Return to the Quilting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
LOTTO - April 2012

Posted by k8orlando (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 22, 12 at 10:58

Thank you for joining in the lotto!

This month's lotto is a winner! We saw a similar pattern in the Black/White Challenge a couple years ago when it won the vote as best quilt!

This lotto is open to all and new quilters are encouraged to participate. You will learn much and have fun doing it. Participate in as many or as few lottos as you want, but even if you don't like the current month's block think about doing at least one. The winner will appreciate your efforts!

Here's the drill:
> each month there will be a designated block or theme
> you can send 1, 2 or 3 blocks
> all blocks must measure 12.5inches x 12.5inches with no more than 1/4" variation, please
> with your blocks include name, mailing address, forum name and $1 to cover postage for the winning blocks (Any money left over at the end of the year will go towards prizes!)
> if possible, either attach your name to the back of each block or write your name in the seam allowance with a fabric pen so the winner knows who made the block (this is not a requirement, just a request)
> all blocks received by the last day of the month will be included in the lotto drawing
> you will have 1, 2 or 3 chances to win, depending on how many blocks you've sent in
> we have a clever way of choosing the winner, with a couple different quilters involved, to keep it fair

April 2012

For April, the block will be Bento Box. Use the link below for instructions. We'll use almost all black and white, with an inner border of any bright color. No juvenile or novelty prints. Please use all cotton fabric, with nicely pressed 1/4 inch seams. Pre-washing is strongly encouraged!

Click here Bento Box Instructions. It's the July block, called "A Touch of Amish" in these instructions, but we'll refer to it by it's more common name: Bento Box.

I've attached pictures of the blocks I made for this one.

Don't hesitate to ask questions or make suggestions. This is YOUR lotto!

Kate

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: LOTTO - April 2012

THX Kate!

I got to get busy on this one...had GS for an overnight during Spring Break....

Gwen

o

Kate, I have been trying to practice on a few blocks that you have designated for the block lotto. I still have a few problems from time to time, especially with the HST's and not cutting off the points! I think that the April block turned out ok, so I would like to enter 2 into this months lotto. I'd like you to take a good look at them though. And I will need the address to send them to and I know you've probably explained how to send them somewhere on the forum so if you could point me to that I'd appreciate it.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Many thanks, Corinne

o

I'm in with one square this month. Maybe it will be my lucky month!

Lola
Photobucket

o

Did you get my parcel Kate?
Theresa

o

Kate,
This is my favorite. Sign me up for 3.
Vasu

o

I love it too and think it will make a really tremendous quilt. This one would be appropriate for gifting to man, woman or baby but I suspect whoever wins will want to keep it all for their own!

I'm interested to see if there's a wide variety of brights added or if a couple colors dominate. Since you only need a little of the bright, it's a good way to dip into your stash.

Theresa, I did receive your package! I have a couple others too and will post the current tally this weekend.

Kate

o

I love this block made in these colors. It has been on my to-do list. Is the deadline the last day of March or April?
Sorry for the dumb question.
Linda OH

o

End of April - you've got lots of time!

o

I finished 2 today while the baby was sleeping & will have them out to you tomorrow.

Melissa

o

I have two, Kate.
April, 2012 BOM-THS

SharonG/FL

o

Bento Box (aka lunch box)

11 stunning blocks received already and it's not even April yet. We're off to a great start!

k8orlando - 2 received (but I plan to do one more)
lola - 1 received
littlehelen - 2 received
nannykins - 3 received (plus all her blocks for May, June & July, too!)
bloomsorelse - 3 received

o

Kate, here are my two. They'll be in the mail on Tuesday.
Photobucket

o

Kate, My blocks were sent yesterday. Please don't put my name in for the draw.

SharonG/FL

o

Kate, I'll be mailing both the April and May blocks early next week.

April blocks:

Photobucket

o

Update: 16 blocks here already!

k8orlando - 3 received
lola - 1 received
littlehelen - 2 received
nannykins - 3 received (plus all her blocks for May, June & July, too!)
geezerfolks - 2 received
loisf - 2 received

o

I think these blocks are really beautiful. Whoever wins will be blown away by them.

o

I'm in. I made 3 blocks today. Kate, I need your mailing address.
Linda OH

o

Linda - You have mail from me!

o

Kate, I'd like to join in this lotto swap. I absolutely adore these colours. Put me down for 2 and can you send me your address please? My blocks will take about 10 days to reach you from Australia, but still before the end of April for sure.

Kristene (tinyteena)

o

Kate, put me down for three blocks.
They're going in the mail today.

