Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
geezerfolks_sharon

UFO Finally Finished

Sorry gals, it's scrappy. lol This is middle daughter's 50th BD gift and it fits her personality perfectly! This is Le Ann's 2009/10 BOM (Persimmon Quilts) and she named it A Quilter's Coat of Many Colors. I love the name!! The borders were my idea and think it makes it really busy, but that's Wendy! @:)

You may have seen a picture of this as it was being worked on, but here is the finished product with our very own Beverly as the quilter.....sorry about the wrinkles but had it all prepared to pack before realizing I didn't have a good picture of the quilting.

SharonG/FL

Comments (21)

• magothyrivergirl
    13 years ago

Beautiful! You make scrappy very appealing. I think the borders are perfect.
    This should comfort Wendy turning the big 5-0

• lola99
    13 years ago

It is so bright and cheerful! I'm sure your daughter will love it.

• Robbi D.
    13 years ago

I love the bright colors, including the border. And I'm one that doesn't do busy very well. Happy Birthday Wendy!!

• day2day
    13 years ago

I like it. The scrappy border is great.TFS.

~Geraldine

• toolgranny
    13 years ago

Wonderful job as usual, both you and GrammyP. Those birthdays with a big zero on the end are such a shock so this will give her something special to take the edge off. Be prepared - others are going to want one now.

• karpet
    13 years ago

Great Job! I really like it and I'm sure she will love it!
    Karlene

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you everyone.....I think she'll love it!

mago, Doing a scrappy like this took courage....I just jumped in and did it! It was almost like a mystery because we had no clue how it was going to be tied together, so I mainly went with the colors the blocks were made in rather than changing....even though I had to bite my tongue and close my eyes a few times. lol

TG/Linda, The next/last of the girls won't be 50 until 2015 so I have a few years to prepare. But, her DH will be 50 the same year! Wendy's DH won't be 50 until 2023....I'm thinking I'll get some tops made and have my quilter work on them as she's able. @:) Salijo will have to carry on the tradition for the grands. Maybe that's what she'll do with the UFO's that are here. I better make some more! @:)

SharonG/FL

• chickie1
    13 years ago

Love it! I have started doing more scrappy quilts and like the look. I really like the border. I need to try it. Gotta step out of my comfort zone...
    Darlene

• polardream
    13 years ago

Sharon, it's beautiful! It took me a couple times looking at it to realize the center is the same on all the blocks except one. That really ties the "scrappy" together! Beverly did a great job on the quilting. Nice gift!
    Sue

• sunnycentralfl
    13 years ago

Oh sucks, Mam, you are a great scrap quilter...that border ties it all together!

Be proud!

Gwen---I love it !

• K8Orlando
    13 years ago

You did a great job and make scrappy look easy --- but I know it isn't! it's a delightful quilt and a delightful gift.

Kate

• grammyp
    13 years ago

It is even prettier in person. DD was here when I opened the box it came in and wanted to know if it was for her. Sadly I had to tell her no. The backing is actually brighter than the picture, it is a nice turquoise color.

Sharon, you can make me one for my big 60. (You got 3 1/2 years.)

beverly

• nanajayne
    13 years ago

Congratulations! Good job and love scrappy border. Perfect way to tie it together. DD is very lucky to have such a talented mom. TFS Jayne

• msmeow
    13 years ago

Sharon, it's great! I like the way the white adds a secondary design. And I love the border you added.

Happy birthday to Wendy! I have the big 5-0 this year, too, though not till August. Hubby's is in Oct.; I'm trying to talk him into a nice long cruise to celebrate, but he's resisting. Maybe I can get 2 short ones instead!

Donna

• rosajoe_gw
    13 years ago

She's gonna love it!!! You and Beverly are very artistic!!!!!
    Rosa

• lindaoh_gw
    13 years ago

Sharon, it's great! Your DD will love it.
    Linda OH

• salijo
    13 years ago

Really nice Mom and Beverly. Wendy will love it.

Salijo

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Darlene, This one will really take you out of your comfort zone!

Sue, If you look closely, except for that one block, the 4 corners of each block is the same and put together with white sashing, the center cornerstone and 4 squares on each side of the cornerstone. Even the one that doesn't look like it. @:)

Donna, Do a cruise!!! If you haven't been on one before, maybe should take a short one first. You wouldn't want him sick for 10 days away from home. You'd probably have to Medivac him home. lol

If you can see the binding, that's more the backing color.

I was really digging through the scraps on this one to have enough pieces for each block. There were a couple times I had to make do but it worked out ok. Sadly, some of my fav fabric is gone forever, but I sure had fun playing with it. @:)

SharonG/FL (don't hold your breath for a quilt like this, Beverly, but I think I'll be able to remember your date of birth)

• grammyp
    13 years ago

Sharon, I bet you can. It is a good day, isn't it.

beverly

• TxMarti
    13 years ago

Very pretty! I like the way the white design pulls all the blocks together.

• fran1523
    13 years ago

Now that is a truly scrappy quilt. Great job by both of you.

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville