Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vicky4x4

April Lotto- Calling all kitty lovers!

vicky4x4
16 years ago

April Lotto Block:

We will be doing fun Tesselcats from Quilterscache in BRIGHT novelty prints (not childrens) and a black background. You will need to make four blocks and put them together to get a 12 1/2 inch block. I can NOT wait to see these!

Every month I will post a block and fabric requirements for each month we are playing! For each block you send in (up to 3) your name will go into the hat for that month. The first day of the following month a name will be drawn from all blocks that arrive at my house on or before end of the month, these players have a chance at the drawing to be held the 1st of the month. Any blocks arriving after the end of the month will be forwarded on to the winner. All blocks sent in will be sent to the winner. If 50 blocks are sent in, get ready to win 50! There will be no splits of the pot! One winner each month.............For postage I am asking everyone to included a Dollar to cover postage and cost of the envelope to be mailed to the winner............with your block in your baggie include your name, address and forum name and your dollar.

Here is a link that might be useful: Tesselcats

Comments (52)

• laurainsdca
    16 years ago

Hi, Can you please elaborate on "Novelty prints not childrens" I think of a novelty print as something that has an "object" on it -- as opposed to a plaid, floral, tone on tone, etc. But want to make sure I understand correctly. Thanks!

• vicky4x4
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I'll try to elaborate on novelty prints...........

Yes, objects or things like butterflies, buttons, flowers,bright geo shapes, things like that but not cars, trucks, dolls, Burt and Ernie or Big bird. If you look at the picture on the quiltercache page I think it gives the idea too. I was thinking bright and in your face kitties. I hope this helps.

Vicky

• laurainsdca
    16 years ago

Thanks, that definitely helps! I was looking at the cats on that page and liking most of their fabrics. I'm going to give this one some thought... Check the ole schedule...

• redpenny
    16 years ago

cute block but I don't PP!
    Red

• svanessa
    16 years ago

Hi Vicki,

I'll make 3 blocks. I think several of Laural Burch fabrics will work great in this quilt!

Redpenny, you can print out the templates, cut out each piece, redraw them, adding a 1/4" seam allowance then piece as you normally would. A lot of work compared to PP but doable if you want to play.

Sue

• patti60
    16 years ago

i have made a quilt using this pattern, but it was not paper pieced. which i don't do. would join using the pattern i have. would have to double check for size. up to you.

• vicky4x4
    Original Author
    16 years ago

svanessa- 3
    Vicky-1

patti60- if the block is the same size you can use regular piecing, maybe you can post pattern here for others to use that don't pp.

Vicky

• judylee59
    16 years ago

Good Morning!! I LOVE kitties. This block is very cute and the color choice awesome. Too bad I don't know how to paper piece- maybe this summer when I am on vacation, I'll try to learn. If patti60 has a pattern I would love to join. Have a great week everyone! JudyLee

• svanessa
    16 years ago

Vicki,
    In the example each 6" block has 2 kitties made from different fabrics but of similar color. Should we do the same? Each 6" block would have 2 cats of similar color?

Here's my first 6" block:

{{!gwi}}
    Sue

• vicky4x4
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Sue,
    Looks great! I hope more people sign up. I didn't realize pp was going to be a problem.

Vicky

• svanessa
    16 years ago

Vicki,
    If this isn't a go I'll just use the blocks I've made as a BOM for my guild's charity. Every other month a guild member selects a block and raids their stash putting together BOM kits. I have December, '08 so I have plenty of time to put the kits together.
    Sue

• patti60
    16 years ago

i believe we can use the pattern i have. give me a couple days to check it out. i have cemo tommoro, not much good after that.

• Nancy Morris
    16 years ago

Vicky, I will give this a try. (it may take several)hehehe
    I am just trying paper piecing now. I am not very good at judging how big to cut the pieces or how to position them before sewing but I will try.

• svanessa
    16 years ago

Here's a YouTube video on paper piecing. I haven't seen it as this site is blocked where I work so I hope it's good.
    Sue

Here is a link that might be useful: Paper piecing How-to video

• vicky4x4
    Original Author
    16 years ago

svanessa- 3
    Vicky-1
    stitches - 1

• vicky4x4
    Original Author
    16 years ago

The video was not helpful as it didn't show how to pp only the color choices for a pineapple quilt.

Vicky

• vicky4x4
    Original Author
    15 years ago

bump

• redpenny
    15 years ago

Why don't some of the gals who are doing the PP block take pics of how they are doing it and post it!Perhaps others could try with the step by step pics from some who is doing this swap!Just idea!
    Red

• calliope
    15 years ago

It's not as difficult as it sounds. It's one of things if you get a good set of directions, try it out on something easy, the lightbulb goes on and you say ....wow, I did it.

I found a good primer, I think, on the inet and here's the link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Paper piecing primer

• redpenny
    15 years ago

I cant follow dirextions LOl I need to see the actual think done they make it look easy on these PP instructions...until I try it!
    Red

• redpenny
    15 years ago

Here is a block similar it's not 6" if someone could figure out the sizes maybe it couls be used.
    Red

Here is a link that might be useful: link

• vicky4x4
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Red,

I take the challenge! I will put one together and have DD take pictures while I do it and post! I don't know if it can be done today as I have a student today but within the next few days.

Vicky

• caroline1947
    15 years ago

Here is another cat pattern for consideration,,,I made one for Natalie.Fun and easy...I can find the pattern again,it was online and free...

