Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lindaoh_gw

Are you celebrating National Quilting Day on March 15?

lindaoh_gw
10 years ago

This post is replacing my usual weekly weekend post. Saturday is National Quilting Day. I will celebrate by going to "The Gathering of Quilters" in Fort Wayne, IN with two of my friends. Our quilt group usually attends but this year it will just be the three of us. Two years ago when we went as a group, I received a phone call from my son stating that they were on their way to the hospital for the birth of our first grandchild. That is a day I will never forget!
What are your plans for the weekend?
Linda OH

Comments (13)

• jennifer_in_va
    10 years ago

Nope....but I'll be celebrating it next week with my guild. We do an all-day Quilt In with workshops, UFO room, etc. My day will have to be cut short though because DD has a chorus concert that night. But I have a morning workshop, and an afternoon where I hope to get my bargello basted on the larger floor space.

This weekend I may get some sewing done, but we'll see. I do need to get all my fabric starched and maybe strips cut/sewn in preparation for next weekend's workshop.

• msmeow
    10 years ago

I am supposed to be attending a 2-day handbell festival, but I feel too awful to go today. I'm hoping I feel well enough to go tomorrow. If I end up staying home maybe I'll at least feel well enough to sew tomorrow (or later today).

Donna

• bev2009
    10 years ago

I didn't know it was National Quilting Day. LOL I play on doing some quilting tomorrow.

• nannykins
    10 years ago

Sharon pointed out the project quilt. So today, I have all the units ready. Tomorrow will be sewing day.
    Theresa

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    10 years ago

I'll be working on the Stash Attack that's been designated as the project. I'm making it in reds, whites and blues so will be sending the top off as a QOV. I also plan to border the little 9-patch 9-patches, but I'm still thinking about it. :-)

SharonG/FL

• littlehelen_gw
    10 years ago

Celebrating NQD at the Lancaster, PA AQS show. Here w/ Redmary!
    V.

This post was edited by littlehelen on Sat, Mar 15, 14 at 17:14

• loisflan
    10 years ago

Val, I think you may have been celebrating a little too much...

Have fun, you two. I wish I had a quilting buddy.

• littlehelen_gw
    10 years ago

Ok Lois...I fixed the pic, right side up now! Really wanted to show the Dear Jane on display as well. This one was done all in batiks with a dark background...hard to tell if it was black or deep blue. I always thought if I did a Dear Jane, it would be in Batiks and now seeing one...just love it. However...it's a project for some future year!

Saw many spectacular quilts, once my phone is recharged I'll post some more pics...right side up!

Fun day...pick up a few more pieces of fabric for the stash...even some for the retreat challenge!

V.

• loisflan
    10 years ago

I celebrated National Quilting Day by staying in my jammies all day!! My husband is out of town, so no one is here to accuse me of being a slug. I sewed the labels on my great-nieces' quilts, washed the fabric for my husband's quilt and just puttered around in my sewing room - planning and dreaming. Now I'm going to work on the paper-pieced blocks for my Baby Honu quilt. I just noticed it's after 5:00, so I may pour myself a drink to celebrate too. Don't you just love to have a day all to yourself? Happy NQD, everyone.

• quiltingfox
    10 years ago

Well I am enjoying this weekend, even though I have a sinus infection, ... my sister and her family came in from out of state to visit and she brought me several yards of fabric which I can't wait to wash! Got the border fabric cut this week for my parents' Card Tricks quilt so am in the process right now of hand-sewing it on. Hoping by April to have the top completely finished and ready to sandwhich, I'd really like to start hand quilting it in April. Littlehelen thanks for sharing a pic with us, look forward to seeing future uploads of the quilt show you went to. Happy National Quilting Day everyone!

Best to you,
    Sandra

This post was edited by quiltingfox on Mon, Mar 17, 14 at 15:32

• polardream
    10 years ago

Got to the fabric store to pick up the small amount I miscalculated so I could finish a baby quilt! When I got home, I was able to finish piecing the sailboat baby quilt and the borders are on! WOOHOO!!!
    Picked up some Disney princess fabric for the second baby quilt (not my choice) but am still trying to figure out what I am going to do ... have a design in mind. I also got one square for the March lotto done and hope to cut a couple more. It has been a BUSY day! Also took my dog & granddog for a walk - in the crazy cold wind!
    Will work for another 45 minutes or so, then plan to watch a movie with DH.

Didn't get to Sharon's Stash Attack quilt ... other than printing out the pattern. Oh well!
    Sue

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    10 years ago

Sue, Depending on the size of the Princesses in the fabric, you could make the Warm Wishes pattern. You could probably make the frame block like a Rail Fence, but the center strip is larger than the other two in a true Warm Wishes. I don't know if you remember this one I made.

SharonG/FL

Here is a link that might be useful:

• polardream
    10 years ago

Sharon, I like what you did. I was originally going to make something similar but put machine appliqued hearts in the center squares - then they said Disney princesses. I thought I could still do it that way, but the prints are pretty large, so the Warm Wishes may be the way to go! The fabric I finally settled on has groups of princesses - 3 in one, 4 in the other.
    Thanks for posting that - I should be able to make that work!

Sue

Sponsored
Daniel Russo Home
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars13 Reviews
Premier Interior Design Team Transforming Spaces in Franklin County