Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
geezerfolks_sharon

March 2014 Quilting/Sewing Goals

It's March and my oldest daughter will be 54 on the third......sigh.

I have got to settle down and get to work! Have been sorting, cutting, trimming and trying to get my fabric and scraps organized a little better. I want to:
1. Finish Film at Three top
2. Finish Indian Hatch top
3. Sandwich at least 3 quilts....would like to make it 5
4. Wouldn't it be wonderful if I would 'complete' a quilt?!

The tops only need a few more rows attached then I can determine if they need borders or not. Pressing will take some time. Will also need to clear the sewing table if I'm going to do any quilting.

What are your March plans? It looks like a lot of the northerners won't be gardening anytime soon, so you might just as well sew.

SharonG/FL

Comments (33)

• ritaweeda
    10 years ago

Just yesterday we were discussing February's projects, where did it go?? Oh well, my only one didn't get finished but almost. I got the binding on the front yesterday, now I have to hand sew it to the back. No new projects on the drawing board yet and it's getting to be really nice outside, I'm not going to make any promises for March. But if I do happen to do something I'll post it.

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    Original Author
    10 years ago

That's the way to go, Rita! It sure is pretty out there today. Only 70 here but the sun is shining.

The Indian Hatchet (or whatever the heck it's called) top is together and I think I want to put a border on it. It's 40 X 56 so it won't hurt to add a few inches. The Geezer really likes it so I might just keep it by his chair to use.

SharonG/FL

• quiltingfox
    10 years ago

I got my sewing cabinets de-cluttered and gave some stuff away to my favorite S-I-L and refolded and organized my fabric based on what quilt it will be used for. My daffs are starting to bloom and since we had a really cold winter more are blooming this year than did last year. I am gonna keep a flowerpot with flowers and my rain gauge in it, but am giving my porch plants to my mom since hers froze and my S-I-L is gonna help me later in March dig all my daffs, hyacinths, daylily, rainlily, dwarf asiatic lilies, blackberry lily, cannas, and glads to take and plant in her garden, I am tired of fighting snakes, fire ants, weeds and triple digit heat in the summer months, so I am going to spend my time and my money on my indoor hobbies of quilting, crocheting, knitting, reading, embroidery, etc., that and hubby enjoys traveling which means things don't get watered much during summer months, so I am happy about this. So once my S-I-L and I dig the garden then F-I-L plans rent a backhoe and relevel that part of the yard so it can be mowed easily and leave no place for snakes to hide. So my to do list for March is:
    - put out a lot of fire ant poison, dig plants with S-I-L
    - cut more plastic templates and fabric for SBS blocks
    - hand piece some SBS and Granny Square blocks
    - cut plastic templates for my Farmer's Wife quilt
    - finish reading a few good books
    - finish my parent's Granny Patch crocheted afgan
    - cut borders for my parents' Card Tricks quilt

Best to you,
    Sandra

This post was edited by quiltingfox on Sun, Mar 2, 14 at 16:38

• grammyp
    10 years ago

Wow, everyone has lots of plans this month. I did get Jennifer's quilt sent back to her so I think I am caught up. For March I would like to:

-get binding on baby quilt
    -finish the wedding quilt
    -finish the graduation top
    -clean out flower beds
    -finish walk way to the back door

beverly

• jackier123
    10 years ago

I have no definite goals. Just whatever I get done is fine. I am still working on the borders for my Celtic Solstice and my Irish Chain. I have also decided to cut all my scraps into usable sized strips. This is a big undertaking. I have worked on just the green scraps most of the day today and still have about half to go. So far I am cutting 2", 2.5", and 3.5" strips. Anything smaller than 2" is going in the strips bin. One day I might actually make a strip quilt. LOL I decided to go with these sizes as they are the sizes that I use the most. It may take all month to get these scraps cut up! But I am determined to do it. I probably have enough to do several bed sized quilts. :)

Jackie

• msmeow
    10 years ago

Beautiful daffodils, Sandra! I don't think they grow down here.

Jackie, good luck with the scrap cutting! I keep telling myself I'm going to do that, too.

Next weekend (probably Friday) I'm going to 2 quilt shows. The weekend after that we have a 2-day handbell festival, and the weekend after that is the last one in March! So my only goal is going to be finishing the baby quilt for Mark's coworker.

