Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
toolgranny

LOTTO - March 2013

toolgranny
11 years ago

Lotto March 2013

This month we have another old traditional block, Old Maid's Puzzle. Most of you have some 30s fabrics in your stash so I made these with 30s prints using a WOW background. Plain white or bleached muslin would also work. It calls for two colors on the white and the pattern is posted on Quilter's Cache with a link at the bottom.

This lotto is open to all and new quilters are encouraged to participate. You will learn much and have fun doing it. Participate in as many or as few lottos as you want, but even if you don't like the current month's block think about doing at least one. The winner will appreciate your efforts!

A few specifics:

- each month there will be a designated block or theme, you can send 1, 2 or 3 blocks

-12â blocks must measure 12.5â x 12.5â with no more than 1/4â variation. If we call out a different size, it will always show on the pattern but the measurements must stay true so that the winner will be able to assemble the quilt easily.

-With your blocks include name, mailing address, forum name and $1 in the pkg to cover postage for mailing the blocks to the winner.

- if possible, either attach your name to the back of each block or write your name in the seam allowance with a fabric pen so the winner knows who made the block (this is not a requirement, just a request)

- all blocks received by the last day of the month will be included in the lotto drawing. If your block is still in transit, please let us know so you can be included.

- you will have 1 chance to win per block.

Blocks are to be mailed to Valarie. She will arrange the collection and dispersal to the winner. If you need her mailing address, you may request it by sending her an e-mail at littlehelen at comcast dot net.

Any comments and suggestions are welcome. Those who complain get this job next year.

Here is a link that might be useful: Old Maid's Puzzle

Comments (50)

• nannykins
    11 years ago

Like it!
    Have lots of 30's to pick from.
    You are choosing nice blocks.
    Theresa

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    11 years ago

I like it, too, Linda. This will look so 'soft' when all the blocks are together. I might even join in on this one. I've been making the blocks each month but keeping them to put together at the end of the year.....but, you know how that is at my house. lol

SharonG/FL

• quiltnhen
    11 years ago

My existing retro stash is from a baby quilt. I'm guessing you don't want little ducks and bunnies?
    LindaB/CA

• nannykins
    11 years ago

One down. A little "pickier" than the first two but I CAN DO IT!!!!!
    I am having my grandson from France visiting for the next two weeks so want to get the blocks done asap.
    Theresa

This post was edited by nannykins on Sat, Mar 2, 13 at 12:57

• toolgranny
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I saw comments about pressing. Any block with HSTs will have pressing issues as those corners make a lump. I always snip seam allowances at that point and press the way the point actually wants to go. It makes the block press flat and doesn't interfere at all.

So, feel free to snip here and there. The winner will thank you for it.

This post was edited by toolgranny on Sun, Mar 3, 13 at 9:44

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    11 years ago

Oh nuts! I had forgotten about snipping.....thanks for the reminder, Linda.

SharonG/FL

• nannykins
    11 years ago

My blocks were all packaged up, ready to go when I read this. So the seams are not snipped. Sorry to the winner!
    Theresa

• toolgranny
    Original Author
    11 years ago

That's not a problem, Theresa. Some seam allowances stay flat just fine. It depends a lot on the fabric. If the winner feels it is bulky, they can easily snip a few and re press it. Thanks.

• bev2009
    11 years ago

I saw a video about snipping the seams, but I worried the seam would pull apart easier after a few washings. I just don't see why it wouldn't fall apart. Enlighten me please!

• nannykins
    11 years ago

Here are my three for March.
    Theresa

• toolgranny
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Bev, you must be careful not to snip the thread that holds it together, just the seam allowance up to the thread. Remember, when assembled and quilted well, there is no tension placed on that seam any longer, so it stays together just fine. You don't need to be worried.

• bev2009
    11 years ago

OK, toolgranny. I'll just have to trust you experienced quilters and give it a try. Thanks for the explanation.

• loisflan
    11 years ago

Here's my block for March. It's in the mail, Valarie.

• littlehelen_gw
    11 years ago

These look great...hope to get some time this coming weekend to make a few.
    V.

• polardream
    11 years ago

I am in for 3 blocks. They went together very quickly! I will mail them out tomorrow.
    Sue

• lola99
    11 years ago

Wow, everyone's blocks look great. I'm not sure I'll have time to participate this month, but I hope to make at least one.

Lola

• beth7happy
    11 years ago

Busy month ahead...I knew if these were not done very early, they'd never get done!! I can picture all these blocks together to make a quilt for a very exquisite Bed and Breakfast with an antique bed! I didn't have a clue what '30's fabric' was....did some research and found it to look just like my grannie's house dresses!!!! :)

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    11 years ago

As soon as I saw the block Linda chose for this month and done in 30's, I just knew it would be a winner!!! These blocks will be awesome together!

SharonG/FL

• littlehelen_gw
    11 years ago

All the blocks look great, but I have to admit ...I love those orangie colors Beth...so glad you had Grannie house dress....
    I hope to find time and get some blocks made this weekend...just a few hours till the weekend is official for me!
    V.

