Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
msmeow

Some March finishes

msmeow
12 years ago

Yesterday I finished these 4 miniatures for my guild's 2013 quilt show. The lady in charge has challenged us to make one a month. I just started last weekend, but now I'm caught up! :)

Port & starboard - 11-1/2" square

Hovering hawks 12" square

Green & white 17-1/2" square

Calico puzzle 10 x 14

Donna

Comments (15)

• lindaoh_gw
    12 years ago

Beautiful! I want to make some miniatures to hang in my sewing room but it just a dream at this time.
    Linda OH

• K8Orlando
    12 years ago

Donna, you've inspired me! I just found out I'll have this Saturday to myself and instead of working on another project, I'll put that one aside and make a mini (or two) for the guild.

I have planned to make some but I've never done a mini before and am a bit intimidated about starting. Seeing your samples helps give me ideas.

I see that one of yours is 17x17... do we have a size limit or a range? How small is OK? How large? Do we label them or at least sign the back? I didn't find guidelines on the guild pages.

Kate

• msmeow
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Kate, there is a size limit but I'm not sure what it is - seems like I've heard 20" somewhere. I'll have to ask Roberta at the next meeting. I've never signed or labeled them.

Donna

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    12 years ago

Donna, I wish I could think of what to do with HST's and 4-patch squares like you do. Your little quilts would do perfectly! I really like the color combo of Port and Starboard. Good job!

SharonG/FL

• magothyrivergirl
    12 years ago

What do you do with these after the show? Are they donated to raise money for a cause?

We saw some patterns for really teeny blocks in Lancaster.

Very nice work Donna!

• K8Orlando
    12 years ago

Thanks Donna! I'll stick with something around 12" to 15" anyway but was curious if there was a rule.

• sunnycentralfl
    12 years ago

Great work, Donna! They are so pretty!

I'm working on the little quilts and bears. such fun! Got 2 done and am on the last one...30's bowties...it is little...12x17.

Kate, I could not find the size of the quilts either!

Gwen

• rosajoe_gw
    12 years ago

Very pretty!!!!!
    You finished them fast!!!

• toolgranny
    12 years ago

I just love miniatures. It's on my bucket list for sure. I live in the world of Sally Collins so will have to be very careful of what I drag in for bring-n-brag at guild. It's sort of intimidating but I can make them and keep them at home and not tell anyone - but you.

• K8Orlando
    12 years ago

For the Florida guild members: I heard from Roberta, our mini quilts chairperson. She says the only requirement is that the quilts be no larger than 20" on any side. Piecing, paper piecing, embellishing, etc are all OK. Labeling is OK but not required. I'm eager to give it a try.

Marsha, I'm not sure what the money is designated for, but the little quilts are auctioned at the show. I think it just goes to help pay for the show and general support of the guild. Our bear/quilt projects are a charity event in that we are supposed to give them to "someone who needs them" after the show.

• luvtosharedivs
    12 years ago

My favorite is the Calico puzzle, with Hovering Hawks a close second.

Is it harder or easier to work with tiny pieces of fabric?

The first, second and fourth minis would look great displayed together on a wall.

Julie

• day2day
    12 years ago

Great work.
    My fave is the Port and Starboard.

I like miniatures but have never tried them.

~Geraldine

• msmeow
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you everyone!

They are for our miniature quilt auction. They have a goal of 100 for the show (I think). At the last show they had 2 separate auctions (we have a 2 day show) and raised a lot more money that way. The money goes toward our community grant program.

Donna

• K8Orlando
    12 years ago

Thanks for the update, Donna. People were asking about the auction and where the money went... I'm embarrassed to admit I didn't know!

Kate

• magothyrivergirl
    12 years ago

Sounds like a great fundraiser for your Guild and its charitable program. The small projects allow many members to contribute without a big outlay of time or money. Good luck-hope you raise alot of money again this year. I like the idea!

Sponsored
Closet America
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars133 Reviews
Northern Virginia, Baltimore & DC Metro's Closet Organization Company