Donna

• calliope
    10 years ago

Aside from quilting the New Year Mystery quilt, no quilting plans. I do have a new basket of odds and ends fabric. I forced myself to pitch the tiny bits from the last quilt making session. I have been known to save ridiculous pieces ":just in case". Most of the fabric I pitched in the basket after using them are are a square foot or smaller down to four inches. It will be a pleasant and mindless diversion when I want to enjoy an hour here and there in the sewing room to turn it all into HSTs against white. That way, the next time I get an urge to throw a quilt together I can fashion any number of a gazillion patterns from them quickly.

• nannykins
    10 years ago

March has several medical events on its calendar . I will have cataract surgery on both eyes and a visit to the dermatologist for a skin lesion. But I do plan to keep on whittling down the UFO pile. Two done in Feb. so onward and upward.
    Had a bit of a scare yesterday. Every time I tried to log on to this site, there was an error message that the server could not be reached. I began having withdrawal pains. I guess it didn't 't happen to the rest of you. Internet glitches!
    Theresa

• ritaweeda
    10 years ago

Theresa, although eye surgery is scary, you will be amazed at being able to see well again. I had both eyes fixed within a couple of weeks about 5 years ago and although I knew I was going blinder and blinder, the difference in clear color and brightness after each one was done seemed miraculous. I guess it's because the disease is so gradual that it's shocking to realize how bad you used to see. The day after my first surgery, I looked out my back door and was able to clearly see (with the fixed eye) a deer that was about 300 feet away!

• loisflan
    10 years ago

I have a lot of binding and labeling to do this month. I have three quilts at two different LAQers and two ready to be quilted. I will also keep working on the Baby Honu quilt and possibly start cutting fabric for a quilt for my husband. I've got a few ideas for scrap quilts too.

With all the snow we have this year (it's the fourth deepest snow pack on record for this date, I heard this morning), it may be June before I'm in the garden. Our first sailboat race is usually mid-May. That might be postponed again this year too. You need some time to get the boat out of storage, get it cleaned and tuned and get it launched. At this rate, we won't even be able to get it out of storage until May. Why, oh why, do I live in Minnesota? Next year, three months in Hawaii. Yay!

• jennifer_in_va
    10 years ago

I currently have 2 small projects in the works, the rainbow fan #1 & a small circular quilt #2. I'd like to get those both finished this month.

I pawned off my needle-turn applique back to my UFO friend that will be the center medallion of her UFO bella bella #3. I simply was NOT enjoying that work and saw it sitting here indefinitely, holding up the process! Couldn't have that, could we?? If she finishes this center, then I'll hopefully finish that quilt this month too.

I go to our guild's Quilt-In and am doing a workshop there on a larger circular quilt #4. Don't think I'll get that quilt finished this month, but will make progress on it.

I will also make progress on the bargello #5, at least getting it layered and begun.

Also get mom's quilt back from Beverly and have to put on borders and finish quilting them. This should be the top of the list, but probably won't be touched. My goal here is Mother's Day...so I have time, right?

I think I have enough to keep me busy, huh?

• littlehelen_gw
    10 years ago

I have to admit that it helped having a goal for February...something to shoot for in the sewing room. So my March goals is to ....finish February...LOL. I did complete all of the blocks for the garden fence quilt top that I set out for February, now I just need to assemble the rows ...maybe by April it will be ready for sandwiching.
    I'm dying to play with the Stof fabric I picked up in Florida, but I think that will wait till later in the year. No holidays or long weekend plans in March, so sewing time will be catch as catch can ... as my Momma used to say :-)
    V.

• quiltingfox
    10 years ago

Thanks Donna about the daffodils, they did bloom out pretty this year. Then Monday morning we had snow / rain mix and it flattened some of them, then Tuesday we had no school due to ice, though thankfully most of the ice stayed south of Alexandria so we did not have much ice and did not have power outages in our area. I am making good progress on my parents' crocheted Garden Patch Granny afgan, ... trying to finish it for my parents' anniversary gift that I want to give to them next weekend when my sister comes to visit with her family, ... once I get it finished I want to get busy with my quilting again. And I may end up adding a baby quilt to my to do list as my cousin's wife is going to have another baby, not quite sure yet when it is due.

