Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
day2day_gw

March,2011 Show and/or Tell

day2day
13 years ago

Hi all. Are you ready to share your projects with us? I am looking forward to reading your posts and looking at your pics.

March is in like a lion in this area...March 1st. brought snow, gale force winds, freezing rain, then rain. It was a messy, mixed bag. On the plus side, the 2nd. and 3rd brought sunshine.

The tech guy came and hopefully Puter will now behave himself.

I have no finishes yet for this month. I am working on finishing the binding on a few quilts. No new projects started although I am getting itchy to start something new. I did cut some different-sized squares. I packed them into a box and added some smaller fabric pieces. They are going to my sister who is new to quilting and doesn't have a lot of fabric yet.

Hope March keeps you busy and happy.

Have a great day.

~Geraldine

Comments (47)

• nannykins
    13 years ago

In southern Ontario, we had a lovely sunny day. Just a bit nervous about the end of the month though.
    No projects being started right now, am looking through patterns to find a wedding quilt idea. Oldest grandson announced his engagement on the weekend, so Nanny had better get busy.
    But I do have about three tops staring at me so maybe that will get done this month. I said "Maybe".

• msmeow
    13 years ago

We're having beautiful spring weather here in central FL. March started out with rain and a lot of wind, though. The only problem is the wind is blowing smoke and ash over from the big wildfire in the Melbourne area.

I'm down to 3 more WIPs, but I'm taking a class on Sat. so that will be one more. LOL I'm hoping to get a couple of them done this month! When all the WIPs are made into complete tops I'm going on a quilting binge and get them REALLY finished.

Going to a quilt show tomorrow...hopefully I won't be too bad at the vendor booths!

Donna

• cannahavana
    13 years ago

Finally have my daughter's quilt finished. Another Depression block from Quilter's Cache. The green came out REALLY bright in the picture. Size 88x56

Rebecca

Label

• toolgranny
    13 years ago

that's a real winner. I love your colors. Good job.

• nanajayne
    13 years ago

Very nice Rebecca, I love those green dots. I think I have a little of that.
    I am still working on my Sylvia's Bridal Quilt but have started a new one for my sister. A D9P that will move along a lot faster. May be able to show before the end of the mo.
    Jayne

• salijo
    13 years ago

Rebecca...Nice fabric choices used to match each of your different shades!

salijo

• rosajoe_gw
    13 years ago

Rebecca I love it!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I like yours better than the original block posted on the site.
    I have been playing in the dirt this week, we have had gorgeous weather, and soon it will be so hot that I can't stand to play in my yard so I'm taking advantage of it.
    I started a Cathedral Window and I have sewn them in wrong, all hand stitched! Now I have to take them out, but I am taking pics first and posting them to show you just how big of a doh doh bird brain I am lol!!!!!
    Rosa

• User
    13 years ago

My aunt's 70th birthday is fast approaching and that Cats Lie Sleeping pattern and fabrics has been sitting here for close to a year.

Just this morning I got the blocks done. Now I need to applique 24 cat heads and two sleeping mice before sending it to my LA quilter by 3/20.

No pressure.

• Robbi D.
    13 years ago

Rebecca, I love your quilt!! Can you tell me how you did your label?

Rosa, I'm wanting to start a CW. I have all the fabrics. I just need the time. I have 2 BOM quilts started, that go through 2011, so they will take up most of my time for a while. I do like the "mistake" way you did yours. Nice variation.

Robbi

• cannahavana
    13 years ago

Go Diane Go! You can do it!

Robbi, I used photo fabric sheets from, I think, JoAnns. You might be able to find them at walmart. I made the label on my computer and printed it onto the photo fabric. Rinsed in cold water then pressed with a hot iron until dry. Cut into a triangle and stitched it in with the binding. Wa-la! Easy peasy label. The photo fabric is a bit pricey but so worth it to make labels.

Rebecca

• day2day
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Rebecca, congratulations on finishing your daughter's quilt. It's a great pattern and you did a wonderful job. I bet your daughter loves it. I like the label too. Thanks for sharing the instructions for doing the label.

Jayne, hope the D9P goes fast. It's an easy pattern although sometimes my cutting is a bit off. I usually use 5 1/2" squares which makes a 15 1/2 " nine patch. I use my cutting board but sometimes I have problems cutting the nine-patch accurately.

Dian, good luck getting the Cats Lie Sleeping quilt done. I am going to Google the pattern to see what it looks like.

Donna, did you enjoy the quilt show? I wish they had a few more in this area. There's usually one or two in the spring but I have to travel to see them and it gets a bit expensive. I do try to get to at least one each year. I find that they help me with new ideas and it's always nice to see such different designs and layouts.
    Good Luck with your UFOs.

