Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
msmeow

Top of BQFH finally finished!

msmeow
10 years ago

BQFH = baby quilt from h**l! LOL This pattern is rated as beginner, but I have had more trouble with it than anything I've made in recent years! I did more sewing stuff wrong than you would believe. Some things I even sewed wrong twice! But it's finally together. I'm putting the backing together now. Hopefully I can get it loaded on the frame this weekend and still meet my goal of finishing it this month.

Here is the photo from the pattern. Mine sure looks different, doesn't it?

The pattern makes a double size quilt so I scaled the blocks down from 18" to 12", which then meant I had to do the math to figure out the pieced corners and side triangles. That was the easy part - it was the sewing that kept getting me! LOL

Donna

Comments (19)

• nannykins
    10 years ago

Really like your version!
    Theresa

• quiltingfox
    10 years ago

I think yours turned out really well, quite a lively pattern.

Best to you,
    Sandra

• quiltnhen
    10 years ago

Whatever happened, I like it! It's very snappy and I'll bet Mom and child will love it.
    LindaB/CA

• jennifer_in_va
    10 years ago

Changes & problems, or not, and I still think it turned out GREAT!!!

Sometimes we just get those projects that want to kick our butt! Good to persevere and get it done!

• nanajayne
    10 years ago

The finished produce looks great and I bet your glad it is almost finished. We have all had moments like that and appreciate when it is over. I like your version better then the original and I am sure the child will as well. TFS.\

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    10 years ago

Wow, Donna! ConGratz on getting it finished to this point. It should be smooth sailing from here on out, eh? BTW, you really should put a different name on the label other than BQFH. lol

SharonG/FL

• toolgranny
    10 years ago

That turned out wonderfully. You can be proud of that one. It's a gift that will be cherished.

• littlehelen_gw
    10 years ago

Love it,,,bright, cheerful, perfect for baby!

• day2day
    10 years ago

It looks great. I like your version. Congrats on staying with it and getting the top finished.
    TFS.

~Geraldine

• msmeow
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you, everyone! LOL, Sharon! That will just be my private name for it. :)

• calliope
    10 years ago

Beginner? I don't think so. I'd hate to see what they'd call an advanced pattern. It's precious and worth your effort.

• loisflan
    10 years ago

Donna, I'm sorry it was the BQFH, but it's a really great quilt. Babies love bright colors. Cute focus fabric. Your persistence really paid off. My next quilt is on point. I've never done one before. We'll see if that one's the HQFH (husband's quilt from h**l).

• msmeow
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Lois, I'd never seen an on point quilt that wasn't square before - that's what caught my eye.

Calliope, it really is pretty easy - just squares framed with rectangles and then with HSTs. I think I was somewhat burned out from working so intensely on my Celtic Solstice for so long, plus trying to hurry through it.

Whatever the reasons, it's on the frame now. I'm going to quilt an all-over design of loops and meanders, then bind it with the gray to calm it down a bit. :)

Donna

• msmeow
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here it is, finally complete! Woohoo! When they decide how they are going to spell the baby's name I can make a label for it. (The quilt, not the baby. LOL)

Here's the backing:

And a closeup of the quilting:

The baby's due in June.

Donna

• ritaweeda
    10 years ago

Oh, my, it came out great, also the backing. But also oh, my, so many triangles!! And on point to boot! I've done ONE quilt on point and it was diamonds and never again. Never. But I did get it done and it's a beauty, but again, never again.

• nannykins
    10 years ago

Amen and hallelujah!
    Theresa
    PS it is beautiful!

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    10 years ago

Now, how in the world can you even think about calling this the BQFH?? I love your loops and meanders.....and like the gray binding, but sorry to tell you this, I can't see any color toning this one down.......but that is not a problem, either. lol

SharonG/FL

• rosajoe_gw
    10 years ago

I love it! and still forget to make labels lol! Babies love such bright vibrant colors, so why did they stick us in pastels when I was growing up?

I visited our nursing home and, IMO, the residents are treated very well. Everyone knows everyone. They have a beautician that does manicures. One lovely lady had a very pale pink shade on and I complimented her on the color. She told me she didn't like it, the color was too bright for her lol. Another told me her favorite color was beige.

It didn't matter anyway, I wasn't allowed to paint my nails, only a floozy did that lol!!!!! Thank goodness times have changed.

• bev2009
    10 years ago

What a beautiful, cheerful quilt for a baby. It had to make you happy while you were sewing it.

Sponsored
Ngrained Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Custom Woodworking, Décor, and More in Franklin County