Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
grammyp_gw

OT-bike fall

grammyp
12 years ago

Our Tandem Weekend begins ... with a fall. Today begins our the tandem weekend we are hosting in our little town. One team was here early yesterday and joined us for our Thursday ride. We missed the projected rain and it was a beautiful, overcast, 70s day for riding. We rode 48 miles and stopped for lunch when we got back to town. There was a light shower while we were eating, but was nice when we started the last 5 miles to home. While crossing a railroad track by the fire department (which we have done dozens of times) we went down. Some of the guys came over and checked on us and sent me on to the ER. We are fine, but a bit sore today. We finished up in the ER and managed to meet all the folks for a nice dinner. It is raining today, and we are supposed to keep our road rash dry for at least 2 days, so no riding for us. Showers are going to be a problem, but Saran Wrap helps.

I'll post pictures of the winner of the quilt sometime Sunday. Have a great day everyone.

beverly

Comments (17)

• msmeow
    12 years ago

Oh,gosh, Beverly, I'm glad no one was seriously hurt! I hope you feel better soon and can enjoy the rest of your ride.

My boss's son did a thing called Bike & Build last year. This group of kids (20 somethings) rode bikes from Jacksonville, FL to Monterey, CA stopping along the way to work on Habitat for Humanity houses and other similar projects. I think the trip took 3 months. Early on in the trip (they were still in FL or possibly AL) one of the girls was hit by a car and killed. It was really awful for everyone but they kept going. All the rest made it to Monterey even though nearly all of them were extremely sick (requiring hospitalization for some) with a stomach virus in NV.

Donna

• magothyrivergirl
    12 years ago

Ouch! I am glad your fall wasn't worse! How's your knee?
    I know you have been looking forward to this event.
    Good luck with your quilt raffle!

• lindaoh_gw
    12 years ago

Beverly, I hope you both are feeling better today. So sorry it had to happen just before your big weekend. Have you ever had this happen in the past?
    Linda OH

• K8Orlando
    12 years ago

Oh no! Any fall can be scary and the damage done to our bodies can be so much more severe than expected! Glad you are mending.

Kate

• grammyp
    Original Author
    12 years ago

We have fallen twice on the road bike, but they were just due to uneven spots on the edge of the road as we were stopping and we weren't hurt at all. We will be fine, but I'll be nervous crossing tracks for a while. My right pinky finger is the most uncomfortable and I can't figure out what happened to it. Ibuprofen is my friend.

Donna, that was a wonderful trip for the kids. I'm sorry they had such a bad start, but I'm sure they all matured a lot because they did it.

No one rode this morning because of the rain, so I baked a cake to enjoy at the rest stop at the afternoon ride. We should get started about 1, hopefully the rain will hold off. Gotta keep the scrapes dry, so I'll be in the car.

beverly

• sunnycentralfl
    12 years ago

Oh, you poor Dear!...and DH, too!

Glad you are taking the Dr's advice!

You are making the best of a bad beginning...a mark of a good host!

Your quilt will be such a hit!

Hoping for a Better Day for you soon!
    Gwen

• nanajayne
    12 years ago

Beverly, It sounds as if you are dealing with your mishap as well as could be expected but I know how disappointed you must be not to be biking with the others. Bad things happen to good people so the saying goes. Glad it wasn't more serious and you are making the best of it. Hope the weekend turns beautiful and your plans and scraps improve.

• teresa_nc7
    12 years ago

Oh, no! I hate to hear about this. You two take care and keep dry (in the car).

Teresa

• rosajoe_gw
    12 years ago

So sorry to hear that Beverly!! I know how much the rides mean to you. Looking forward to hearing about the quilt raffle.

Donna how horrible! I wathc the creeps in a car try to intimidate bike riders around here all of the time!!!

Enjoy your cake Beverly!!!!!

• mary_c_gw
    12 years ago

Oh, Beverly!!

May I just say, ouch, ouch, OUCHITY!!

My son made a fundraising bicycle ride in 2006, the Texas 4000 - From Austin, TX to Anchorage, AL. It took 71 days, he personally raised $5000, his team of 20 about $100K.

Goodness, I was nervous to let my barely 19 y-o son off like that, LOL. He came home from that ride pretty much unscathed. (He only told me years later about the 10-mile ride-in-the-nude challenge.)

But then again, he'd been seriously cycling since he was 13. Road rash happens!!

Keep it dry, take that ibuprofen, and take care of yourselves!

I'm sure the quilt is going to bring big bucks - just as it should!

• toolgranny
    12 years ago

I'm sorry to hear of your spill. Any tumble is scary and I'm so glad it wasn't any worse. You'll be stiff and sore for awhile.

Sending hugs to you both.

• jennifer_in_va
    12 years ago

Well, darn those tracks!!! Hate it when they jump out of place like that! Hope you told them to stay where they were supposed to stay the next time.

Take care of yourselves and enjoy the weekend best that you can. Did Tim get it as bad as you? or did he dump you to save himself??

• luvtosharedivs
    12 years ago

Glad to hear there were no broken bones!
    Gosh, I haven't had a road rash since I was a kid! And I remember how it can sting.

Looking forward to hearing about the quilt raffle.

Julie

• grammyp
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for the well wishes. I'm surprised how little I hurt, despite all the bruises.

We had a good day today. Checked out the bike and she will need need a new handlebar wrap and my handlebars will need to be straightened, but seems un-scratched. Tim's helmet will need to be replaced, and we will replace both of them. Well worth the investment.

Didn't ride today, but did catch up with the riders and take pictures. Tomorrow after the ride we will take everyone to the lake for kayaking and riding on the trail. I baked a cake and oatmeal cookies, so it should be a great afternoon.

beverly

• wendyfaye
    12 years ago

Oh Beverly, so sorry to hear this. It must be so frustrating to be sidelined, but at least you can participate in the 'dry' (;) events. Can't wait to hear about who gets the quilt.

Take good care,
    Faye

• day2day
    12 years ago

Glad you are both okay.
    It certainly could have been much worse.
    Also good to see that you are replacing those helmets...safety first.
    Sorry to hear you got sidelined but no serious injuries so that's the main thing.

~Geraldine

• lola99
    11 years ago

I'm late reading this post - I'm so sorry to hear about this, especially at the beginning of your weekend event!

The same thing happened to me about 15 years ago - riding my bike in the rain crossing RR tracks and my back tire slipped into the grove. Reading your post made it seem like it happened yesterday. I was "fine" but I think I got a minor concussion because I felt bad all day and very tired. My bike tire and frame both bent. Not good, but in the grand scheme of things, it could have been so much worse. I'm glad you are replacing your helmets. I did too!

Take care,
    Lola

Sponsored
Suzan Meredith Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars19 Reviews
Ashburn's Innovative Interior Designers 2x Best of Houzz Winner