Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lindaoh_gw

Are you quilting this weekend? March 1-3

lindaoh_gw
11 years ago

A friend told me about a new quilt-along that I am joining. This is a barn quilt with a different block on the side of each barn.
I want to make this block and to continue working on the plaid quilt. The plaid blocks are almost finished, I only have one more seam to sew on each block. The next step will be making HST for the border.
Are you quilting this weekend?

Linda OH

Here is a link that might be useful: Barn QAL

Comments (24)

• nannykins
    11 years ago

I hope to finish the binding on the quilt that I was working on two weeks ago. (I was away for a week). I finished unpicking the serpentine stitch and did something easier. Just hand stitching the binding is left.
    And I just saw the post for March Lotto, so will be digging out fabrics for that.
    Theresa

• msmeow
    11 years ago

This morning I got a small section of my colorwash quilt done. Tomorrow I'm taking a hand applique class with my guild (Suzanne Marshall is the teacher). It's only till 2 so hopefully tomorrow afternoon I can get some more colorwash done.

Sunday I have the early shift at church (need to be there by 7:30) then we're going to Lakeland to see mom.

Donna

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    11 years ago

Linda/OH, Thank you so much for posting the link to the Barn QAL! I've been wanting to make one of these in the worst way for a long time! Now I'm inspired to actually do it!

For this week-end......not sure. I'll let you know after whatever it is gets done. :-)

SharonG/FL

• lindaoh_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Sharon, I would love to have you join us for the QAL. I am quiltinglinda on the Flicker group and my friend is Krislovesfabric. I would love to have anyone else that is interested in the Barn QAL to join also.
    Linda OH

• quiltnhen
    11 years ago

Maybe I'll get in some overdue machine time. Actually left the house today for about 1/2 hour for a ride in DH new (10 yr. old) pick up. Balmy sunshine this afternoon. First day out since last Sunday.

While I've had great treats throughout this bug, with my b.day blocks, it reminds me how quickly the next b.days are upon us! Gotta get stitchin'!

• vacuumfreak
    11 years ago

I need to do several projects, but the machine is still sitting on the floor in its protective cover from when I went to the sit and sew a week ago (and will go back next week!).... Every time I think about sewing, I change my mind... I'm backed up on dishes and laundry and have a lot of general cleaning that needs done... last night, I decided to start cleaning under the bathroom cabinet.... Along with about 30 tweezers and nail clippers (most rusted shut and missing springs), I found 15 bottles of half full NyQuil, one of which the top was loose on and spilled all over the carpet... it wasn't fun! At least I have the equipment to take care of it, but digging out the carpet shampooer at 3 AM is not my idea of fun, no matter how much I love floor care appliances. I think I have so many bottles of over the counter cold stuff because I'm such a baby when I get sick that I'd rather buy new than dig for something I may or may not already have!

Donna, how is your mom? Did she get settled into a retirement or assisted living place yet?

• jennifer_in_va
    11 years ago

I'm actually sewing for the first time in ages! But it's not going well. :(

I'm (trying) to do the Keepsake Quilting Challenge. I have a rather ambitious design worked out, but it's not going together very well or easily. I'm doing a lot of ripping.

I neither like to rip out (I usually 'make do') or redo a million seams, nor do I like to give up. So I'm on the fence as to whether this WILL work, darn it, or if I should give up. Did I tell you I don't like to give up?

I doubt I'll even make the deadline, so do I continue to work on it for my own sake, and if so, why am I pushing myself until midnight!?!?

Otherwise, it's a busy weekend with scout activities both days, and DH out of town for work through midnight tomorrow.

Jennifer

• msmeow
    11 years ago

Bobby, thanks for asking! Mom is settled in assisted living for the moment. She is happy and healthy! She's continuing PT and planning to go home in a month or so.

Donna

• jennifer_in_va
    11 years ago

I'm actually sewing for the first time in ages! But it's not going well. :(

I'm (trying) to do the Keepsake Quilting Challenge. I have a rather ambitious design worked out, but it's not going together very well or easily. I'm doing a lot of ripping.

I neither like to rip out (I usually 'make do') or redo a million seams, nor do I like to give up. So I'm on the fence as to whether this WILL work, darn it, or if I should give up. Did I tell you I don't like to give up?

I doubt I'll even make the deadline, so do I continue to work on it for my own sake, and if so, why am I pushing myself until midnight!?!?

Otherwise, it's a busy weekend with scout activities both days, and DH out of town for work through midnight tomorrow.

Jennifer

• toolgranny
    11 years ago

As usual, I will be doing my Saturday morning applique at my volunteer job. I am trying to resolve an issue with a project I put aside.

