Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
k8orlando2

LOTTO - April 2012

K8Orlando
12 years ago

Thank you for joining in the lotto!

This month's lotto is a winner! We saw a similar pattern in the Black/White Challenge a couple years ago when it won the vote as best quilt!

This lotto is open to all and new quilters are encouraged to participate. You will learn much and have fun doing it. Participate in as many or as few lottos as you want, but even if you don't like the current month's block think about doing at least one. The winner will appreciate your efforts!

Here's the drill:

> each month there will be a designated block or theme

> you can send 1, 2 or 3 blocks

> all blocks must measure 12.5inches x 12.5inches with no more than 1/4" variation, please

> with your blocks include name, mailing address, forum name and $1 to cover postage for the winning blocks (Any money left over at the end of the year will go towards prizes!)

> if possible, either attach your name to the back of each block or write your name in the seam allowance with a fabric pen so the winner knows who made the block (this is not a requirement, just a request)

> all blocks received by the last day of the month will be included in the lotto drawing

> you will have 1, 2 or 3 chances to win, depending on how many blocks you've sent in

> we have a clever way of choosing the winner, with a couple different quilters involved, to keep it fair

April 2012

For April, the block will be Bento Box. Use the link below for instructions. We'll use almost all black and white, with an inner border of any bright color. No juvenile or novelty prints. Please use all cotton fabric, with nicely pressed 1/4 inch seams. Pre-washing is strongly encouraged!

Click here Bento Box Instructions. It's the July block, called "A Touch of Amish" in these instructions, but we'll refer to it by it's more common name: Bento Box.

I've attached pictures of the blocks I made for this one.

Don't hesitate to ask questions or make suggestions. This is YOUR lotto!

Kate

Comments (77)

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I'm sure they'll get here in time but if they don't I'll count them anyway. Glad to have you participating!!!

Kate

• User
    12 years ago

I mailed my 3 lotto blocks today. Will email you the DC# Kate. I had so much going on here that I forgot to take pics of my quilt blocks, but the important thing is they are mailed and on their way. I really enjoyed making this month's blocks. :-) Please let me know when they get there Kate. Thanks bunches.

Best to you,
    Sandra

• magothyrivergirl
    12 years ago

Kate~I mailed my 3 blocks on Tuesday. Count me in for the drawing this month! I love the look of this block. How many do you we have so far?

Pic of mine:

• littlehelen_gw
    12 years ago

Fun block....here's my two:

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I have around a dozen lotto packages stacked up on my desk and will hopefully get to sorting through everything later tonight. DH Jim invited half the neighborhood over for an early dinner tonight so I'm frantically housecleaning right now! Pork tenderloin roasted with peaches, mushroom risotto, big salad... no time for quilting today!

Kate

• calliope
    12 years ago

I made a trip out of state last week, and my package has been sitting awaiting my return, postage on it. I'll get it in the post tomorrow. Hope it makes it on time. It should. If it doesn't.......the blocks will be there before you send it off to the winner.

• beth7happy
    12 years ago

mailing 3 today! thanks, Kate, for all the work you do with this Lotto!! :)

• User
    12 years ago

Hi Kate. Please let me know if my package made it to you.

Best to you and many thanks,
    Sandra

• magothyrivergirl
    12 years ago

Just wondering if my package arrived..... Do you have an update on how many blocks are in the drawing for this month?

• sunnycentralfl
    12 years ago

Hi Kate,
    I sent my 2 blocks in the mail yesterday.

Thx so much,
    Gwen

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I'm so sorry this took me so long!

Here's the current tally... (drumroll, please) 38
    and we have a few days left to go!

k8orlando - 3 received
    lola - 1 received
    littlehelen - 2 received
    nannykins - 3 received
    bloomsorelse - 3 received
    geezerfolks - 2 received
    loisf - 2 received
    hazelnutbunny - 2 received
    tinyteena - 2 received
    mary_c - 3 received
    lindaoh - 3 received
    luvstosharedivs - 3 received
    quiltingfox - 3 received
    magothyrivergirl - 3 received
    polardream - 3 received

Expecting 8 more blocks from beth7happy, calliope and sunnycentralfl. That will give the winner 46 blocks! I can't begin to describe how gorgeous these blocks are. I'm a huge fan of black & white fabrics and all these pretty bright bits make them even better.

Kate

• magothyrivergirl
    12 years ago

Wow-Wow-Wow! ~ Thank you Kate ~ Someone is going to be a Very Happy Quilter!

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    12 years ago

All 8 of the blocks we were expecting showed up today, so now the total is officially at 46.

Like MRG said, "Wow-Wow-Wow!"

k8orlando - 3 received
    lola - 1 received
    littlehelen - 2 received
    nannykins - 3 received
    geezerfolks - 2 received
    loisf - 2 received
    tinyteena - 2 received
    mary_c - 3 received
    lindaoh - 3 received
    quiltingfox - 3 received
    polardream - 3 received
    beth7happy - 3 received
    calliope - 3 received
    sunnycentralfl - 2 received

• User
    12 years ago

Glad you got my blocks. That's awesome Kate - 46 blocks - wow! :-)

Best to you,
    Sandra

• sunnycentralfl
    12 years ago

Thx Kate!

Gwen

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    12 years ago

Someone is going to be a very happy camper. Can't wait to see all of them together!

SharonG/FL

• vasu_texas
    12 years ago

Kate,
    I mailed my blocks today. I hope it reaches you by Monday. If it does not, don't include me in the drawing but send my blocks to the winner anyway.

