Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
msmeow

Woohoo! Oldest UFO is finally done!

msmeow
12 years ago

I can't believe this quilt is actually on the wall! As far as I can tell from pictures and my EQ files, I started this sometime in 2006. DH hung it for me yesterday afternoon. I am so thrilled to have this huge thing out of my sewing closet! LOL

It's 10 ft wide and 5 ft long. It's called Florida Natives because all the hand appliqued plants in the center are native to Florida, and DH and I are both natives, too.

Here's the label:

Donna

Comments (17)

• magothyrivergirl
    12 years ago

Very cool and Congratulations!
    Did you stay up all night staring at it in awe?????LOL
    It is beautiful~worth all the time, effort, and energy.
    Very nice, thoughtful design.

• toolgranny
    12 years ago

Congratulations. That's a lot of work and to be able to hang and show it is such a triumph. Good job.

• day2day
    12 years ago

Congratulations on finishing it.
    It is beautiful and a very creative design.
    It's a large quilt and you can be forgiven for taking so long to finish it...lot of work there.
    I find that hand applique is relaxing but takes a long time to do.
    TFS.

~Geraldine

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    12 years ago

Donna, What a great accomplishment!!! You're probably bursting out in song everytime you look at it. Fantastic job!!!!

SharonG/FL

• nannykins
    12 years ago

Good for you! i have a few oldies I should dig out but nothing as gorgeous as this.
    Theresa

• K8Orlando
    12 years ago

Congrats, Donna! The applique looks great! Will you be bringing this for 'show and tell' next month at the guild meeting? I would love to see it!

Kate

• loisflan
    12 years ago

I'm sitting here in my office/sewing room which is about 10' x 11' thinking, "OMG, it's as long as that wall." What an achievement to visualize and then complete such a project. Very creative and beautiful. I love the herring bone border. Nice work, Donna.

• rosajoe_gw
    12 years ago

I love it, and the label lol!!!!

I was almost a native, dad's family was from Jacksonville and mom went to GA to visit and I came early lol!!!

My other 2 sisters are natives. You guys are rare you know!!!!!!!!!!!
    Rosa

• lindaoh_gw
    12 years ago

It is beautiful!
    Doesn't it feel great to finish a longtime UFO? I am still trying to imagine the size. That is huge!
    Linda OH

• bev2009
    12 years ago

Great job! I also love the border. It took me a minutes to realize your are the designer. I really like the plants, can you tell us what they are?

• msmeow
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you all so much! It feels great to have it done. I finished the top in Nov of 2009 and it sat in the closet for 2 years before I got up the nerve to start quilting it!

Kate - no - it won't be coming to show & tell. Mark said now that it's up there it's not coming down! LOL

Rosa, that's too funny how close you were to being a Floridian! Both our moms are Florida natives, too.

Bev, clockwise from upper right they are bougainvillea, allemanda, crape myrtle, day lilies, plumbagos, some cute white flowers whose name I don't remember (!), crotons, hibiscus, and banana leaves. And palm tree blocks in the outer corners; those are paper pieced rather than applique.

Donna

• nanajayne
    12 years ago

Congratulations. A proud moment when that was hung I am sure. A nice tribute to your native state. Well done.

• luvtosharedivs
    12 years ago

Wow!
    I can tell you put a lot of love into designing and constructing that piece of fabric art!
    Excellent job!

Is that a mariner's compass in the middle?

Julie

• lola99
    12 years ago

Congratulations! I like your design and your label is fantastic. :)

• Kristene Smith
    12 years ago

Well done! You inspire me to get onto my UFOs and get them finished

Kristene

• missflippins
    12 years ago

Just Beautiful! It looks like a lot of work and a very time consuming project, but well worth it I'm sure. What a joy it must be to have your very own design on your wall.

Corinne

• Robbi D.
    12 years ago

Well done! And beautiful, too!

You've given me inspiration that maybe the quilt I have sitting away in the cabinet may get finished one of these days??....

Robbi