• K8Orlando
    11 years ago

I have the fabrics cut out for my three and hope to put them together tonight. It's a versatile block and I love, love, love the 30's fabrics.

• tuppermom
    11 years ago

I have 2 blocks ready to go. I will get a picture before I pack them up. Mine are darker in color than most of yours so hope they will "play well"

Maryv

• mary_c_gw
    11 years ago

I have 3 blocks ready, and have emailed Valarie for the address. This will make someone a very pretty quilt.

• mary_c_gw
    11 years ago

Here are my Lotto blocks. I got them in the mail today.
    MaryC

• tuppermom
    11 years ago

Here are my blocks for the March lotto
    I am going to Niagara Falls, NY on Thursday and will mail them from there.

Maryv

• bev2009
    11 years ago

Valerie, I sent you an email today for your address. I cut out 3 today, so hope to sew them tomorrow.

• toolgranny
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Valarie is out of town this week so if you don't hear right away, don't worry. I'll try sending it to you via gardenweb but if it doesn't come through, just wait till she gets back Sunday.

Then I'm off for two weeks starting Sunday. But, don't worry - I'll post April before I go.

• calliope
    11 years ago

I didn't have a clue what '30's fabric' was....did some research and found it to look just like my grannie's house dresses!!!! :)

LOL at this comment. I also wasn't quite sure what 30s prints were. This board is such a good learning experience. The first quilts I ever remember seeing were in fabrics like this, so it plunks a few memories. Since I've been quilting, it's become so much easier to look at fabrics and just get a sense of in what decade they were popular. I can spot a fifties or sixties print in a heartbeat.

• beth7happy
    11 years ago

Since I had to be out of town, my niece was kind enough to take my 3 blocks and post them for me. I hope!!! :) Valarie, please let me know if/when you get them??

• quiltnhen
    11 years ago

Next stop post office! Hope it gets to you in time.
    LindaB/CA

• littlehelen_gw
    11 years ago

Linda..your blocks are adorable...no drawing until I get to see them up close and personal.
    I just returned from a mini vacation in the new orleans....the mail was delivered and Mary V., Beth7happy, Nannykins (Theresa) and Mary C's blocks arrived. I'll take a group shot of all the blocks this weekend and post. As soon as I receive all the blocks, we'll do the drawing!
    V.

• bev2009
    11 years ago

Mine are going to the post office today, picture later.

• nannykins
    11 years ago

As much as I love 30's fabrics, please do not put my name in the drawing for these beauties. I still have the Jan. blocks to work on and I am waiting for last Aug. blocks to arrive so I can put them together.
    BTW, has anyone seen (or heard from) Kate lately? I sent her a note a few weeks ago and she has not responded.
    Good luck to the other members.
    Theresa

• littlehelen_gw
    11 years ago

I had a hard time getting all these blocks in one photo...someone is going to be a very lucky winner!!

Theresa, I received two blocks after the Jan drawing that needed to be mailed to you and then Kate told me she had your blocks from last year...Anyway...long story short..Kate mailed me August blocks, w/ the March lotto...so I'll get these in the mail along with the extra Jan blocks today or Saturday at the latest.
    You are going to be very busy at the machine!
    V.

• nannykins
    11 years ago

Oh I can hardly wait!!!!!!!
    And these blocks look amazing!!!
    Theresa

• bev2009
    11 years ago

Here are my three that I mailed yesterday. They all look beautiful!

• littlehelen_gw
    11 years ago

anyone on line...need someone to pick a random number so the winner can be selected....I'll stick around for 30 minutes or so...
    V.

• beth7happy
    11 years ago

I'm here... a number between what and what???

• beth7happy
    11 years ago

Those blocks are just beautiful together!!! LOVE them!!

• beth7happy
    11 years ago

Those blocks are just beautiful together!!! LOVE them!!

• littlehelen_gw
    11 years ago

pick a number between 1 and 21

• beth7happy
    11 years ago

The number is: 17 (first number that came to my mind!)

• littlehelen_gw
    11 years ago

AND THE WINNER IS:...DRUM ROLL PLEASE......

BEV2009

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

• beth7happy
    11 years ago

Congrats, Bev!!! soooo pretty!!

• littlehelen_gw
    11 years ago

Bev...you are the lucky winner of 27 lovely blocks ( a few sent in blocks, but did not want to be in the drawing). This is going to make a spectacular quilt!
    I will get these out to you by weeks end. Congratulations and enjoy!.
    V.

• tuppermom
    11 years ago

Congratulations Bev!

• quiltnhen
    11 years ago

Woo, hoo! Great haul. Congrats on your win bev.
    LindaB/CA

• polardream
    11 years ago

Congrats, Bev! Great blocks.
    Sue

• nannykins
    11 years ago

Congrats to you!
    Waiting to see how you will put them together.
    Theresa

• bev2009
    11 years ago

They are beautiful! Thank you everyone. I can't wait to make this.

• K8Orlando
    11 years ago

Congrats Bev!