Nanykins, I usually go with a D9P for a wedding quilt...do it in their favorite colors or the wedding colors. Of course you might want a special quilt for your grandson. Would you attempt a Double Wedding Ring? I have tried it at least 3 times but find it a difficult pattern. Let us know what you decide.
    What are the patterns of the 3 tops you have done?

Rosa, thanks for being brave enough to show your CW. We can all relate. It didn't look that bad. Did you take them out? My sister started a Faux C.W. but didn't finish it. She saw it on a video, probably YouTube. Have you seen it?

Robbi, good luck with the BOM quilts.

Everyone, have a great day.

~Geraldine

• nannykins
    13 years ago

In answer to Geraldine's questions, I don't think I would attempt a DWR, too chicken. and I think the dog sleeps on the bed. So that influences my choice.
    I did find a couple of patterns with stars and alternate blocks. Still thinking.
    The three tops waiting for me are a Lover's Knot by Eleanor Burns, in pinks, soft mauve and light yellow. Then I have a top which is just like a wonky pinwheel, only the wheels are straight. I found it somewhere on the 'net. It was very easy to do but next time, I will make them wonky. And the third is a pattern called Hanging baskets. Lots of work in that one and I am not totally thrilled with it but Hey! we can't love them all. All of these are for chemo quilts so they are not huge.
    I probably won't get back to these this month. I have daughter in Calgary who is alone and has been feeling not well since Christmas. She actually called yesterday and asked if I could come out and say with her for a while. I think she is frightened, so I am off on Monday,
    coming back ????
    Keep her in your prayers, please.

• polardream
    13 years ago

Rebecca - I love the bright colors! Overcast here in Colorado today - but no snow (at least where I live). They are saying by Tuesday we could really be in for a big change ... if that's the case, I hope to make progress on lots of UFOs.

I finished my 2011 Piece of Cake birthday blocks and love the cheery blue/yellow/white combo. It doesn't have a home yet, but it seems like all of my son's friends are at the age where babies are starting to arrive. Me, I have a granddog - which is okay since he isn't married!

Sue

• nannykins
    13 years ago

I do like blue and yellow quilts. And yours is lovely.

• magothyrivergirl
    13 years ago

Rebecca ~ I love your quilt!! I think you showed it when you were working on it, and I thought the colors were beautiful then - perfect for your daughter! I just completed a D9P hot pink & green quilt for a little girl my grand niece (? - my nephew's daughter :).

Sue, I enjoyed making the blue and yellow block for your birthday - you are going to make us look bad getting it completed so fast! I am in the same situation as you - I have a Grand Dog - also okay (unmarried) while his friends are all having babies :)

I have finished 3 more quilts this week - phew...

The D9P - for a little girl - hearts on the back and quilted hearts in variegated thread

A Stack n Whack for my grand nephew out of skateboard bright fabric and Kona black - also quilted in varigated thread in loops and arrows.

And a tube quilt "Tradewinds" using Batiks and peace- love -flowers in bright colors for the back.

The border and pinwheels were bright dots on black

Thanks for looking! I need a sunny day for better pictures!

• nannykins
    13 years ago

Magothyrivergirl

Gorgeous!
    Did you find the stack and Whack addictive? Can't wait to see how the next one turns out?
    They are fun.
    And I love the colours in your tube quilt.

• magothyrivergirl
    13 years ago

Yes, I love doing Stack n Whacks - this was my second one. I have another one that I made last year that needs to be quilted. I know Stack n Whacks make some people cringe :)
    but I think they are whimsical and fun! Great for novelty prints.

• rosajoe_gw
    13 years ago

Marsha!!!!!!!!! did you FMQ the gorgeous quilt????? I am so going to learn this year! Love all of them!I want to try a Stack n Whack, I think my son's girlfriend would like it.
    Sue, is that the name of the pattern, gorgeous quilt?
    Nannykins, keep us posted about your daughter please.
    Robbi, after Calliope posted that my goof up was an alternative way of making the CW I started looking around some more. I found this site with different shapes (she calls them petals) for the CW so I left what I had started and I am going to use it as a border. It's not fast but it was so relaxing to sit outside on the patio today and sew!!!!
    Rosa

Here is a link that might be useful: DifferentCathedralWindowBlocks

• polardream
    13 years ago

Marsha - I'm going to make you look bad? You finished 3!!! And they are fabulous! Did you use the varigated thread in your bobbin?? What kind of thread did you use? When I tried I was using Sulky 100% Viscose/Rayon and had loads of problems. I love stack-n-whack quilts too. I just added a border to one I had in my UFO stack, now just need to sandwich & quilt. The tube quilt is great - ANOTHER one to add to my list of things I want to make!