Julie

o

I have three done as well. Will send next time to town.

o

SIGN ME UP!!!! I will be back to Colorado and my sewing machine by the end of the week! I will try for 3 blocks but will let you know if I fall short.
Thanks,
Sue

o

Mailing 3 blocks today, but no pictures. The camera is in for a tune-up!
Sue

o

I mailed 3 blocks last week and forgot to post. I think I mailed them on Tuesday.
Linda OH

o

I have a bunch of squishy envelopes but haven't had a chance to sort them and record names this week. I promise I'll get it done in a couple days! I've been spending every minute I could spare working on my picnic quilt, thinking I would need it on Saturday; but I just found out we can't go to the Jazz/Blues fest so I won't need it afterall. (sad face)

Kate

o

I like this block & want to do a few. Don't hold your breath for my blocks though. I've got a busy few weeks ahead of me. If I get them done in time, I will send.

o

I've completed my 2 blocks and will be sending them from Australia tomorrow. Will take around 10 days to reac the US so hope they get there in time

Kristene

o

I'm sure they'll get here in time but if they don't I'll count them anyway. Glad to have you participating!!!

Kate

o

I mailed my 3 lotto blocks today. Will email you the DC# Kate. I had so much going on here that I forgot to take pics of my quilt blocks, but the important thing is they are mailed and on their way. I really enjoyed making this month's blocks. :-) Please let me know when they get there Kate. Thanks bunches.

Best to you,
Sandra

o

Kate~I mailed my 3 blocks on Tuesday. Count me in for the drawing this month! I love the look of this block. How many do you we have so far?

Pic of mine:
Photobucket

o

Fun block....here's my two:
Photobucket

o

I have around a dozen lotto packages stacked up on my desk and will hopefully get to sorting through everything later tonight. DH Jim invited half the neighborhood over for an early dinner tonight so I'm frantically housecleaning right now! Pork tenderloin roasted with peaches, mushroom risotto, big salad... no time for quilting today!

Kate

o

I made a trip out of state last week, and my package has been sitting awaiting my return, postage on it. I'll get it in the post tomorrow. Hope it makes it on time. It should. If it doesn't.......the blocks will be there before you send it off to the winner.

o

mailing 3 today! thanks, Kate, for all the work you do with this Lotto!! :)

o

Hi Kate. Please let me know if my package made it to you.

Best to you and many thanks,
Sandra

o

Just wondering if my package arrived..... Do you have an update on how many blocks are in the drawing for this month?

o

Hi Kate,
I sent my 2 blocks in the mail yesterday.

Thx so much,
Gwen

o

I'm so sorry this took me so long!

Here's the current tally... (drumroll, please) 38
and we have a few days left to go!

k8orlando - 3 received
lola - 1 received
littlehelen - 2 received
nannykins - 3 received
geezerfolks - 2 received
loisf - 2 received
hazelnutbunny - 2 received
tinyteena - 2 received
mary_c - 3 received
lindaoh - 3 received
luvstosharedivs - 3 received
quiltingfox - 3 received
magothyrivergirl - 3 received
polardream - 3 received

Expecting 8 more blocks from beth7happy, calliope and sunnycentralfl. That will give the winner 46 blocks! I can't begin to describe how gorgeous these blocks are. I'm a huge fan of black & white fabrics and all these pretty bright bits make them even better.

Kate

o

Wow-Wow-Wow! ~ Thank you Kate ~ Someone is going to be a Very Happy Quilter!

o

All 8 of the blocks we were expecting showed up today, so now the total is officially at 46.

Like MRG said, "Wow-Wow-Wow!"

k8orlando - 3 received
lola - 1 received
littlehelen - 2 received
nannykins - 3 received
geezerfolks - 2 received
loisf - 2 received
tinyteena - 2 received
mary_c - 3 received
lindaoh - 3 received
quiltingfox - 3 received
polardream - 3 received
beth7happy - 3 received
calliope - 3 received
sunnycentralfl - 2 received

o

Glad you got my blocks. That's awesome Kate - 46 blocks - wow! :-)

Best to you,
Sandra

o

Thx Kate!

Gwen

o

Someone is going to be a very happy camper. Can't wait to see all of them together!

SharonG/FL

o

Kate,
I mailed my blocks today. I hope it reaches you by Monday. If it does not, don't include me in the drawing but send my blocks to the winner anyway.

Vasu

Photobucket

o

k8orlando - 3 received
lola - 1 received
littlehelen - 2 received
nannykins - 3 received
geezerfolks - 2 received
loisf - 2 received
tinyteena - 2 received
mary_c - 3 received
lindaoh - 3 received
quiltingfox - 3 received
polardream - 3 received
beth7happy - 3 received
calliope - 3 received
sunnycentralfl - 2 received
vasu_texas - on the way!

o

Vasu's blocks are here! We'll have the drawing tomorrow evening!

o

Ooooh, only a few more hours until the winner is drawn! This is exciting.

o

Ok I'm here! Sorry for the delay. "Ran into a chum with a bottle of rum..."