Best to you,
    Sandra

This post was edited by quiltingfox on Thu, Mar 6, 14 at 11:06

• quiltingfox
    10 years ago

Well yesterday I finished crocheting my parents' Garden Patch Granny afgan in autumn colors, it's gonna' be their anniversary present. Now I got to repair a binding on my son's wolf throw and then I want to work on a ruffle scarf, then after that I want to start cutting borders for my parents' Card Tricks quilt this week.

Best to you,
    Sandra

• nannykins
    10 years ago

Finished another UFO yesterday and I sorted the rest with their backing and bindings, so all I need do is cut batting. When the mood is upon me and I have a free day, I can pick one up and work.
    Theresa

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I must admit, of all the flowers, I miss having all the Spring flowers in my yard the most. Your crocheted Garden Patch looks nice, Sandra. You sure work quickly!!

V. A monthly goal gives me something to aim for if I find myself floundering. I don't often complete the list, but at least it helps me remember what I was thinking the first of the month. lol

Getting my scraps in usable order has been fun....and productive! So much easier being able to pull the exact size needed rather than having to search and then cut. Getting them all gone through will take a long time, but doing some every day helps.

I've been making pastelish 3 1/2 inch 9 patches with the 1 1/2 inch squares and strips the last couple of days. Planning to set them in a 9-patch setting with plain white blocks.

Katie is back at Duke today so we'll have another report soon. Since they upped the chemo, she's had a very rough time, but is still trying to stay upbeat. She is my granddaughter's cousin and DGD has asked her to be in her wedding in June, so Katie has that to look forward to.....something fun and positive.

Thank you everyone for keeping us updated on what's happening in your world.

SharonG/FL

• calliope
    10 years ago

I committed this morning to a March project in a non-committed way. With the stacks of 3.5 inch squares salvaged from quilting scraps when I set my fabric in order I'm sewing little puff pillows. It's been at least eight years since I made a puff quilt, my first full sized quilt and I have bags of fill in the sewing room closet I might as well use. As I make each pillow, it's tossed into a big basket and can collect there until there is enough to start putting them together. Just gonna do a block pattern with plain and printed fabrics..........no mental exercise involved and no time frame. Perfect for when I feel like puttering in the sewing room.

• nannykins
    10 years ago

Another UFO finished this morning. It is the D4P that I made using the fat quarters from the swap that grammyp organized last year.
    The pile is shrinking!!
    Theresa

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Theresa, When is your eye surgery? Praying that all goes well. Good for you on finishing your UFO's!!!

This is nothing but a miracle! Remember when they told Katie she had 6 months, at the most, to live? Today, the doctor told Katie: "She told me the PET scan is negative. If there is any cancer cells they are microscopic so we are basically cancer free..... tumor is still there but no live cancer that they can see."

I have about 20 3 1/2" 9-patches made........I forgot to put Playing on my list this month! I was cleaning off the table to start quilting, decided to trim up some scraps that were on it then started sewing them. I might get to that quilting yet!.....plus make about 16 more Blue Ridge Beauty Blocks. :-)

SharonG/FL

• nannykins
    10 years ago

Wonderful news about Katie. Prayers do work.
    My right eye is being done on the 26 the and the left on the 31 st. Was measured today for the lens. Piece of cake. Thanks for asking Sharon.
    May do another UFO tomorrow if I get the vacuuming done early enough. I do want to finish that pile before starting another.
    Theresa

• ritaweeda
    10 years ago

So glad for your good news, Sharon. I bet you are feeling light as a feather right now.
    Hang in there, Theresa, yes it's scary but the results are worth all the worry. Make sure you follow after surgery instructions to the T.
    With the weather showing signs of Spring I've been feverishly trying to get ahead of the weeds here but it's a huge job. I have to use a kneeling bench to get up and down because of my back and it's tedious to keep moving it around but that's my only option. I could go on and on about what I've done and still need to do but this isn't a gardening forum so I'll spare you the details.

• msmeow
    10 years ago

Sharon, that's wonderful news about Katie!

I am still plodding along with the baby quilt. I haven't had much time to sew and when I do I don't feel like it! LOL I did finish my knitted shawl last night, so that's a bit of an accomplishment.