Rosa - Thank you. The pattern is Tulip Lady Fingers from quilterscache - http://quilterscache.com/T/TulipLadyFingersBlock.html. I love how it makes a second pattern (the stars).

Sue

• day2day
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Good morning. I am up early because we are getting sunshine today. Three good days in a row...a miracle.

Nannykins, I look forward to seeing those finished tops, especially Lover's Knot. I really like that pattern but have never tried it.

Sue, your quilt is lovely. The colors are so pretty. I find that color combo is very cheery but calming......can't quite explain it.
    It does have a secondary pattern. You see tulips or stars depending on how your eyes focus. COOL!!

Marsha ( didn't know before that that was your first name), you have been super busy. They are all nice but my favorite is the D9P. I love the colors...just perfect for a little girl.
    I like the look of SnWs but don't think I would ever try one.
    I also have to compliment you on your FMQ. It's fantastic. Like Rosa, I really want to learn this and be that good but I need LOTS of practice. I still have trouble doing FMQ on single blocks so it's going to be a long while before it looks as good as yours.

Have a great day.

~Geraldine

• bozogardener
    13 years ago

What gorgeous quilts. I love them all!

• day2day
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi.

I finally got the binding turned to the back on this one.
    Size is about 76"x88".

A while back, I asked on here for ideas for the quilting and want to thank those that replied. I decided to do a minimum amount.......makes it kinda loose and soft. Hope the recipient likes it.

Thank you also to Vicky for inspiration.

This was another scrap buster although I did use a lot of white. I always keep lots of white and black on hand.

My son is holding it up.......that's why the corners look wobbly.

~Geraldine

• sandlapper_rose
    13 years ago

Beautiful quilts, everyone!
    You make me feel so slow and lazy. I haven't finished a thing in March... Keep the inspiration coming though.
    Jeanne

• nanajayne
    13 years ago

Another scrappy winner. Like the use of white and I am not a big fan of white but it works very well with this pattern. Good job! TFS. Jayne

• magothyrivergirl
    13 years ago

Geraldine-I really like the contrast in your scrappy Pineapple Blossom. Very bright and cheery!

Rosa~the FM is done on a short arm Pfaff that I put on a frame. That is another huge learning curve. It is a very modest set up - cost less than the nice embroidery machines. I am teaching myself how to quilt on a frame thru lots of reading and watching You Tubes. There is alot of info on longarms-but not much avail on shortarm quilting.

• rosajoe_gw
    13 years ago

You are doing great Marsha!!! I have been toying with the idea of getting a frame system, but it will take up so much space. What kind of frame do you have??
    Rosa

• Joan Dupuis
    13 years ago

Beautiful machine quilting. I wish I'd have the nerve to try it, but I just have an ordinary sewing machine and fear I'd not have the space needed for my Queen sized quilts to move around.

This isn't a quilt, but I'll post my latest project anyway, a Xmas pillow for next year. My 2 girlfriends and I each have 2 more to make.

• nanajayne
    13 years ago

Love your pillow. Great design. Good job and good planning. TFS Jayne

• rosajoe_gw
    13 years ago

The pillow is gorgeous. Geraldine I love the pineapple!!

• day2day
    Original Author
    13 years ago

What a great Christmas pillow. I LOVE the way you used the red/green/dark units and also the use of the buttons. I think it's a winner. TFS.

~Geraldine

• day2day
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Good morning.

We are halfway through March. This month seems to be flying.
    I'm just checking in to see if anyone has any more finished projects or WsIP that they would like to talk about or show.

I haven't been doing any major sewing. I think I got burned out doing scrap buster quilts. Sometimes I take out fabrics and sometimes I look at my patterns and sometimes I think about what pattern could be used with certain fabrics. I haven't started anything new and, lo and behold, there are no UFOs. Perhaps I am in a 'looking-for-inspiration' phase. I have no desire to start new sewing projects. Whatever it is, I am enjoying it...no pressure.

I do read the posts here. Lately, there seems to be lots of activity on the forum and it sure is nice to see. I also spend lots of time reading blogs and googling quilting patterns,videos and pictures.

Look forward to your posts.
    Have a great day.

~Geraldine

• magothyrivergirl
    13 years ago

I have 2 projects I hope to get finished this month. I got one quilted and it is ready for the binding, and I am in the border stage on the second.

Geraline, how can you be so disciplined? I envy those of you who don't have multiple projects going at once. My life is project-crazy in general.

Bloom - love the pillow. I wait until too close to Christmas to sew - just to add that extra bit of chaos to the season.

• day2day
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Marsha, this is the first time in 11 years of quilting that I haven't had at least one quilting UFO.

I hope you manage to get your 2 projects finished before month's end. Would love to see them.