As I get ready for trips coming up, I am finding it hard to concentrate on the sewing room but I'll get a dab in now and then. The challenge quilt is foremost right now and I had a wonderful Friday fabric shopping with a good friend. My head designed at least five more quilts but I resisted the urge and bought only a few fat quarters. I see Hawaiian blocks in my future.

• fran1523
    11 years ago

I have nothing else planned so there's no excuse not to. Thing is I'm between projects and haven't decided what to do next. Maybe I will make a few string blocks out of my scraps. At the very least I will pin the zippers on the top and backing I have completed to get ready to take to the long arm rental place this week.

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    11 years ago

Linda/OH, I did sign up but probably won't post any pictures. Today, I'd like to make a barn!

Donna, Glad to hear your mom is happy and healthy. That has to give 'you' peace of mind.

I made a Lotto block last night and had trouble with how to press the back of it without opening the seams. I'll make more, but not sure how many.

SharonG/FL

• day2day
    11 years ago

I am making a scrap table runner for my kitchen table. I changed the paint color on 3 walls and wanted to do a new runner & placemats. I started the runner this morning but I'm not sure I like it. I will finish it and see how it works. It can always find a home somewhere else.

Hope you all have a great weekend.
    Cheers.

~Geraldine

• rosajoe_gw
    11 years ago

We are having a really cold weekend and may have snow flurries.

I really should finish a charity quilt I have started BUT I have been watching TV alot with DH and knitting an afghan for a bday gift.

Linda, thanks for the link, like Sharon I have been wanting to make a barn quilt too so I may join.
    Rosa

• littlehelen_gw
    11 years ago

sounds like everyone is busy...

I hope to assemble my scrappy this weekend on point...my first! anxious to see how that goes.

Packing up the feb. lotto winner..Vasu! Packing to mail March birthday blocks and hopefully start the March lotto blocks...

V.

• calliope
    11 years ago

Not yet......still cleansing my palate from quilting before starting the next one, but I did spend several hours in the sewing room and have the little white eyelet pinafore finished for my g'granddaughter Daisy. I may venture into some planning or cutting for a quilt tomorrow, however.

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    11 years ago

Today, I hope to Raise a Barn, finish another Lotto block and snip seams. I had so much fun choosing fabric for the barn. Not sure if I'll like it after my eyes clear up, but for now, I do! :-) (3 more days til the next eye update....sigh)

SharonG/FL

• polardream
    11 years ago

I am trying to finish all of my birthday blocks. Yesterday I finished one March birthday block and have torn another one apart 3 times. Maybe today I will have better luck. It is the LAST one I have to do for the year!!! I also have a small challenge block I need to finish before Thursday ... it is giving me fits also! Maybe today my luck will turn!

Would love to start something new ...

• calliope
    11 years ago

It snows, it snows. Not enough to get deep, but enough to be nasty, dark and glum. I dug out the wool this morning and have been sneaking to the sewing room in hour or two blocks between chores and have twelve sixteen inch blocks done so far. I've never made a disappearing nine patch, and figured to fix that situation. It should be the perfect pattern for wool, so no small pieces, no diagonals, since the seams would be bulky and the ends want to fraying. Like the look so far, and should make one of those "pull it out when it's ten degrees" quilts.

• nannykins
    11 years ago

This is the quilt I finished this weekend. It has already gone to a breast cancer victim to be used during her chemo sessions.
    I started with a floral with peach and pale mauve in it and tried to be so "matchy-poo" that I think the paler colours got lost. Ah well! The pattern is Lover's Knot or Chevron depending on the designer.
    This quilt also fits in the stash buster category.
    Theresa

• Robbi D.
    11 years ago

Very nice Theresa, I know it will be well loved during those chemo sessions.

I was able to get all the sewing done for the gifts for my great niece who was born in January! Better late than never :-)

I was also able to work on my quilt challenge wall hanging.

Robbi

• quiltnhen
    11 years ago

I like the knot pattern and the colors are soothing!

• littlehelen_gw
    11 years ago

Ditto what quiltnhen said...what a nice thing to provide a chemo patient.
    V.

• loisflan
    11 years ago

Theresa, your quilt is lovely!

I had a very productive quilting weekend. I finished the border and the backing for my Marimekko scrap quilt. Man, I hate working with a king size quilt. So much fabric!! I don't have the room for it. But off to the LAQ it goes this week.

I also pieced the bias, striped binding for my Pinwheels and Prairie Points quilt, which will come back from the LAQ this week.

And I made a March lotto block.

Sponsored
Rodriguez Construction Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading Home Builders in Franklin County, OH