Now I've got the creeping crud my DH came down with on Sunday. He's really congested - both his head and chest. He was really sick Monday but says now he feels okay except for the congestion. So far I have sore throat and drippy nose...maybe I'll be lucky and it won't get worse.

Anyway, this weekend is booked solid, but after that I should have a couple of free weekends, so maybe I'll feel like quilting.

Donna

• quiltingfox
    10 years ago

Sharon that is great news about Katie!

Well I got 1 ruffle scarf crocheted and hope to make more for Mother's Day presents. This week I also got the side strips and corner blocks cut for the border for my parents' Card Tricks quilt and have started hand sewing them on, ... almost have 1 side finished, ... so making progress.

Best to you,
    Sandra

• jackier123
    10 years ago

I got my blue scraps cut up! Yay! Just the blue 2.5" strips alone were the equal of about 10 jelly rolls. :) I have my Celtic Solstice on the frame but have not started quilting it yet. I will probably start that this weekend. I think my next scraps to cut up will be the neutrals...

• littlehelen_gw
    10 years ago

Sharon ...nice to read about the good news on Katie...I'm sure that is a relief.

My March goal is to finish my Feb goal...I'm getting there. The garden fence quilt blocks have been assembled and sewn in rows...,now I need to sew the rows together. Maybe this Sunday...slow steady progress!
    V.

• polardream
    10 years ago

Sharon, what wonderful news about Katie! Miracles do happen. You might remember my little great nephew had cancer surgery for his 2nd birthday. He turned 5 in October and when he had his pet scan in January - they said he could go to one year screenings. Prayers continue for Katie to have good checkups!

I have been out of the sewing groove for so long - I need to set some goals!

1. Piece a sailboat baby quilt for one of DS's friends due in June
    2. Piece a "Disney princess" baby quilt for another of DS's friends due in July
    3. Quilt a charity quilt for church
    4. March lotto blocks

Looking forward to getting back to the machine and getting some things done.

Sue

• jackier123
    10 years ago

Beige and tan neutrals are cut up! I also have started quilting the Celtic Solstice today. I guess the browns are next on the cutting board. I also have come up with an idea for the challenge quilt. I just have to draw it out.

Jackie

• jackier123
    10 years ago

Orange scraps are cut up! I am slowly but surely working my way through my scrap bins. My husband is so bored during his recuperation from back surgery that he has been ironing them for me so that when I come home from work I can quickly cut them up.

Jackie

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Sue, So happy for your great nephew!!! Wonderful, wonderful!!!

Jackie, What sizes are you cutting your scraps into? I no longer have a lot of scraps, but I keep finding some here and there. Right now, I'm more interested in finishing some quilt tops and getting the rest of the scraps cut.

I've happened upon a couple of patterns I've not seen before and that uses scraps. One is the Splat Quilt and the other is making 12 1/2 inch blocks of scrappy strips:
    scrappy strips

Here is a link that might be useful: Splat Quilt

• jackier123
    10 years ago

I am cutting 2, 2.5 and 3.5 inch strips and squares. Anything left over gets put in the strip bin. Those are the sizes that I use the most so I figure I am more likely to use them up if I just cut those sizes.

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Jackie, That is so neat of your DH to iron your scraps. Those are the sizes I seem to use the most, too. Not so much 3 1/2" strips, but squares. Also, if a strip is less than 10" it gets cut into squares.

SharonG/FL

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The month of March just has a few more hours to go! The border is cut for the QOV Stash Attack and I cannot remember how many quilt tops I have piled up either waiting for borders or for me to decide if I even want to put a border on them. I have Blue Ridge Beauty ready to sew together, sewed the Dancing 9-Patches together tonight and am yawning like I've had a full day.....when all I did was get a few groceries and the little bit of sewing.

Next month's list is seriously being thought about!

SharonG/FL

• polardream
    10 years ago

WOW - This month has been busy!
    1. Piece a sailboat baby quilt for one of DS's friends due in June - Piecing DONE
    2. Piece a "Disney princess" baby quilt for another of DS's friends due in July - HALF DONE
    3. Quilt a charity quilt for church - DONE
    4. March lotto blocks - DONE & the quarterly lotto DONE

Everyone has so many goals ... will have to see what April brings!
    Sue