~Geraldine

• salijo
    13 years ago

Rebecca, I love the fabrics and color choices in your quilt. Very spring-looking!

Sue, nice job on your birthday quilt! I love seeing these quilts after they are completed, but not too many are posting photos. Thank you for sharing!

Marsha, I love your stack & whack....but then again, I'm a "color" person and this is very colorful! It seems a little intimidating to me, but maybe someday I'll give it a go....have too many in various stages of progress right now though.....and I haven't really finished anything except my mom's flamingo wall hanging last year!

Geraldine I really love your pineapple blossom quilt...again, it's very colorful and I love that!

Bloomorelse....your pillow is FABULOUS!

Good job everyone! Someday I will have something to show and tell!!!!
    Salijo

• Joan Dupuis
    13 years ago

I bought a panel with different framed leaves, and decided to cut them appart and make placemats with them.

They started like this -

I added a 1/2" black border to frame it -

then I added another border to make it the size I wanted -

and I just finished putting them together and binding them. There are 4 different leaves, and I made 2 of each.

• msmeow
    13 years ago

Bloom, I love your placemats! The leaf print for the border is perfect for the printed leaves!

Donna

• magothyrivergirl
    13 years ago

Bloom - what a great idea!!! What kind of batting did you use? I want to make placemats for a curved eating surface - think 1/2 of a round table.
    You need to post more~I love what you do!

• nanajayne
    13 years ago

What a lovily panel and you used it so well. Realy stricking colors. Great job. TFS Jayne

• day2day
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Beautiful placemats, Bloom. I like what you did with the panel. It's very creative.

~Geraldine

• msmeow
    13 years ago

Here are 2 tops I've finished this month.

Water wheel - started a few weeks ago in a Square in a Square ruler class:
    {{!gwi}}

Baltimore Blues, a BOM from Fat Cat Patterns from 2008 (I think). The blocks are hand appliqued and have been done for a couple of years, just waiting to be made into a top!

And not quilted, but finished! This is a crocheted baby afghan. I have 2 done now, so I think I'll send them off to Camp Boggy Creek. It's a camp near here for disabled kids.

• teresa_nc7
    13 years ago

Some wonderful new projects here on Show and/or Tell! Bloom, I love what you did with the leaves! Just lovely! And msmeow, all three of your projects are delightful! I do love blue/yellow/white quilts - a favorite of mine! And the crocheted blanket is very nice!

Love looking at everyone's work! I may have some projects to show in April....maybe....

Teresa

• msmeow
    13 years ago

Thanks, Teresa! That's at least my third blue & yellow quilt, so I think it's time to move on! :)

Donna

• day2day
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Beautiful projects,Donna. The appliqued one is stunning....LOVE the colors you used.TFS.

~Geraldine

• nanajayne
    13 years ago

Love show and tell. So many great projects and all different.
    Donna, very interesting projects. Nicely done. Interesting border on the water wheels and the applique is lovily. So much work! Good job TFS. Jayne

• day2day
    Original Author
    13 years ago

March,2011 will soon be history. It was a windy,snowy unsettled month in this area...quilting weather. However, I got very little sewing done. I did finish the Pineapple Blossom but most of it had been done earlier. I used 2 panels for baby quilts and have them sandwiched but that's it for them. I cut up another panel and made blocks and added sashings for a baby quilt and sandwiched the top, but no quilting done yet.

I have enjoyed the posts here and looking at all the wonderful quilts. If there is a project you are doing in March,please post about it. It doesn't have to be finished and pics aren't necessary.

I hope April is 'sewing-productive' for all of us.
    I may be at the garden a lot....can't wait for the snow to disappear. I also need to stock up on whites/neutrals/blenders, and when I go to quilt shops, I will be on the lookout for those.

Have a 'quilty' day.

~Geraldine

• magothyrivergirl
    13 years ago

msmeow - the Waterwheel is very pretty - what is the gist of the class/method? I can see how you made it-is it basically turning your focus block into a larger square w/ the pinwheels and wide sashing?
    Your Baltimore Blues is spectacular! SIMPLY GORGEOUS!
    I always admire your work.

Geraldine - Thank you for the Show and Tell - I am so impressed and inspired by the quilters here in our group!
    Your pineapple quilt makes me stop every time I scroll down - I may become a little bit scrappy - yikes!

• msmeow
    13 years ago

Thanks, Magothy! The water wheel is made using the Square in a Square ruler. It's a method developed by Jodi Barrows where you don't have to cut and sew triangles. The Baltimore Blues was a BOM from Fat Cat Patterns a couple (few!) years ago.

Here is a link that might be useful: Square in a Square book

Sponsored
Interior Style by Marisa Moore
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars57 Reviews
Northern Virginia Interior Designer - Best of Houzz 2013-2020!