Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
day2day_gw

Measuring the quilt top

day2day
13 years ago

Before I add borders, I measure the quilt through the center to find out how long the borders should be. I always measure with my 8"X 24" ruler. My friend says that she measures with a plastic,flexible tape measure. I was wondering how others do this.

~Geraldine

Comments (19)

• finchelover
    13 years ago

I'm like you I measure with my long ruler. I was told at one time not to use those tapes because they tend to stretch and then your block or quilt would be off

• lindaoh_gw
    13 years ago

I have a 120 inch retractable tape measure that I use to measure borders. I haven't had any problems with it being off. I do try to not stretch the measure or the quilt.
    Linda OH

• K8Orlando
    13 years ago

I use a 120 inch tape measure too. It's metal, like most of them are, and not likely to distort enough to throw off the measurement of the quilt.

Kate

• calliope
    13 years ago

I use the same industrial metal tape I use when I am plastering walls or doing other home renovations. LOL.

• chickie1
    13 years ago

Never thought to use a metal tape. Thanks!
    Darlene

• toolgranny
    13 years ago

I have a 12 ft metal tape in tools that I use all the time. I actually have several scattered around. They sometimes go to the store with me as well.

• magothyrivergirl
    13 years ago

I also use a metal tape measure. I also use the same tape measure to measure and cut the border. This is what I learned to do when you need precise measurements in cutting wood. I do take 3 measurements along a seamline, not on the edge.
    I dislike the border process-I don't know why-mine have always turned out fine in my short quilt making life.

• lockeb
    13 years ago

I used my measuring tape to measure my quilt for making my borders...
    But, I measure from corner to corner at both ends, then from edge to edge though the center..and take the average of the 3 to cut the 2 borders......
    I follow this for both the vertical and the horizontal borders.

• faintheart
    13 years ago

I used to use my longest ruler but recently got a 120" tape and now use that. It's not metal but I don't worry about stretching as I don't put a lot of tension on it when measuring.

• karpet
    13 years ago

I measure both edges on my cutting mat and use the average of the two.
    Karlene

• grammyp
    13 years ago

I also use a 120 inch tape measure. I measure about 6 inches from each end and across the middle of the quilt.

beverly

• agnesd
    13 years ago

i use the fabric itself. I spread it across the middle and cut. Works perfectly never have a proplem with it.

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    13 years ago

Like Agnes, I don't use a ruler. Spread out the top (usually on my big ironing board), lay the border across the middle, cut and sew it on!

SharonG/FL

• Robbi D.
    13 years ago

I have a few wooden yard sticks that I lay on top. I like the metal tape, but they keep hiding at my house.

Robbi

• rosajoe_gw
    13 years ago

Sharon and Agnes I can do that for baby or lap quilt but not for anything larger. I have seen quilting shows were they use the same method.
    I did that for a full size quilt and I had to take the border off and redo it. I must not lay the fabric on the top straight.
    I use a metal tape for larger quilts. Large quilts are not my fav to do, I run into too many probs.
    Rosa

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    13 years ago

Rosa, I've done it on larger quilts, too. Half at a time and pin the border to the top so it doesn't move. You won't catch me on the floor any more than is absolutely necessary. @:)

• magothyrivergirl
    13 years ago

So, am I obsessing too much about being precise & making sure the borders are exactly the correct length?? I also pin halves & quarters. Maybe that's why I do not like putting on borders....and yes, I am on the floor alot - and I don't have a big floor area, so I have to move some furniture.

Robbi-scratch (engrave) your name on your own metal tape measure & like your scissors, threaten your family if they touch it!!

• mary_c_gw
    13 years ago

NO Marsha, you're not obsessing to much!

I'm lucky in that I have a really huge cutting table to use, so I'm not on the floor.

I square my blocks before joining them, and I count up the block measurements. 4 blocks @ 12"finished size should equal 48.5" - I cut that border to that measurement. I mark the center and quarter marks and MAKE that quilt fit. If there is more than a bit of ease, well, then, I've screwed it up someplace.

But this makes for a flat, square quilt.

• day2day
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for all the replies.
    I am going to get a retractable tape measure. DH has one but I'd like to have one to keep in the sewing area.

~Geraldine