Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rosajoe_gw

How can you not like sweet Sunbonnet Sue lol

rosajoe_gw
10 years ago

A lady I met at my sister's church asked me if I could make a SS for her. She said it was vintage and she did not know where the original pattern came from. It was a quilt of 4 and 9 patches with SS's appliqued.

I wish I could see the original quilt, this is gorgeous IMO lol! Would make a beautiful baby gift. Are Sharon and I the only ones that like SS? 'Course Sharon was favoring 'naughty Sue' more lol.
Rosa

Comments (16)

• ritaweeda
    10 years ago

EEWWW! Why would anyone want to swaddle their little darling in that sneaky thing's clutches??? She's almost as horrifying as clowns are. EEWWW!

• nannykins
    10 years ago

I like Sue! I have done 2 with her and one with her brother Sam.
    And I have a daughter named Sue.
    Theresa

• msmeow
    10 years ago

Sue's not my favorite, either, but that one is adorable, Rosa! I love her hankie dress.

Donna

• quiltingfox
    10 years ago

That's precious! I love SS! My Mom started a SS for me when I was little and never finished it; she keeps saying when she retires she is gonna finish it. Hope she does.

Best to you and TFS!,
    Sandra

• toolgranny
    10 years ago

OK the challenge is on! I didn't care much one way or another. But, now I am putting SS on my list to try!

About 100 years ago my GGrandmother made a quilt with blocks similar to a SS but images like a woman. Each was made from scraps of a dress she'd made for a granddaughter and she embroidered the name under the doll. I have only seen pictures as it lives in Oklahoma but most all those names I knew and all are gone. So, it brings back fond memories as I loved those aunts dearly. Your thread above reminded me of her quilt.

• grammyp
    10 years ago

Well, I like her. I love how simple the pattern is and how easily it can be specialized/personalized.

beverly

• loisflan
    10 years ago

I can appreciate SS for her quaint charm, but I would never make a quilt with her in it. As you all have probably figured out, I tend to like the more modern quilts. This is what is so wonderful about our shared passion of quilting. Regardless of your preferences, you can find a pattern that you will love.

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    10 years ago

It's what I did with left over fan blocks. :-) And my take on Southern SueBelle. She is just so much fun!!! I have many ideas but haven't gotten back to her.

SharonG/FL

• kathi_mdgd
    10 years ago

I like her as well,and made one for my ggd in 2012 for her doll.I think she's cute for little kids and their dolls.Now clowns,never ever liked them.
    Kathi

• littlehelen_gw
    10 years ago

At least a clown has a face, unlike SS!

V.

• jennifer_in_va
    10 years ago

I made one once. I've done it, and I feel no need to do it again. Here's mine...

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    10 years ago

Jen, Your Sue's are so cute!!! And you even trimmed her hat! Sweet!

SharonG/FL

• bev2009
    10 years ago

I like both quilts. I still have my grandmothers cardboard pattern she used, although I have never had an urge to make one. Maybe if I had a GD I would.

• petalpatsy
    10 years ago

I like Sue, naughty and nice. I imagine it's like playing paper dolls to pick the dress and bonnet fabrics And then also in your quilt, the balloons! At the same time, I'd never do one. Myself, I'd just prefer to do flowers and birds in applique.

• chickie1
    10 years ago

My grandmother loved SS. She made my daughter a purple quilt with SS's dresses in different scrapes. Wish I had it now. We lost it in a house fire. I like the pattern but not motivated enough to make one. My hubby found a SS quilt at an auction and brought it home. So I have one.
    Darlene

• nanajayne
    10 years ago

I am not fond of the traditional SS quilts as I am prefer more variation in a quilt but I do like the appliqued one. It doesn't seem as planned as when she is feature in a block.

Sponsored
Carl Williamson Designs, LLC
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Nationally Acclaimed Interior Designer | 2x Best of Houzz