Return to the Quilting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
cleaning a singer feather weight 221

Posted by derft (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 14, 12 at 10:55

I just returned home with a 1949 singer featherweight 221 sewing machine, used but in great working condition. My question is how does one get 60+ years of grime off the sewing machine body and table. Looks like smoke and grime. I tried some mild rubbing compound but it doesn't return the luster of the original paint. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: cleaning a singer feather weight 221

I used carburator cleaner. It's really just kerosene from the smell. So, try a little kerosene on a cotton ball and see if that helps. Test first in a place underneath to make sure your paint can withstand it. Products like Goof Off also might do it. Mine was so bad I took it apart and soaked parts of it. I don't think I ever got it all out of the presser foot shaft. it still sticks. But, it sews fine.

o
RE: cleaning a singer feather weight 221

Since my machine came to me restored and cleaned, I can't speak from experience. But, I do know not to use any type of rubbing compound or cleaner with abrasive particles in them. Check at the automotive supply stores for the Tuff-Stuff listed on one site. Ask them about other NON-ABRASIVE cleaners that won't remove the paint or decals.

I did a google search for you. Gailee's blog has good information and I know that she has been in business for many years cleaning, restoring and selling FWs. Check out Graham Forsdyke's web site at www.singer-featherweight.com as he has a great deal of knowledge and experience restoring the machines.

The important thing is to clean gently, do not submerse the machine in anything, and do not use abrasive cleaners. Once your machine is cleaned, you can buff lightly with a soft cloth and a small amount of baby oil to restore the shine.

Teresa

Here is a link that might be useful: Google search

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Quilting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here