda, this is the video I found so helpful when trying to connect the ends of the binding. If you haven't seen this video, you may find it helpful. I know there are many ways of accomplishing this task, but thought just in case you haven't seen this you may wish to view it.

Best wishes, Corinne

Here is a link that might be useful: Marcia Baker binding tutorial

• maritime_linda
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Wow! Thanks for all your responses. Sharon, I think you may be right about needing to start something new to get back in the spirit of things. My UFO's are all at stages where I need assistance with finishing and I just keep putting it off. Several of you have suggested the binding tool, but I don't think that's it. I've seen the tutorial video. It's not the actual binding that I'm referring to, but just joinining on the diaganol in general. I'll look at it again though. I'm making a trip Stateside in a week or so and will get to visit a Jo-Ann's so want to make a list of anything I'd like to have. I think I will buy the binding ruler, though. I like the video using it to make a friendship braid quilt on Missouri Quilt and the Wonder ruler looks kind of neat too.

Hmmm....those pic posting directions look a little long but I'll try and give it a try. I was just looking at my pics and the one of my last and favourite quilt isn't that great except one with some people holding it who mightn't appreciate me splashing them all over the net! Perhaps I can crop it some.

Have a great quilting weekend ladies! I'll be back.

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    12 years ago

Linda, What kind of assistance do you need with your UFO's? If it's something we can help you with, post it and I'm sure someone here will have a suggestion.

Valerie has a clear tutorial on binding that includes sewing binding strips on the diagonal that should help.

SharonG/FL

Here is a link that might be useful: sewing strips together on the diagonal

• tuppermom
    12 years ago

Welcome out of "lurkdom" Linda! I have seen the binding ruler demonstrated but since I don't have a problem with binding, I couldn't justify buying the ruler. I am in the middle of the country in South Central Ontario. I too live in a rural area and the nearest town now has 2 stoplights! But I am also less than an hour from Toronto so it is best of both worlds!
    I also look at the instructions for posting pictures and cringe but am going to try to post some soon.

Mary

• wendyfaye
    12 years ago

Hi Linda,
    I live in Riverview (across the river from Moncton) and often go to Saint John for work. I've been to the little shop in Rothesay, but you'll have to let me know of any other 'places to go'. Let me know if you ever get to Moncton, we have a couple of nice shops here.

I've been hanging out here for years but its real nice to have another NBer.

:)

Faye

• magothyrivergirl
    12 years ago

Welcome Linda
    There is a ruler by June Tailor called the Binding Buddy, it comes in 2 sizes-is this the ruler you are looking for?
    Joanns in my area does carry it. (Find a coupon and use it to buy the ruler if this is the one!)

Here is a link that might be useful: Binding Buddy

• maritime_linda
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. It's definitely not the "binding buddy" that I'm thinking of. I guess I'll just forget about it. Maybe when I'm looking at rulers it will come to me. Sharon,I know there are lots of people here willing to help with quilt problems, but I think I need some hands-on assistance with two of my UFO's. One is a stained-glass type and I'm down to sewing the black bias tape around all the pieces in the hanging. The other is a silhouette wall hanging, where you cut out the design from black fabric and then put a multi-colour fabric under it. So I need to do a fine zig-zag all around the raw edges of the black. Sounds pretty easy, I know. But it's a fairly new machine and after using it just for straight forward piecing, I need someone to help with stitch selection, etc. I have not used my free lesson at the quilt shop where I purchased the machine, so I think I'll pack up both projects and pay the shop a visit. I am taking your advice on starting a new project, though. I have a small quilt kit that I received 2 Christmases ago that I think I'll start. Had put it off as there is a lot of fussy cutting, but I'm hoping to get at it this week.

Faye, great to hear from you! I've been to the quilt shop in Riverview and I love The Fabric Cupboard in Moncton. It's a great shop. We just have the one that you mentioned in Rothesay. It's nice, but pricey. The owner is very nice and helpful. I did her block of the month last year. It was a great deal. I buy most of my fabric in Calais at Marden's. Heading to Bangor in a week or so to do some shopping there. Well, I think I'll go dig out that kit I mentioned. Have an extremely busy week ahead of me, so doubt I'll get much time to work on it before the weekend.

Linda

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    12 years ago

maritimeLinda, I used fusible bias tape for a stained glass wallhanging I did.

You'll enjoy learning the fine zigzag.....it's getting used to the stitch width's and lengths. Use scraps to practice and when you get the 'look' you want, write on the fabric the width and length number you used so you won't have to practice the next time. I think you'll be surprised at all the things you'll learn at your machine lesson.

Have fun on your new project......

SharonG/FL

• magothyrivergirl
    12 years ago

One more try for the ruler you saw. Is it the Angle Finder Binding Tool by Creative Grids? I actually bought this ruler recently but haven't used it yet. Watch the video on this ruler.

Here is a link that might be useful: Angle Finder Binding Tool

• missflippins
    12 years ago

There is also the "Susan Brown" bias ruler. I have had one for sometime, but have not yet actually used it. Here is a tutorial video using this particular ruler.
    Corinne

Here is a link that might be useful: Continuous bias binding with Susan Brown bias ruler