• crafteedee
    15 years ago

I'm in for at least one (I printed 2 sets)...& that's only if my PP goes well. I've done a few tries at PP, but it's certainly not my favorite technique although I love how accurate you can be...when it's done well that is. hehe :)

• vicky4x4
    Original Author
    15 years ago

svanessa- 3
    Vicky-1
    stitches - 1
    crafteedee -1

• vicky4x4
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Here's my finished block, There is a Tesselcat tutorial up, give it a try! They are looking pretty! I can see button eyes on these.........

Vicky

{{!gwi}}

• calliope
    15 years ago

I sure like your contrasts, Vickie. I was thinking how cute they'd be with button eyes, too. Do the block makers put the eyes on, or the person who wins the lotto? If I decided to hop in on this one (and I might) I was dreading the thought of trying to applique in tiny eyeballs. LOL.

• vicky4x4
    Original Author
    15 years ago

The person winning these will have to do the eyes because if it goes to a child they would have to be sewn on, if it goes on a wall well I'd put buttons on.

Vicky

• judylee59
    15 years ago

Vicky- That block is WAY cute!! I love the colors you chose. Thanks so much for the tutorial. I just might give it a try this weekend. I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks- JudyLee

• patti60
    15 years ago

the block red posted is the one i used. and someone did reduce the pattern and did 4 small ones and made the block. put me down for 2 and i will get to work.

• crafteedee
    15 years ago

Can I just pull my eyeballs out now??? These blocks are cute, but PP is definiately not my favorite technique. I hope I win... =>*wink wink*Can I suggest that we don't peel the paper off the back so the winner can accurately sew the blocks together?

Here's the fruits of my 2+ hours of work...and I am getting faster!
    {{!gwi}}

• vicky4x4
    Original Author
    15 years ago

svanessa- 3
    Vicky-1
    stitches - 1
    crafteedee -1
    patti60- 2

Crafteedee, I have already removed my paper backing.I LOVE your blocks! Vic

• calliope
    15 years ago

Put me down for one too. I may do more if time allows.

I have already removed my backing as well (force of habit). I love paper piecing and it's the preferable way to do things for tiny patterns, and accuracy. It's like a coloring book. You can make a pretty picture if you can stay in the lines.

• vicky4x4
    Original Author
    15 years ago

svanessa- 3
    Vicky-1
    stitches - 1
    crafteedee -1
    patti60- 2
    calliope-1

• crafteedee
    15 years ago

It only took me 1 hour to finish the other 2 sections, so my 1 block is done.

Vicky, I think I still have your address from a few months back. You're in P.C. right?

• vicky4x4
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Right P.C.N.Y.

:-)

• robin1962_2008
    15 years ago

Caroline,I would love to have the cat pattern you made.It looks much easier.Do you think you can find the link to it?I`ll look too.I just don`t think I can do the paper piecing. Sorry Vickie, Robin

• redpenny
    15 years ago

Patti do you have the measurements for the block I posted in 6"?
    Vicky you did a great tutorial but I just don't PP!
    Red

• patti60
    15 years ago

give me a few days to work it out. i am sewing on mon so will have it all figured out then.

• calliope
    15 years ago

For any of you who haven't started their blocks yet, I would like to call attention to what Vicky said in her tutorial. Make sure that the pattern prints out EXACTLY the dimension it should. I finished my block tonight, and it turned out just super and then I picked up my measure and duh.......

It doesn't quite hit twelve inches square. I did measure my pattern first, but not carefully....I used a clumsy old kitchen ruler, instead of my sewing rule because I was at my puter, instead of my sewing room. It was off just a wee tiny bit I guess and each seam adds up. I'm going to have to do another block now. Just thought I'd warn you in case somebody else is as sloppy as me. Almost one inch isn't good enough. Not even a few hairs off.

• lrfrank65
    15 years ago

Hi there,

I am new to this site. Was looking for someplace to swap fabrics. I love this block and would love to join in. I will send in 2 blocks. Let me know where to send them.

Thanks,
    Lisa in MN

• vicky4x4
    Original Author
    15 years ago

svanessa- 3
    Vicky-1
    stitches - 1
    crafteedee -1
    patti60- 2
    calliope-1
    lrfrank65- 2

lrfrank65- Please send me an e-mail and I'll send you my address as you don't have one available to me.

Thank you Vicky

• crafteedee
    15 years ago

Vicky, my block went in the mail today. 3 days maybe?

• vicky4x4
    Original Author
    15 years ago

svanessa- 3
    Vicky-1
    stitches - 1
    crafteedee -1- received
    patti60- 2
    calliope-1- received
    lrfrank65- 2

• vicky4x4
    Original Author
    15 years ago

svanessa- 3
    Vicky-1- here
    stitches - 1
    crafteedee -1- received
    patti60- 2
    calliope-1- received
    lrfrank65- 2

• vicky4x4
    Original Author
    15 years ago

svanessa- 3
    Vicky-1- here
    stitches - 1
    crafteedee -1- received
    calliope-1- received
    lrfrank65- 2

Does everyone have my address? Let me know so your blocks will be in for the drawing.

Thanks,
    Vicky

• Nancy Morris
    15 years ago

Vicky, I sent my kitties on last Saturday. Nancy

• vicky4x4
    Original Author
    15 years ago

:-) Nancy, I'll let you know when they arrive.

Vicky

• vicky4x4
    Original Author
    15 years ago

svanessa- 3
    Vicky-1- here
    stitches - 1- received
    crafteedee -1- received
    calliope-1- received
    lrfrank65- 2

• vicky4x4
    Original Author