Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
calliope_gw

The Third New Year's Mystery Quilt Top

calliope
10 years ago

Forgive me if this pops up twice. I posted a thread yesterday with a picture of the New Year's Mystery Quilt, I made along with Toolgranny and NanaJane. Don't see it, so don't know if it took or not. Just promised to show mine too, so here it is. Made it ten squares larger to fit a single bed, and added a border.

Comments (15)

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    10 years ago

Great use of fabric! Isn't it amazing all the patterns the HST can make? I wonder if there's a guide somewhere showing them..........

SharonG/FL

• toolgranny
    10 years ago

Great job. When you said "scrappy" you really meant it. I'm glad you finally got it together to show us. I know Theresa is working on hers but guess we are the three musketeers on this one. Don't know if I'll do it next year but this was fun.

• calliope
    Original Author
    10 years ago

It was fun. And pretty painless, too. I think I'll make another one down the line using this pattern, but knowing now what I didn't know then (the pattern), I'd certainly confine the next one to no more than four fabrics to put an emphasis on the patterns hidden within it. It ate up the smaller pieces of fabric I'd been hoarding, too small to really use in a themed quilt, too large to be considered scraps and cut up. It shall probably be the 'extra' quilt I use on my daybed when I launder the usual one.

• loisflan
    10 years ago

Nice job, Calliope. You put your blocks together differently than ToolGranny. How was the mystery presented? Did you just have to make x number of certain blocks and the way in which they were assembled was up to you? I've never participated in a mystery quilt.

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    10 years ago

When the words 'mystery' and 'quilt' are used together, I get scared. I like to see the end result.... I like this one and probably would have participated. It looks to be almost mindless......and that's good right now.

• User
    10 years ago

I think it's a cute quilt. I like how it's so scrappy. TFS!

Best to you,
    Sandra

• quiltnhen
    10 years ago

Fun colors in an interesting pattern annnnd using up your stash. I'd call that a successful mystery.
    LindaB/CA

• calliope
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Lois says.......... How was the mystery presented? Did you just have to make x number of certain blocks and the way in which they were assembled was up to you?

Yes. You're told how many sub assembly blocks to make and from what colour run. This isn't done all at once, but revealed a bit each day. When all the 2 inch and six inch blocks are finally made ahead of time, they have a grand reveal and tell you how to put them together into a certain number of twelve inch blocks. I didn't pick up on them suggesting any particular way to assemble these blocks, and always.... reserve that for my own discretion anyway.

In this case you were told to use twenty different light and same amount of dark fabrics to make each block different. I did it on faith, and was clueless where they were going with it, so therefore really unable to either come up with a colour scheme or even if I did, don't know if I had enough stash to coordinate it anyway, so I just took it on faith and hoped I'd like it. I loved the pattern choice, but think all the wild combinations don't do it justice. But, it was fun, anyway. Glad I did it.

• nannykins
    10 years ago

And I think I had better put mine together today. You girls have left me In the dust.
    Theresa

• day2day
    10 years ago

It turned out great. Good job.
    I love scrappies!!
    TFS.

~Geraldine

• nannykins
    10 years ago

I know I posted this when the blocks were complete, but yesterday I got them put together and today added borders. The backing, batting and binding are all ready waiting for me to have another free day.
    Theresa

• quiltnhen
    10 years ago

Looks great. I guess that's yet another quilt for "the list"

LindaB/CA

• calliope
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Shazam, Theresa! Loved it before but the border just knocks it out of the park.

• nannykins
    10 years ago

I rarely visit the Gallery section of the Forum but this morning I did. And I saw a really lovely Mystery quilt made by amazingcm. We missed it.
    Does anyone else visit or use that section?
    Theresa

• nannykins
    10 years ago

This quilt was just given today to a cousin who will be starting Chemo next week.
    Theresa

Sponsored
Haus Studio
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry & Design Studio