Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
day2day_gw

disappearing nine patch

day2day
14 years ago

I posted a pic of this disappearing nine patch top back in May/09. Here it is finished....finally!!. I'm not really happy with the quilting but it is what it is. It is for my bed and I like the colors and pattern.

~Geraldine

Comments (21)

• solstice98
    14 years ago

It turned out great! did you quilt it on a regular machine? That's a BIG quilt to stuff under a regular machine arm!

Kate

• barbara_l
    14 years ago

I like this pattern, members of this form have posted so many neat quilts with this pattern, and the colors used makes each quilt so interesting.
    Your color choices are nice, up my alley I must say!
    BARBARA

• petalpatsy
    14 years ago

Those are pretty colors, very striking. I can't see the quilting so well on my monitor, so it looks perfect to me.

• nanajayne
    14 years ago

Very pretty, I really like this pattern. Your colors are great. I am working on some blocks now using the brown and aqua theme. I can't see the quilting well either but over all it looks fine from here. Nice addition to your bed.
    TFS Jayne

• vicky4x4
    14 years ago

I like it too. I never thought I would like disappearing nine patches but the more I see the more I like them.

Vicky

• fran1523
    14 years ago

I think it is lovely. we are our own worst critics. Really nice color combination.

• day2day
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks everyone. I appreciate the comments.

Yes Kate, I did it on a small machine. I've done big quilts on it but this time my walking foot was giving me problems. The gears were getting stripped...I think.... and in seam areas the foot would stop/stitch in place. I had to lift the presser foot and stretch the area a bit with my hands....very frustrating. I couldn't buy a new one at the time so struggled through, making do. I would have been wise to wait until I could afford a new foot but I just wanted it done because the top had been done for such a long time....no patience LOL. I will try not to wash it until it really needs it...have a feeling it is going to bunch up in places.

~Geraldine

• magothyrivergirl
    14 years ago

I really like your layout & color choice.

Do you remember the order of your original layout of the 9 squares? I'm thinking of starting one for a QOV & want to keep it simple~~ for me & the Patriotic Prints I bought.
    Thanks!

• solstice98
    14 years ago

RiverGirl, it would have been the dark print inthe 4 corners, the light print on the 4 sides and the blue in the center.

• magothyrivergirl
    14 years ago

Thanks Kate - that's what I scribbled on a post - it, but wasn't sure.

• loralee
    11 years ago

Love your quilt. I am getting ready to make a nine patch. what size of blocks did you use for this?

This is an old post hopefully you will see this.

• mary_c_gw
    11 years ago

Hi Loralee,

I'm not the original poster, but here is my Disappearing Nine-Patch.

These blocks were all made with 6" squares. I used 5 colors and white-on white. I kept the colors in the same place on each block.

• polardream
    11 years ago

Loralee, not sure what size blocks Geraldine started with, but if you start with 5" squares making a 14" unfinished 9-patch block, by the time you cut and resew to make it "disappear", you should end up with a 12-1/2" unfinished block after you square them up. They are really easy and look really complex!
    Sue

• magothyrivergirl
    11 years ago

Here is a reference chart someone posted - I cannot vouch for the accuracy, but I had saved it in my files (& thank you to the person who posted it).
    The PDF file is much easier to read.

Great quilts!

Here is a link that might be useful: Reference chart D9P Block sizes

• wendyfaye
    11 years ago

I've made several rag quilts with this pattern. I love that there is 'no quilting required'. Its a great versatile technique, and your quilt looks great.

Faye

• day2day
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi Loralee.
    I started with 5" squares.
    I used the dark paisley in the 4 corners of my 9-patch, the greenish-blue(teal?)in the center and the beige for the other 4 blocks. I believe I did 30 nine-patch blocks.
    I hope this helps you.

~Geraldine

• loralee
    11 years ago

Geraldine, Thank you so much this helps a lot.

I could not get into this site all day yesterday. I played with the color and thought this must have been what you did.

I like the choice of your colors too, it turned out very pretty. I am now rethinking my colors as I had picked out 3 colors for mine but they are all brights.

• loralee
    11 years ago

question for you quilters.

Mary, did you use 4 different colors in each corner for the 6" squares? I am debating between using all the same bright larger floral print in the corners. then using white in the centers and a dark fabric for the center square.

I was just thinking yesterday morning that perhaps I should add a white for the light so the darker colors will pop more. The colors I picked out are all brights.

Or I could use one large print in one corner and the other 3 corners are three different colors with teeny tiny almost non-exsistant design that go with the colors in the floral print.

I could use white in between the bright colors and the dark in the center block. I wonder though If I do it this way will it be enough floral design as this is the fabric I really want to stand out.

Or maybe just use one of the lighter colors in between the 4 florals of the same design. I am just not good at visualizing before sewing the quilts.

I will check out the reference chart. The size you suggested is exactly what i sketched out this morning on my paper. Figuring after the squaring up my blocks I want to end up with 12 1/2" or 13" blocks.

Geraldine's quilt gives me a good idea as to what large uncut corners would look like in a finished quilt as I plan on making them 5" squares also.

• quiltnhen
    11 years ago

Turned out beautifully. Hope you can forget the quilting troubles and enjoy it for years to come.

• mary_c_gw
    11 years ago

Hi Loralee,

Yes I used a different color in each corner - blue, pink, yellow and green (all are a floral tone on tone) and then an orange in the center. So then there were 4 white-on-white squares.

Here's a close-up. I used a leaf pattern to quilt it.

• loralee
    11 years ago

Nice close up this helps as the fabrics I have picked out Except for the main floral are all small designs like yours.