I need two volunteers: one to do the random number thing and one to pick a number once that's done.

Who's here?

o

I'm here - how many numbers for the generator?

o
email?

Mary, I don't think I have your email. Can you email me at gwebk8@gmail.com and I'll send you the list.

Kate

o
Sending RE: LOTTO - April 2012...

Sent.

o
next?

OK. And list sent back to you. Also the link to the random number generator.

As soon as Mary sends the list back to me, with the numbers attached, I'll ask someone to give us a number from 1 to 43. Don't give us the number yet, but is anyone else on line???

Kate

o
alone?

Hello? Anyone there? :~((

o

Hello :)

o

Yea! Marsha!

I dont' have the list back from Mary C yet but as soon as I do, will you give us a number?

o
It's time!

OK. Ready!

Marsha, we need a number from 1 to 43, please.

o

Well, I sent you the list of numbers - I did type them all in, and I tried to attach the file, and I really stink at this! I Thought it was saved, and I'm sure it is somewhere....

Sorry - but you do have the random numbers.

o
got it!

I've got them and put them with the list of names. Just sent them back to you so we both have it.

o
We have a winner

Marsha just sent me an email. She's having trouble posting tonight. Maybe others are too and that's why we're having trouble getting responses?

Anyway, her number is.... 23.

beth7happy!!!!!

I bet she'll REALLY be happy with these blocks!

o
Lotto number is:

So I can't attach, and Marsha can't post!! LOL Gremlins at work.

Marsha drew number 23. Congratulations to whomever you are!

o

Congratulaions beth7happy! :-) Thanks for hosting Kate! :-)

Best to you,
Sandra

o
Weird night on line...

I had trouble posting too. Every time I tried it rejected my post and I had to change the subject line. Usually that only happens if you immediately post again, but tonight it made me change even if someone else had posted in between.

Thank you to Mary C and Marsha for your help! Usually it's easier than this and I appreciate your persistence.

o
bugs

o
Message sent

I just sent Beth an email. I know she'll be thrilled!

o

oh my goodness!!! I never win ANYthing......this makes me very (Happy)!!!! Thank you, thank you ALL...the pictures have all been so pretty ~ Cant wait to see them .....Once again, Kate...thank you for all that you do!!!

(Happy)Camper ��

o
congrats!

Envious! ENVIOUS, I say!!

It's such a great group of blocks, Beth7happy! Such fun for you, and congratulations.

o

You're a lucky woman, Beth. Those are wonderful blocks. I was really hoping it might be me. I was already planning what color I would use for sashing. I hope you enjoy them.

o

Congratulations Beth!!!
Of all the beautiful blocks for this year, I think I like this one best. Simple but oh so effective! Your quilt will be fabulous.
Theresa

o

ConGratz, Beth! It'll be fun to see all the blocks together.

Re: changing subject line.....it only takes an extra space.

SharonG/FL

o

I am sooooo jealous! This will make a spectacular quilt. I can't wait to see them together. Congrats!

o

These comments are so funny because I was doing the same thing! Would I use sashing or not? If yes, then what color? Solid black? Solid white? What about cornerstones? Would I group blocks by color or let it be random? I have a feeling we were all fantasizing about these blocks!

Kate

o

Congratulations Beth! Please show us what you do with the blocks.

o

This block so far was my favorite.

Beth, it will look awesome, no matter how you design it!

Congrats, and keep us updated on the construction progress:)

Julie

o
RE: April 2012

Kate "I have a feeling we were all fantasizing about these blocks!"

That's why no one would show up for the drawing! lol

When my posts kept getting rejected - a strange message saying GW wanted my email - I thought I should pick another #, but just so you know, I stuck with my original pick of #23 and tried to post it maybe 20 times! GW voodoo...
so Beth - you were meant to win!

o

I've been ill for the past 36 hours and I'm just getting around to see if I won...but it's not me:( but CONGRATS to you Beth! Can't wait to see what you do with this one, these blocks were fun to make and will make a lovely whatever you choose.
Have fun,
V.

o

Congrats Beth! I love these blocks - be sure to post when you get your quilt put together. It will be a stunner!
Sue

o

It's just a bit overwhelming!! 49 blocks??? ohhh my goodness!!!! That is a LOT of blocks....especially for a novice! As I'm reading all of your comments, I wish there was that 'Like' button, as on facebook!!! this is amazing...I don't know even where to start thinkin! It's a good thing I have 'Quilty Friends'!!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Quilting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here