Vasu

{{!gwi}}

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    12 years ago

k8orlando - 3 received
    lola - 1 received
    littlehelen - 2 received
    nannykins - 3 received
    geezerfolks - 2 received
    loisf - 2 received
    tinyteena - 2 received
    mary_c - 3 received
    lindaoh - 3 received
    quiltingfox - 3 received
    polardream - 3 received
    beth7happy - 3 received
    calliope - 3 received
    sunnycentralfl - 2 received
    vasu_texas - on the way!

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Vasu's blocks are here! We'll have the drawing tomorrow evening!

• lola99
    12 years ago

Ooooh, only a few more hours until the winner is drawn! This is exciting.

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Ok I'm here! Sorry for the delay. "Ran into a chum with a bottle of rum..."

I need two volunteers: one to do the random number thing and one to pick a number once that's done.

Who's here?

• mary_c_gw
    12 years ago

I'm here - how many numbers for the generator?

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Mary, I don't think I have your email. Can you email me at gwebk8@gmail.com and I'll send you the list.

Kate

• mary_c_gw
    12 years ago

Sent.

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    12 years ago

OK. And list sent back to you. Also the link to the random number generator.

As soon as Mary sends the list back to me, with the numbers attached, I'll ask someone to give us a number from 1 to 43. Don't give us the number yet, but is anyone else on line???

Kate

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hello? Anyone there? :~((

• magothyrivergirl
    12 years ago

Hello :)

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Yea! Marsha!

I dont' have the list back from Mary C yet but as soon as I do, will you give us a number?

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    12 years ago

OK. Ready!

Marsha, we need a number from 1 to 43, please.

• mary_c_gw
    12 years ago

Well, I sent you the list of numbers - I did type them all in, and I tried to attach the file, and I really stink at this! I Thought it was saved, and I'm sure it is somewhere....

Sorry - but you do have the random numbers.

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I've got them and put them with the list of names. Just sent them back to you so we both have it.

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Marsha just sent me an email. She's having trouble posting tonight. Maybe others are too and that's why we're having trouble getting responses?

Anyway, her number is.... 23.

beth7happy!!!!!

I bet she'll REALLY be happy with these blocks!

• mary_c_gw
    12 years ago

So I can't attach, and Marsha can't post!! LOL Gremlins at work.

Marsha drew number 23. Congratulations to whomever you are!

• User
    12 years ago

Congratulaions beth7happy! :-) Thanks for hosting Kate! :-)

Best to you,
    Sandra

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I had trouble posting too. Every time I tried it rejected my post and I had to change the subject line. Usually that only happens if you immediately post again, but tonight it made me change even if someone else had posted in between.

Thank you to Mary C and Marsha for your help! Usually it's easier than this and I appreciate your persistence.

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    12 years ago
  • K8Orlando
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I just sent Beth an email. I know she'll be thrilled!

• beth7happy
    12 years ago

oh my goodness!!! I never win ANYthing......this makes me very (Happy)!!!! Thank you, thank you ALL...the pictures have all been so pretty ~ Cant wait to see them .....Once again, Kate...thank you for all that you do!!!

(Happy)Camper ��

• mary_c_gw
    12 years ago

Envious! ENVIOUS, I say!!

It's such a great group of blocks, Beth7happy! Such fun for you, and congratulations.

• loisflan
    12 years ago

You're a lucky woman, Beth. Those are wonderful blocks. I was really hoping it might be me. I was already planning what color I would use for sashing. I hope you enjoy them.

• nannykins
    12 years ago

Congratulations Beth!!!
    Of all the beautiful blocks for this year, I think I like this one best. Simple but oh so effective! Your quilt will be fabulous.
    Theresa

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    12 years ago

ConGratz, Beth! It'll be fun to see all the blocks together.

Re: changing subject line.....it only takes an extra space.

SharonG/FL

• magothyrivergirl
    12 years ago

I am sooooo jealous! This will make a spectacular quilt. I can't wait to see them together. Congrats!

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    12 years ago

These comments are so funny because I was doing the same thing! Would I use sashing or not? If yes, then what color? Solid black? Solid white? What about cornerstones? Would I group blocks by color or let it be random? I have a feeling we were all fantasizing about these blocks!

Kate

• lola99
    12 years ago

Congratulations Beth! Please show us what you do with the blocks.

• luvtosharedivs
    12 years ago

This block so far was my favorite.

Beth, it will look awesome, no matter how you design it!

Congrats, and keep us updated on the construction progress:)

Julie

• magothyrivergirl
    12 years ago

Kate "I have a feeling we were all fantasizing about these blocks!"

That's why no one would show up for the drawing! lol

When my posts kept getting rejected - a strange message saying GW wanted my email - I thought I should pick another #, but just so you know, I stuck with my original pick of #23 and tried to post it maybe 20 times! GW voodoo...
    so Beth - you were meant to win!

• littlehelen_gw
    12 years ago

I've been ill for the past 36 hours and I'm just getting around to see if I won...but it's not me:( but CONGRATS to you Beth! Can't wait to see what you do with this one, these blocks were fun to make and will make a lovely whatever you choose.
    Have fun,
    V.

• polardream
    12 years ago

Congrats Beth! I love these blocks - be sure to post when you get your quilt put together. It will be a stunner!
    Sue

• beth7happy
    12 years ago

It's just a bit overwhelming!! 49 blocks??? ohhh my goodness!!!! That is a LOT of blocks....especially for a novice! As I'm reading all of your comments, I wish there was that 'Like' button, as on facebook!!! this is amazing...I don't know even where to start thinkin! It's a good thing I have 'Quilty Friends'!!!